Author Topic: Can the HOMEWEATHERSTATION Dashboard template be run on a NAS?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline wow400

Can the HOMEWEATHERSTATION Dashboard template be run on a NAS?
« on: January 28, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
Firstly, please excuse my ignorance and if this is in the wrong section then mods feel free to delete.

I have a Synology NAS & would like to use it to host the HOMEWEATHERSTATION Dashboard template.
Now, I know nothing / zero / zip about website hosting / SQL / Python programming etc but can generate work things out over time!

No point starting to work this out though if the dashboard template cannot actually work on the NAS though!

Be very grateful for a yes/no & any pointers.
Kind regards
Nic

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
Re: Can the HOMEWEATHERSTATION Dashboard template be run on a NAS?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »
The template is written in PHP if Synology NAS is configured for PHP then it should be no problem , I was asked way back in early 2016 and as far i can remember everything turned out ok. too far back for me to remember who asked etc but I remember seeing phpMyAdmin support so i really don't see any problems.

i see it is PHP 7 compatible last time I looked back in early 2016 it was not but now https://www.synology.com/en-uk/releaseNote/PHP7.0?model=DS115

sorry cant be much help but you will know more than I about NAS setups .

brian

Offline wow400

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
Thank you again Brian.
Kind regards,
Nic

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 05:24:59 PM »
Synology "Webstation" works with PHP and MariaDB/PHPMyAdmin (MySQL) so the template should work fine with a Synology but I have not tried it myself.

Regards

Offline wow400

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »
Thanks guys - I'll try it & see how I get on!
Cheers,
Nic

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 06:13:21 AM »
it should definitely work, my site runs on a QNAP NAS though I have an updated Apache/PHP Package than the built in one.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline wow400

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 06:37:50 AM »
Thanks Simon,
I've managed to get the template onto my NAS ok & I can access the blank data within the template via PC / iPad etc but I've ground to a halt trying to get the data from the WS1001 onto the NAS  :-(
I've tried every permutation of server address on the PWS but for the life of me I can't get the NAS to receive the data.

I'm completely stumped and don't know how to progress!

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 07:00:37 AM »
what Weather station software are you using at present? You need to setup your software to upload the data to your webserver.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline wow400

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 07:45:31 AM »
I'm using 2.3.6
In the root of my NAS, I've got a folder 'web' which is the default webpage directory on the NAS and within that I've got a folder 'pws' which contains all the web page components - one of which is the folder 'weatherstation' which has the updateweatherstation.php file along with an old ws1001.json file.

The NAS is found (obviously in my local network) at 192.168.0.201
So to get to the template I go to http://192.168.0.201/pws/ on my iPad within the local network and it brings up the template ok.
Externally, I'm on http://www.wow400.diskstation.me/pws/, and again that brings up the template just fine.

I've edited the server.ini file to this (I've kept rtupdate.wunderground.com in so I don't lose the data to Weather Underground if the echo doesn't work)
[Menu]
default=www.wunderground.com
web=2
web1=www.wunderground.com
web2=www.wow400.diskstation.me

[www.wunderground.com]
Server=rtupdate.wunderground.com
ServerType=php
ServerPort=80
UploadType=Customize
ReadOnly=true

[www.wow400.diskstation.me]
Server=192.168.0.201/pws
ServerType=php
ServerPort=80
UploadType=Customize
ReadOnly=true

I've also tried Server=wow400.diskstation.me/pws too (with a reboot of the PWS after every server.ini update of course) but to no avail.

Does that make any sense?
Kind regards,
Nic

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 08:00:22 AM »
slightly different than this example here:

https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/faq.html

Configuring the WS1001 AMBIENT Clones
Regards Simon

Offline wow400

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »
It's essentially the same I think - I ran it past Brian & he couldn't see any issues with it...

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
and can you access that IP address (192.168.0.201/pws) from your PC without any form of authentication, ie username/password? at the end of the day that share is an Apache Webfolder that requires permissions to write files to it.
Regards Simon

Offline wow400

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »
I can:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 10:15:05 AM »
I am not sure as to how your WS sends the data. does it use IP, SMB, FTP? all usually require some form of access authentication username/password, unless the share allows for "guest access" which is pretty unsafe on a webserver unless some form of access control can be done.

can you access \\192.168.0.201\websharename from a file manager and not a web browser? I cannot see how your WS would use http(port 80) to transfer data to a NAS webshare.

what does UploadType=Customize actually mean?
Regards Simon

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 04:27:17 PM »
I am not sure as to how your WS sends the data. does it use IP, SMB, FTP? all usually require some form of access authentication username/password, unless the share allows for "guest access" which is pretty unsafe on a webserver unless some form of access control can be done.

can you access \\192.168.0.201\websharename from a file manager and not a web browser? I cannot see how your WS would use http(port 80) to transfer data to a NAS webshare.

Nic, have you copied (the modified) server.ini to your 1001?

Regards

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:40:27 PM by droiddk »

Offline wow400

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »

Regards

Hi, thanks for the reply - yes, I've copied the server.ini to the PWS & rebooted it but nothing came back to the NAS.
I can also view the file whilst on the directory of the PWS & it's there in its entirety.

Offline wow400

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »

Hi Simon, all very good questions - ones to which I have no answer!
The producer of the weather template has options for using https but I didn't enable it as I just wanted to get it up & running before worrying about enhanced security.

I've no idea how the PWS sends its data - outside my knowledge limits I'm afraid but from what little I understand, it sends this .json file to weather underground, hence the rtupdate.wunderground.com in the server.ini file.

No idea what the UploadType=Customize means - that might be an issue but I've absolutely no idea how to work out what it does.

I can see what you mean about access authentication, I did wonder that myself. I wonder if the Synology NAS web page area is 'fenced off' somehow between itself & the 'rest' of the NAS...

Really sorry I can't give any more info!
Kind regards,
Nic

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 10:55:08 AM »

Regards

Hi, thanks for the reply - yes, I've copied the server.ini to the PWS & rebooted it but nothing came back to the NAS.
I can also view the file whilst on the directory of the PWS & it's there in its entirety.

Ok, I think its time for the builder of the template to give his comments.

Regards

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 12:15:46 PM »
you could try lowering the folder share access on your NAS to see if that works. though it is not advised to do so. worth a shot just to see if anything "works"

just give the web folder or where ever "Guest" access too - just as a test.
Regards Simon

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Regards Simon

Offline wow400

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »
That's a good find Simon - haven't managed to find that yet!
I'll have a work through that & see if I can't work something out.
Thanks again,
Nic