Author Topic: Weather-Display Carterlake-style AJAX/PHP website templates available  (Read 62213 times)

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
Re: Weather-Display Carterlake-style AJAX/PHP website templates available
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2008, 11:18:46 PM »
How long ago did you first download the package? There were some changes made to the menubar.php to call the flyout menu into it. If you have a recent version I'm afraid I'm not sure what the issue is, sorry.

Jack

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2008, 11:27:48 PM »
I now have a couple more questions.

1. How do I use the fly out menu. I do have it set to true in "settings", but not sure how to make it work in "menubar". I would like to add some external links from my "Web Cameras" menu to other cams in the area.

2. On the radar page when I zoom out to the last 2 settings, the red dot that shows the town moves from Idaho where it should be, to the west coast. Shows the coast of Oregon on the 2nd zoom out, all the way out shows around San Fransico. Is that possible to fix?

Other than that, things seem to be working great. Thanks again for all your help.

Jack is correct, the flyout-menu set was added to the distributions on Version 1.14 - 19-Mar-2008 - Flyout-menu system added, updated weather-screen-*-*.css and include-style-switcher.php to V1.08 (Mike Challis) (Canada, USA, World)
If you downloaded before that, then your copy doesn't have the flyout-menu capability.  If that's the case, I'd suggest you download a fresh copy of the distribution, save off your Settings.php, and upload the fresh copy, the overwrite the distribution's Settings.php with your copy, and check the configuration for the flyout-menu in the settings setup page on my site.

For the WU-Radar, you'll need to do a customization of the nine different dots for your site by using the WU-radar-testpage.php?show=loc and following the instructions at http://saratoga-weather.org/scripts-WUradar.php#WUradar

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2008, 11:31:03 PM »
Can't remember if I posted to you or someone else, but on your webcam page, the link you have is to your internal IP address, not external WAN...

This is the photo link I see both at the bottom of my browser when the page is loading, and when I right-click on the blank image to get info: 

"http://192.168.1.150:6969/SnapshotJPEG?"

This needs to be the WAN_IP:6969 for the outside world to see the image...

I now have a couple more questions.

1. How do I use the fly out menu. I do have it set to true in "settings", but not sure how to make it work in "menubar". I would like to add some external links from my "Web Cameras" menu to other cams in the area.

2. On the radar page when I zoom out to the last 2 settings, the red dot that shows the town moves from Idaho where it should be, to the west coast. Shows the coast of Oregon on the 2nd zoom out, all the way out shows around San Fransico. Is that possible to fix?

Other than that, things seem to be working great. Thanks again for all your help.
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2008, 11:32:41 PM »
How long ago did you first download the package? There were some changes made to the menubar.php to call the flyout menu into it. If you have a recent version I'm afraid I'm not sure what the issue is, sorry.

Jack

I D/L it on Sunday, so it should be current. I have no idea how to add the links into the flyout menu. Right now, everything is a single link. I would like to be able to have multiple links from the single link.  ie: Webcams-->My Cams/Weather Cams/Nature Cams/Hiway Cams.

Thanks for the directions, I will work on the radar.
EDIT:Radar is done.

I'll check the address for the cam, thought I fixed that already.
EDIT: Webcam should be fixed.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:34:08 PM by prvrt »
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2008, 12:05:26 AM »
To enable the flyout-menu, you'll need to change your Settings.php to have
Code: [Select]
$SITE['flyoutmenu'] = true;
Then you can configure the menu by editing flyout-menu-test.xml to add items (as shown in the file), test the menu by using index.php?menu=test to see the result, fixing any XML errors (and repeat until clean).  Then you can copy flyout-menu-test.xml over flyout-menu.xml , upload flyout-menu.xml and it will be your new menu.

Best regards,
Ken
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2008, 12:13:24 AM »
To enable the flyout-menu, you'll need to change your Settings.php to have
$SITE['flyoutmenu'] = true;
Then you can configure the menu by editing flyout-menu-test.xml to add items (as shown in the file), test the menu by using index.php?menu=test to see the result, fixing any XML errors (and repeat until clean).  Then you can copy flyout-menu-test.xml over flyout-menu.xml , upload flyout-menu.xml and it will be your new menu.

Best regards,
Ken

That was what I was looking for. I was looking in the wrong place. I had the setting.php set to true, but was not sure what to do next. Thanks
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline ADM

• Contributor
    • Barrow County Weather - Barrow County, Georgia
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
I am just now attempting to get WD setup (been using VWS).  For us "new" WD users is there any documentation outlining the specifics of what is needed from WD to provide the necessary information for the templates?  WD is a great application and there is a quite a bit of setup needed.  Finding out just need what is required for the templates would be extremely helpfull.  I have the template site running but struggling with getting data out of WD.

Many Thanks!

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
Hi!
It would help to know which flavor of the template you're using (USA, Canada, World), and to have an URL to the main page on the site.

There are three data files needed by the USA/Canada/World template set:
1) testtags.php (for the majority of the weather data)
2) trends-inc.html (for the wxtrends.php page) and
3) clientraw.txt (for the near-real-time AJAX updates)

The first two files have instructions in the WD-webfiles/README.txt for how to set up WD to upload them routinely.

The clientraw.txt file is done via the WD, Control Panel, WebFiles/Web Page/Realtime FTP, RealtimeFTP TAB

Tick: rename the file as a temporary file
5 Sec delay between uploading data
Tick: Upload the extra file every 5 minutes
Tick: Upload the clientrawhour every 5 minutes

Turn the main switch to On, press Start Now and OK
You should see a small yellow icon in the taskbar with a red up-arrow showing up every 5 seconds.. that will be the clientrawrealtime uploader process running.

Sorry there isn't a shorcut sheet (quite yet) on what to set up for the template set :(

Best regards,
Ken

Offline ADM

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2008, 07:25:09 PM »
I am using the USA version.  I have followed your instructions but still am not getting current infoprmation as it relates to "Almanac" information and "rain days in".  This is my "test" link http://php.rockycreekweather.com/wxindex.php

Also, can't seem to get anything updated from the "Almanac" menu other than the monthly reports.

Many thanks!

Hi!
It would help to know which flavor of the template you're using (USA, Canada, World), and to have an URL to the main page on the site.

There are three data files needed by the USA/Canada/World template set:
1) testtags.php (for the majority of the weather data)
2) trends-inc.html (for the wxtrends.php page) and
3) clientraw.txt (for the near-real-time AJAX updates)

The first two files have instructions in the WD-webfiles/README.txt for how to set up WD to upload them routinely.

The clientraw.txt file is done via the WD, Control Panel, WebFiles/Web Page/Realtime FTP, RealtimeFTP TAB

Tick: rename the file as a temporary file
5 Sec delay between uploading data
Tick: Upload the extra file every 5 minutes
Tick: Upload the clientrawhour every 5 minutes

Turn the main switch to On, press Start Now and OK
You should see a small yellow icon in the taskbar with a red up-arrow showing up every 5 seconds.. that will be the clientrawrealtime uploader process running.

Sorry there isn't a shorcut sheet (quite yet) on what to set up for the template set :(

Best regards,
Ken

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2008, 10:28:53 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I see your testtags.php is not uploading, and your trends-inc.html is not current.  Did you take (from the WD-webfiles/ dir in the distribution)

testtags.txt
trends-inc.txt

need to be placed in your Weather-Display \webfiles directory.

Use the Weather-Display Control Panel,
Web Files/Web Page/Real Time FTP/WDL,
Custom Web Page Setup TAB

In the 'Special file conversion' area

put:  trends-inc.txt     in local file 1
      trends-inc.html    in Remote file name 1

testtags.txt       in Local File 2
      testtags.php       in Remote file name 2

Turn the switch to ON

Press Test

Press OK to save the settings.

You may also have to use the WD, Control Panel, Internet File Creation/Uploads, Setup Page#2 TAB

and for File#29 (Special Custom File Convers.), press SET

Select Update every 5 minutes, switch Use These Settings to ON and press OK to save settings.
It may be that you just don't have an upload frequency set for those files.

Check it by viewing http://php.rockycreekweather.com/testtags.php?sce=view
and making sure that
$time = "9:10 PM"; // current time
$date = "12/22/07"; // current date
have changed to your current date/time.  That indicates the upload was successful.

Do the same for your wxtrends.php page and make sure the date/time at the top is 'current'.

You are also missing some cache files:

forecast.txt
uv-forecast.txt

Create blank files and upload them, then set the permissions to 666 or 777 so they can be written by PHP .. it will speed up the loading of your pages.

Best regards,
Ken

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2008, 10:52:25 PM »
Ken, I just noticed today after looking at my website for a few months  :oops: that my Solar Radiation shows (current number)W/m2(0%). Why does the 0% never change? Is there something I missed? Also, what exactly is this the % of? Thanks for your help.
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2008, 11:18:41 PM »
The (nn%) is the percentage of expected solar radiation for your lat/long/date/time .. it's a figure computed by Weather Display, and the percentage is used (if you select it) to estimate your cloud cover (WD, Control Panel, Solar Sensor, Threshold/Icon/Solar Description TAB)

Mine is set for:
83% and up, 'Sunny'
65% and up, 'Mostly Sunny'
35% and up, 'Partly Cloudy'
10% and up, 'Mostly Cloudy'
<10% 'Overcast'
0% for dark/night 'Night Time'

Best regards,
Ken

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2008, 12:00:24 AM »
Thanks Ken, always helpful with precise instructions.
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline ADM

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2008, 08:31:52 AM »
I fixed it.  Thanks again for your help!

Ken, thanks for all your help.  I believe I have most of this straightened out excpet for the "trends" page http://php.rockycreekweather.com/wxtrends.php.  Date at the top of tha page appears to be off.  I have checked everywehre I can think of but no success.  Also, no UV information on the "home page".

Since I have just begun using WD I think most of the issues were related to getting WD setup to use the templates.  AT this point I may have more options in WD setup than may be needed.  It would be great if there were a document outlining the basic setup needed for WD when using these templates.  If I can help with that document in any way let me know.

Once again, thanks for your help and the great templates!

Al...

Thanks for the info!

I see your testtags.php is not uploading, and your trends-inc.html is not current.  Did you take (from the WD-webfiles/ dir in the distribution)

testtags.txt
trends-inc.txt

need to be placed in your Weather-Display \webfiles directory.

Use the Weather-Display Control Panel,
Web Files/Web Page/Real Time FTP/WDL,
Custom Web Page Setup TAB

In the 'Special file conversion' area

put:  trends-inc.txt     in local file 1
      trends-inc.html    in Remote file name 1

testtags.txt       in Local File 2
      testtags.php       in Remote file name 2

Turn the switch to ON

Press Test

Press OK to save the settings.

You may also have to use the WD, Control Panel, Internet File Creation/Uploads, Setup Page#2 TAB

and for File#29 (Special Custom File Convers.), press SET

Select Update every 5 minutes, switch Use These Settings to ON and press OK to save settings.
It may be that you just don't have an upload frequency set for those files.

Check it by viewing http://php.rockycreekweather.com/testtags.php?sce=view
and making sure that
have changed to your current date/time.  That indicates the upload was successful.

Do the same for your wxtrends.php page and make sure the date/time at the top is 'current'.

You are also missing some cache files:

forecast.txt
uv-forecast.txt

Create blank files and upload them, then set the permissions to 666 or 777 so they can be written by PHP .. it will speed up the loading of your pages.

Best regards,
Ken

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:33:13 AM by ADM »

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2008, 03:17:52 PM »
Hello, I need some help with this. I have read all 5 pages and have done everything listed on here. My site does allow php I run several php apps and have been for years so that isn't an issue. I am on Bluehost if that matters any. I can not get the site to update at all and I have gone all through the settings and the files are being uploaded and everything is set to the best of my knowledge. Where do I need to start looking to feel this out and troubleshoot?

http://www.mesquitechristmas.com/weather/wxindex.php

-Thanks

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2008, 04:17:53 PM »
Hi!

I think the first issue is that Weather-Display is not uploading either testtags.txt -> testtags.php nor trends-inc.txt ->trends-inc.html so that will mean the basic weather values (non-AJAXed) are from December, 2007 and my station (I'd included sample files in the distribution so you could load the templates and not get a 'not found' error).

Unpack the two files (trends-inc.txt and testtags.txt) from the WD-webfiles/ directory in the distribution zip, and put them in your c:\wdisplay\webfiles directory.  Then follow the guide in the README.txt in the WD-webfiles/ directory to setting up Weather Display.  You also may need to add a schedule for update using the WD, Control Panel, Internet File Creation/Upload, Setup Page#2 TAB
File #29 Special Custom file convers.

Click on Set, Select Update every 5 minutes, Turn the Use these Settings to ON and press OK

You should then see the testtags.php and trends-inc.html update on your site.
Check it by viewing http://www.mesquitechristmas.com/weather/testtags.php?sce=view and making sure the $time, $date is NOT

Second, you should change ajaxWDwx.js to point to your relative URL location of clientraw.txt.  As distributed, the template expects to be in the document root directory of your website, and you've installed in the /weather/ directory.  So, you should change ajaxWDwx.js to have
var clientrawFile = '/weather/clientraw.txt'; // location of clientraw.txt relative to this page on websiteThis should get you going again.

Best regards,
Ken

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »
Thanks Ken for your reply. I had done the first part of that already as addressed in other posts. Those files were showing up in my sever so I was assuming they were getting uploaded or overwritten. It was late last night when I was setting this up so I double checked everything you posted and then deleted the old testtags.php and the trends.html. The trends is getting FTP but the testtags isn't. Everything looks the be correct as you explained. Everything is updating not with a couple small issue. I am getting and error because the testtags.php is not getting uploaded and not sure as to why and it gives me errors on the page. Also all the times in the dashboard say 4:00pm for everything. I am going to assume this is from the tags not being uploaded?

-Thanks

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2008, 07:52:58 PM »
Correct!  If the testtags.php is not there, you'll get an error message as it's a required file for the template.

Double check your WD setup to make sure that testtags.txt is in the Local filename and testtags.php is in the Remote filename.

Also check to make sure that testtags.txt in c:\wdisplay\webfiles contains actual WD variables (like $time = '%time%'; ) and not a numeric value.  If it contains a time instead of the %time% tag, then replace it with the testtags.txt from the distribution zip file. 

I'm not sure your trends-inc.txt is consistently uploading to trends-inc.html .. It's now 18:51 Central, and your last timestamp shows 20-Jul-2008 at 3:53pm  .

Best regards,
Ken

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2008, 08:36:56 PM »
Double check your WD setup to make sure that testtags.txt is in the Local filename and testtags.php is in the Remote filename.

Yes they are... and the files are in the correct WD folder in the local folder.

Also check to make sure that testtags.txt in c:\wdisplay\webfiles contains actual WD variables (like $time = '%time%'; ) and not a numeric value.  If it contains a time instead of the %time% tag, then replace it with the testtags.txt from the distribution zip file.

Yes, it is correct and contains the correct variable...

Is their some other setting I might be overlooking? I have tripled checked everything and it all seems to be as it is suppose to be.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »
I think I found my problem because it is working now. I guess I accidentally copied both testtages.txt and.php into the wed/webfiles folder. I just show happened to scroll down in the window and saw it. I deleted it and it is working now.

Two other minor issues though. The heat index is not reporting the correct value and the Tonight and tomorrows forecast is not correct at the bottom. The Davis forecast is right though. Any idea where I can find the settings for those?

-Thanks

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2008, 09:41:45 PM »
In your Settings.php, you still have
$SITE['fcsturlNWS'] = 'http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=mtr&smap=1&textField1=37.26389&textField2=-122.02194&TextType=2'; which is the forecast for my site (Saratoga, CA).

You need to change it to
$SITE['fcsturlNWS'] = 'http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Mesquite&state=TX&site=FWD&textField1=32.769&textField2=-96.5998&TextType=2'; which should be your Mesquite, TX (Dallas County) URL.

When you say 'Heat Index' are you refering to the "Feels like:  94°F " on your wxindex.php page?  There isn't a direct Heat Index display in the template set.

Best regards,
Ken

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2008, 11:14:47 PM »
Oh yea I forgot about that link. My office is down though so I am unable to get the correct URL for that setting. I used the one you posted but it didn't work so I guess I need to wait it out until they get it fixed so I can get to correct URL.

I know in the testtags.php I saw a tag for heat index. Would it be possible to switch the feels like tag out with the actually heat index? It was showing over 100 degrees today when it was actually only 104.

One other small issue while I have you, I have changed the header out with an image but it is shifted right. I have played with the CSS and classes and can't get it to slide over. Any ideas of what I could check?

-Thanks

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2008, 12:32:31 AM »
WD uses Humidex to set the %feelslike% variable, and I don't know of a way to change that.  The ajaxWDwx.js script uses the same default values (and humidex) to set the conditions color word (same as WD).

You're free to change the code in ajax-dashboard.php and ajaxWDwx.js as you like if you want to include HeatIndex instead .. it's only valid if the temperature is above 80F (according to NOAA).

Your header graphic (http://www.mesquitechristmas.com/weather/images/wxheader.png) is fairly hefty (347.22 KB) -- you should consider resizing it to no more that 780px wide, and switching to jpg or gif to get a much smaller size.  With 780px wide and the 'narrow' css, the image should appear centered as it is.

Best regards,
Ken

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2008, 02:04:11 AM »
WD uses Humidex to set the %feelslike% variable, and I don't know of a way to change that.  The ajaxWDwx.js script uses the same default values (and humidex) to set the conditions color word (same as WD).

You're free to change the code in ajax-dashboard.php and ajaxWDwx.js as you like if you want to include HeatIndex instead .. it's only valid if the temperature is above 80F (according to NOAA).

I looked in the ajax-dashboard.php and it looks like the logic is written for Heat Index and Wind Chill. It also looks like it has the color set also like I was wanting to do already. So do you know if their is a way to display the heat index if about 80 and wind chill is lower then 60?

Your header graphic (http://www.mesquitechristmas.com/weather/images/wxheader.png) is fairly hefty (347.22 KB) -- you should consider resizing it to no more that 780px wide, and switching to jpg or gif to get a much smaller size.  With 780px wide and the 'narrow' css, the image should appear centered as it is.

Yea I had it set as a .png because that way I can edit it in Fireworks until I get it how I like it. Once I set it as a .gif. or .jpg then I can't edit it. I can save one of each and then just overwrite the .gif. .jpg as I make changes to the .png but that is a pain. I have it set has a gif now and down to 37 kb so I am good with that now. I set the size to 770px so I can have the red background come through on the edges. Now while that gets it inside the layout now. It still looks like I have a padding or margin issue on the left side. I looked in the CSS and I couldn't find an attribute for it. Do you know if their is one that controls that and maybe I am just overlooking it?

-Thanks

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2008, 04:59:42 AM »
I fixed the Header image issue that is square. I will keep playing around with the other stuff...

-Thanks

anything