Author Topic: acu>rite weather station model # 00595 anemometer not working  (Read 8520 times)

Offline mudmixer

acu>rite weather station model # 00595 anemometer not working
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:11:07 AM »
Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase an anemometer for my weather station, everything works except the wind speed. Contacted Chaney Instruments they said wind sensor was no longer available for purchase, naturally. Hate to have to buy whole new unit for just 1 sensor. If so what brand and model would you recommend? With app same measurements and price as mine was, maybe including rain gauge.

Thank You:
Terry

Offline dee_po

Re: acu>rite weather station model # 00595 anemometer not working
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 01:35:13 PM »
 :-( We have the same  problem.   Looks like a new station is in order.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:38:40 AM »
AcuRite no longer carries that model or replacement parts, sorry! How long have you owned the 00595?

Offline cpayne

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »
I have been through 2 of the 00595 anemometers but today I figured out how to fix it.  Take off the lower spinning part and inside you will see there is a 1/8" magnet.  I simply added another small strong magnet that I had on my refrigerator with a slightly wider diameter so just wedged in next to it.  This increased the magnet power enough for the sensor to read it spinning again. In fact, there is a small speaker inside the anemometer that makes a tick sound on every rotation it can read the magnets rotation.  Not sure if it is the magnet that wears out or the sensor..but this did the trick.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 06:54:50 PM »
maybe the magnet is not holding its magnetism over time?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:44:39 AM »
There is actually a reed switch that is making the ticking sound as the magnet passes over it (causing a connection). The problem is- in some cases the reed switch will wear and not make it's connection all the way, especially if it has been in service where there is a constant wind. Putting a stronger magnet in there will simply cause it to make a full connection again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch

anything