Author Topic: I think I royally screwed up.  (Read 1143 times)

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
I think I royally screwed up.
« on: October 25, 2016, 07:08:56 PM »
If you read my previous post about my WS-2080 outside Humidity seeming to be way off, you'll know I have been questioning the accuracy of my outside sensor. I'm sure the sensor needs to be replaced and through discussions here it sounds like they tend to degrade over time. So I purchased a Dry/Wet bulb spirit filled thermometer to sanity check it. Now I have four thermometers and no two agree, four hygrometers and no two agree. I have two Thermco Mercury filled full immersion thermometers on order and I fear my insanity will continue when nothing agrees with them.

Not looking for help, just venting my frustration. I think I was better off before I knew what I knew was maybe wrong. Now I have no idea what to believe.
Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: I think I royally screwed up.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 07:13:26 PM »
ah  glass thermometers ,lab ones, have a range of error, which is calibrated at the posted temperature to compensate for thermal expansion of the glass.   You would have to consult a table to equate that to your room temperature. 

A wet bulb is a thermometer that has a piece of gauze saturated with distilled water.. you know that.

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 07:19:21 PM »
A wet bulb is a thermometer that has a piece of gauze saturated with distilled water.. you know that.

Yes, I know but, thanks. I wasn't sure if it needed to be distilled but I used it anyway just to avoid buildup on the wick. As for the lab thermometers, the Thermco's are coming with NIST traceable paperwork so at least I'll know how off they are.
Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 07:51:59 PM »
You can use a sealed container with water-saturated salt to create a 75% RH environment to calibrate RH sensors.

https://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/Humidity+Calibration,+Saturated+Salt+Test

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 07:57:35 PM »
Old proverb:  "Man with two watches never knows what time it is!"  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 08:09:47 PM »
Man with two watches never knows what time it is!"  :)

That why here we use Indian Time. No need for any watch.

John

anything