Author Topic: WS-1001 display doesn't update graphs & rain data on loss of power  (Read 2203 times)

Offline ST-Bob

Whenever you lose power to the WS-1001 weather display, it loses the graphs of temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and all the rain data.  This data is stored in a file onboard the unit every 5 minutes and should be read upon power-up to repopulate the graphs and restore saved rain data (daily, weekly, yearly totals etc.).  At present it appears the display doesn't do this and only reads from internal RAM so any power interruption loses all the data.

Daily, weekly and yearly rain will be lower than actual rain amounts anytime there's a power interruption to the display.  Unacceptable!!!

Bug? or "design feature"?  I say it's a bug and needs to be fixed.

Bob in Worcester, MA KMAWORCE26
Bob in Worcester, MA
KMAWORCE26

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Re: WS-1001 display doesn't update graphs & rain data on loss of power
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 02:08:27 PM »
Much to my dismay I have found that my Rainwise IP-100 does the same thing.  It is a severe design limitation.

Offline TexasWeather

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »
Yep ... I've had this for about a week now. I had a power outage during a rainstorm and poof ... lost data .. rain data... all data. So what now? My WS2080 has memory retention and does a data catch-up but this newer (but more accurate) unit does not. Does anyone know a work-around (A display unit that will receive updates from the WS-1400IP)?

Offline ST-Bob

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »
It's definitely a programming issue.  There's plenty of NVRAM in the display console and it runs Windows CE embedded.  If they would only keep a buffer of the last 72 hours regardless of your settings, the graphs could be automatically repopulated.  And if this same file contained the rain gauge data, it too could easily be repopulated.  I just don't understand why the program doesn't do this already.  Maybe nobody ever thought of it since the new display console came out.

Ambient: Please put this on the list for future program enhancements.

Bob in Worcester, MA
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=pws:KMAWORCE26
Bob in Worcester, MA
KMAWORCE26

Offline Art

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »
I also experienced the same problem. It seems the best solution is not to lose power. I connected my console to the UPS that my computer is on. This takes care of the brief power hiccups I get frequently. (I'm on a rural electric co-op, the reliability of which is somewhere on the spectrum between Baghdad and ideal.) I also put my AT&T box (used to be called a modem, forget what they call it now) on a separate UPS. This will keep it running during a power loss of several hours' duration. It probably is the better solution for the console as well, since if the computer is running when the power goes off and I'm not here, that UPS will run out of power in less than an hour. The console only sips small quantities of electricity, so a dedicated UPS for it can be of the less expensive variety.

Art
KFLNEWBE4

Offline ST-Bob

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:06:54 AM »
While a UPS does stop the display from losing power, it's not really a "solution" to the problem IMHO.  Eventually, you're gonna have a power loss while the weather keeps happening around you and you'll lose data.

All Ambient has to do is program the unit to keep a backup file of the last 72 hours of data.  Update the file in a rotating fashion such that the oldest data is replaced by the newest when reaching the 72 hour threshold and store it on a high-quality NVRAM which has a projected rewrite lifetime exceeding that of the display console (or store on removable, replaceable micro-SD instead).  Upon power-up and synchronizing the time, read in the 72 hour (or longer) backup file and display the last 72 hours (including the length of "No Data" during the power loss), restoring the rainfall totals etc. (which would, of course, be missing the data during the power loss) so your data would be as accurate as possible.  Most people would be happy with this and those of us who are most vocal about this problem probably have backup solutions to minimize the power-loss time (generators etc.).

My guess is that it was probably a design requirement when they built the new display console and had it programmed but that the internal NVRAM chip(s) had an unacceptable re-write number that would have killed the unit in too short a time.  Making it work like we want would eventually have worn out the NVRAM chip and rendered the console junk at that point.

I think making it optional and eventually ruining a cheap external micro-SD chip would be preferable to ruining the display console's NVRAM.  With the lower cost of micro-SD cards these days, they could certainly afford (and so could we) to use up the micro-SD's write cycles and give us a warning or something when it starts to go bad so we could copy the files onto a new one...  That way you'd only lose data during a power failure for the short time it takes you to copy the old card's data onto a new one and replace it in the console's micro-SD slot.

In order to get product out the door; and that's a big concern for any company that produces stuff off-shore; you need to ship it sooner rather than later.  Getting the software "perfect" would prevent that from happening and likely cause a financial hit that could be dangerous or fatal for a small company.  I think I'd get the product on the shelves ASAP whether it was "perfect" or not too.  Software updates can be done down the road (as they already have been) and the cash flow can continue in the right direction.

Now we need another software update to "fix" this problem and add the rotating backup data feature.  Come-On Ambient - let's get cracking on this, OK?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:23:06 AM by ST-Bob »
Bob in Worcester, MA
KMAWORCE26

Offline btcompute

• KNHNORTH15
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »
Ed at Ambient says they are working on developing a display with a battery backup. That might fix things for future buyers, but buying one of these to replace existing displays would be an added expense for current owners.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:29:42 AM by btcompute »