Author Topic: What UPS are you using for your Wx Station/Wx PC?  (Read 9740 times)

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: What UPS are you using for your Wx Station/Wx PC?
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 08:04:17 AM »
Some do, some don't.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »
The Back-UPS XS 1300's do.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 10:45:05 AM »
Bob,
did you lose power during the recent (not so recent now, but some ares in NH are still down) ice storm?

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 12:26:42 PM »
No, we didn't loose power from the ice storm. Didn't get that much ice up north here, mostly snow. We did loose power for 5 hours before the ice storm (Wednesday) do to a non weather related issue.

There are still many people without power down south. Some aren't expected to be restored until after Christmas. That really sucks. Last night they reported that 1200+ line crews were out working.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »
Nasty storm you guys got.  I added a APC 2200 pack to provide several hours of power to all of my systems.  It's big enough to handle the weather PC as well as all routers, laptops and my server.  It also keeps my Internet active since it is received using a wireless Motorola Canopy system to a nearby tower.  The provider has backup at the tower so it stays up.  I really don't mind the downtime from a power event, I mainly use the APC to provide protection from the massive fluctuations that are present when power goes down and back up. 
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 12:46:39 AM »
The Back-UPS XS 1300's do.
I think that may have been the one I was looking to get. Thanks!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline KU4GO

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 12:52:06 AM »
The consumer, or "prosumer" APC's aren't what they use to be.  We still use the big ones in our datacenter (Symmetras and SUs), but I no longer recommend the consumer line for SOHO applications.  We've had good luck with CyberPower for less than 1500VA situations.  I use a CP-1500 on my main desktop.  We've gone through too many of APC's ES, RS, LS, CS, etc, series to recommend them anymore.  They last maybe 1-2 years, and that's it.

The only APCs I still keep at home are the older Smart-UPS 1400's in my rack (protects everything except my desktop) because I live at the end of our power grid and get a lot of dirty power.  I use their SNMP / Network cards to monitor our power like I do at work.  Even if you get an older,  reconditioned Smart-UPS, it's still much better than the stuff they're putting out now.  The only thing you'll need to factor in is your signaling needs, since the older ones need a serial port, while the newer ones work with USB.  But, the newer ones have software that is just terrible.  In fact, I'll use the built-in power management of whatever OS I'm working with, before I use APC's product.  The older PowerChute product is much better if you're going to stay with APC.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:01:35 AM by KU4GO »
Hello from Coddle Creek, NC

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 08:36:52 AM »
KU4GO -

That has exactly been the problem I've had recently with the APC's! I though it was something about my own setup, but none of the newer APC units lasted anywhere near as long as the old smart ups i used to have. If it hadn't been damaged by lightning, I'd likely still be trying to find replacemnt batteries to keep it humming along.

I will certainly check out the Cyberpower unit you mentioned. Thanks

Offline KU4GO

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 07:41:31 PM »
KU4GO -

That has exactly been the problem I've had recently with the APC's! I though it was something about my own setup, but none of the newer APC units lasted anywhere near as long as the old smart ups i used to have. If it hadn't been damaged by lightning, I'd likely still be trying to find replacemnt batteries to keep it humming along.

I will certainly check out the Cyberpower unit you mentioned. Thanks

You're welcome.  Yep, it's not you, it's them  ;) 

As I mentioned, our department no longer recommends them.  The CyberPower units have worked very well for us for the smaller applications.  The Smart-UPS models were built like tanks, performed very well and batteries are still easy to find.  Unfortunately, they all use serial ports for signaling, but if one is willing to add a serial card, or perhaps a USB-to-Serial adapter cable, they make for a much better solution.

A google search for "reconditioned APC UPS" will bring up some good sources.  We use refurbups.com and have been very happy with them.  (I have no affiliation with them, nor am I compensated in any way for mentioning them)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:45:36 PM by KU4GO »
Hello from Coddle Creek, NC

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 12:50:26 AM »

KU4GO
  The Smart-UPS models were built like tanks, performed very well and batteries are still easy to find. 

That is for sure!! I have a couple of Smart 700's I salvaged from work when they were replaced.. batteries are all they needed and the internal circuitry is
built to last! For as long as we can find the old ones we better grab em!  They are worth the effort!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
  • I see sunshine. Let me out!
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 09:36:13 PM »
It finally happened, no power, tree trimming next block. My modem and wireless router are on their own ups and I am on my newer MSI netbook and have been surfing for a couple of hours to keep from getting board. Love 6 cell batteries on the mini.

Rick

Rick/Morada, CA
Davis VP2+ wireless w/24Hr fan, Enovoy & Console
VWS 14.01p31,WeatherLink5.9.2,VP live,Virtual VP, StartWatch

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2009, 07:22:33 AM »
Well, I still have two computers that have not UPS on them. There never seems to be any extra money to replace them.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

anything