Author Topic: My station takes all my Mbps!!  (Read 3829 times)

Offline BrentESmith

My station takes all my Mbps!!
« on: February 17, 2015, 06:13:41 AM »
Hi All!
I am in the small town of Abadiania, GO Brazil. My ISP is wireless, not that fast, and I have the fastest available.
Non-Peak (7-9Mbps Down, 3Mbps Up) , Peak (4-6Mbps Down, 1.5Mbps Up)
Station - Ambient Weather WS-1400IP 'IGOISABA2'
Router - TP-Link TL-WR740N Wireless N 150Mbps

During the PWS upload (every 5-6 minutes), the internet on my computer is unuseable.
In between time, it seems to be half as fast.
I had to remove the station till I figured it out. :(

Can I set up, purchase, or adjust anything to relieve my pain?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: My station takes all my Mbps!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:19:28 AM »
This is weird, but it especially depends where you are sending your data to. It could be that the receieving server is very slow or non-responsive, so the station tries to resend the data.

It would be useful if you could provide more details as to what you mean by "PWS upload" - in other words where is your station sending data and also the settings of your upload (number of retries etc.)

Offline BrentESmith

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:10:42 AM »
Thanks for the reply!
I am uploading the info to WeatherUnderground.
I do not know +where is your station sending data and also the settings of your upload (number of retries etc.)+

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 09:13:07 AM »
OK, well then tell me what software you use. I use for example Meteobridge. I upload data to several networks (WU, Awekas, Weathercloud.net) + MySQL db and I have absolutely no problems with bandwith, even though mine isnt much faster than yours.

Try describing the scheme you have at home - in other words, how is your station connected, is it connected directly to computer, which is connected to the router? For example I have my weather station connected to meteobridge, which is a small router that wirelessly sends the data to my main router at home.

Also check the IP address and DNS. It could be something wrong with that, these things are sometimes unpredictable....

The major thing though should be the settings of the software you use to upload data. You could also check your firewall to make sure nothing is blocking that software or slowing it down.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:25:06 AM »
The Ambient Weather WS-1400IP has it's own web interface and handles the WU uploads much like the meteobridge in concept.

On the "Wiki" page they have a link to the User Manual: http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/Manuals/ws1400ip.pdf

I looked through it, but I didn't see anything that would seem to help with this issue.

I also did not see a "Rapid Fire" option for the WU upload, which was going to be a suggestion.

Are there a lot of people using the WiFi internet service? Could it be too busy?

Also, if your WiFi router has an option to change the wireless channel, you could try a different one.

I like this Netsurveyor tool to see what the wireless environment looks like. You might be able to see if everyone is crowded on one channel so you could select a less busy one.

Update: sorry, that was the "pro" one, here is the link to the free one: http://nutsaboutnets.com/netsurveyor-wifi-scanner/

Greg H.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:31:57 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:36:32 AM »
Whenever you feel frustrated, think of me.  I've only got 26.4 kbs dialup where I live.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline BrentESmith

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
The weather station (Ambient Weather WS-1400IP) is wireless connected to a receiver (Ambient Weather ObserverIP Receiver), then wired (Ethernet Cable) to my home router (TP-Link TL-WR740N Wireless N 150Mbps).
I am using the included software (IP Tools). http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html#caption
The settings in the IP Tools seem simple and not many options.
I have not messed with the router settings yet, so please let me know where to start. I am sorry jachym, but I am fairly new to this.:)

Host IP - 192.168.0.105
IP - 255.255.255.255

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 09:40:48 AM »
Well the first thing you need to do is to check whether your connection is so slow during uploads because it really is transferring some enourmous amount of data or someway other loads your network or to check whether there isnt for example some collision with your IP/DNS etc. There are softwares that measure the transferred amount of data by various sources, so I would try measuring how much data is transferred by the router.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:42:14 AM »
The weather station (Ambient Weather WS-1400IP) is wireless connected to a receiver (Ambient Weather ObserverIP Receiver), then wired (Ethernet Cable) to my home router (TP-Link TL-WR740N Wireless N 150Mbps).
I am using the included software (IP Tools). http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html#caption
The settings in the IP Tools seem simple and not many options.
I have not messed with the router settings yet, so please let me know where to start. I am sorry jachym, but I am fairly new to this.:)

Host IP - 192.168.0.105
IP - 255.255.255.255

Sure, well in this case, you need to check the settings of your home router and try finding some software to measure the amount of data transferred through your receiver. I would also try assinging a fixed IP to the receiver.

It would also be interesting to try whether the connection slows down in general or if you tried it on a different computer, there could also be problem just with your computer and not the network.

Offline BrentESmith

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 09:48:42 AM »
miraculon - I will try the program, thanks! The Internet Provider network is pretty overloaded in general, but as far as our home router, only my wife and I use it.
jachym - The connection slows down on both computers and devices. I will try the 'fixed ip', I need to learn a little about it...

Offline BrentESmith

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:09:24 AM »
miraculon - I am getting info, but don't know what it means. HaHa!
With all my neighbors 'visible', ch11 stays around 70%, my printer (which is powered off ?) is ch6 bounces from 10% to 50%, when my router is the only thing 'visible' it stays around 50%.
Addition - I plugged the PWS receiver in... ch11  60% , Beacon Strength -53 , 5.0119 average
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:15:23 AM by rexmani »

Offline BrentESmith

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
jachym - The basic firewall setting on my router: Should I disable one or some?
SPI Firewall
PPTP Passthrough
L2TP Passthrough
IP Sec Passthrough
FTP ALG
TFTP ALG
H323 ALG
RTSP ALG

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 10:46:29 AM »
Hmmm... the problem is that with these network issues there is zillion things that can go wrong... just try playing around with setting fixed channel, fixed IP, Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) etc. to see if that helps.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 11:02:54 AM »
miraculon - I am getting info, but don't know what it means. HaHa!
With all my neighbors 'visible', ch11 stays around 70%, my printer (which is powered off ?) is ch6 bounces from 10% to 50%, when my router is the only thing 'visible' it stays around 50%.
Addition - I plugged the PWS receiver in... ch11  60% , Beacon Strength -53 , 5.0119 average

Watch the "AP Timecourse" tab for a while and make sure that you are not dropping out. If the Beacon Quality drops out, this could be a problem. If it is nice and steady, it is OK. With such a good Beacon Strength, WiFi reception is probably not a problem.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 04:27:57 PM »
Mine is faster 36 mbps down 5 up.  In any case, let's see if I can put in my two cents.

Your router, do you have a password, so it is password protected?  If you don't you should . I have a neighbor somewhere here that I could theoretically attach wirelessly to his/her router as there is no password.  So you want to start there.  Does anyone know your password, if so, find out how to change it.  I know all your devices will need to be reconnected via password.   the same goes your your modem. There are scum sucking bottom feeders who steal bandwidth.

Next check your connection speed with your ambient on board running and with it not running after a clean re-boot of your computer.  Now that measures the speed from where it comes it leaves the house to the in coming signal.   

If this is something suddenly happening, the loss of bandwidth,  I would guess you have trolls stealing it. Change your passwords.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »
Have you actually tested your speed? Could be ISP issue. Try test my speed it will give a more accurate speed. http://testmy.net/
Randy

Offline Arktikos

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 07:20:53 PM »
Hi, I have the very same WS-1400-IP and I have 1 mbps dsl up and download and I haven't noticed any issue in speed of the internet for other applications nor any difference in data consumption. We are on a 20 gig per month plan. My station is reporting to WU in rapid fire mode, and my sense is that only a few bytes are actually being sent each time the station updates every few seconds.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:23:46 PM by Arktikos »
Alaska Data Portal:
http://tinyurl.com/q9rp3sw

Earth: a visualization of global weather conditions
forecast by supercomputers.
http://tinyurl.com/nbrgnnr

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 11:25:01 PM »
how many things do you have updating and downloading. Are you running any other programs or are  you  streaming movies . Where I am going is it could be a host of other programs attaching to the internet, software up and down loading...

Offline BrentESmith

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »
Thank you so much to all that replied!
It ended up being a problem with the ISP, he replaced the antenna.
Reset everything and all seems good!
It is wonderful having everyone available for help and to go through troubles with!
Thanks again!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 10:37:34 AM »
Thank you so much to all that replied!
It ended up being a problem with the ISP, he replaced the antenna.
Reset everything and all seems good!
It is wonderful having everyone available for help and to go through troubles with!
Thanks again!!

Your welcome
Randy

anything