Author Topic: $1000 for set up  (Read 26631 times)

Offline prkguy

$1000 for set up
« on: June 15, 2009, 11:11:35 PM »
Im very new to the world of weather stations.   I manage a state park and I have been working on improving our severe weather emergency program.   One of the things I had thought would be nice to eventually have would be a basic weather station.   Well it appears that there may a local grant source for me.  Lets say I had $1000 to purchase a weather station and I needed to have the ability to have the current weather readings linked to a website and also have the data archived.    Could someone recommend a basic weather station and any add ons I would need?      I hear talk of data loggers and various software that would be needed to make this happen but I feel lost.   One of the systems I was looking at was the Davis 6152 wireless.   Any help you can provide would be appreciated.  Thanks.   Mike

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
Re: $1000 for set up
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
i think that this(below) would be the perfect set up for right at your 1000$$ mark. (i am going wireless since im guessing thats what you want)

6163(top of the line) $807.95
http://www.ambientweather.com/61dawivaprop3.html

basic 6152  $396.95

http://www.ambientweather.com/61dawivaprow.html

then software Weatherlink-comes with the data logger dont need the software but its a freebie, serial or usb(serial is what is best). and VWS internet(really good software)

118.95+90=208.95
http://www.ambientweather.com/dain65sewefo.html

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:54:41 PM »
You will also need a PC or MeteoHub to xfer to the Net.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:20:10 AM »
yea if you dont have one already...

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:10:15 AM »
I would recommend you look at one of the wireless Davis weather stations. Check Ambient Weathers prices first. Be sure you request the low price quote by e-mail.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline prkguy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 08:11:30 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations.  I should have added that I do have a computer.   I do have a couple of questions.

After looking through some of the other information on this site I see that some people will have all of their station components mounted on a building roof via either a tripod or pole.  Does that create a problem for cleaning the devices?
Here in Michigan we have all kinds of tree debris and bugs flying around and I would think that would create some maintenance issues.   Is that a concern?  

With the Davis station there is 40' of cable.    At my park headquarters office I have a radio tower that is probably about 40' high.  I thought about putting the anemometer there.  Is it possible that the various 800 MHz radio antennas and computer network cables (I also have a low wattage AM radio broadcaster on that tower) that I currently have on that tower will impact the annometer readings?

Another question I have is regarding the roof mounting.   How high would I need to have the components mounted so that the head radiated by the asphalt shingles does not severely impact the temperature readings?

And lastly do I need to be concerned that there may not be enough sunlight during the winter months to charge the solar panel?      Thanks for any guideance you can provide.  Mike

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »

I see that some people will have all of their station components mounted on a building roof via either a tripod or pole.  Does that create a problem for cleaning the devices?
Here in Michigan we have all kinds of tree debris and bugs flying around and I would think that would create some maintenance issues.   Is that a concern?  

With the Davis station there is 40' of cable.    At my park headquarters office I have a radio tower that is probably about 40' high.  I thought about putting the anemometer there.  Is it possible that the various 800 MHz radio antennas and computer network cables (I also have a low wattage AM radio broadcaster on that tower) that I currently have on that tower will impact the annometer readings?

Another question I have is regarding the roof mounting.   How high would I need to have the components mounted so that the head radiated by the asphalt shingles does not severely impact the temperature readings?

And lastly do I need to be concerned that there may not be enough sunlight during the winter months to charge the solar panel?      Thanks for any guideance you can provide.  Mike

There is minor maintenance to perform, cleaning debris from the rain bucket is the most common.  I would suggest mounting the ISS 5 feet above ground level for convenience, and accurate readings.

I have never heard complaints about interference problems with the cabled anemometer .  Your radio tower sounds like an ideal location.  You can extend the 40 foot cable if need be.

The specifications state "Battery Life (3-Volt Lithium cell). .  . . . . . 8 months without sunlight - greater than 2 years depending on solar
charging". I have never had a problem, and I am certain that you would receive more winter sun than we get here in Oregon.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 08:37:27 AM »
If you are running a State Park, have you looked into GSA pricing?  Maybe you could get an RM Young?  Or a direct deal from DAvis through gov't procurement.

As for cleaning, you could mount it on a flag poll that can be lowered (pivot).  That is sorta what I did for mine using a sat dish mounting bracket.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 09:01:22 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations.  I should have added that I do have a computer.   I do have a couple of questions.

After looking through some of the other information on this site I see that some people will have all of their station components mounted on a building roof via either a tripod or pole.  Does that create a problem for cleaning the devices?

Here is a Sensor Setting Guide.  There's tons of good information in this guide.  I hope it answers some of your questions.

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 09:04:28 AM »
Hello Mike,

Sounds like a very good project. I personally think for your price range the Davis is the way to go. I think you could hang your anemometer off your radio tower at 30' and add a transmitter kit to that. Site your ISS as best you can per http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf. (You are correct. Rooftop is not normally the preferred location.) To eventually get your data to the internet, you must get it into your computer which requires the "Datalogger". If you or a co-worker are computer savy, the WeatherLink program included with the Datalogger can be used to provide info to a website. I am aware of three programs for your consideration to make publishing to the web easier. The most popular (I think) is Virtual Weather Station, the most complex and best supported is Weather Display, and the most cost effective is Cumulus which is DonationWare.

Even if you go with the Davis 6152 which is < $400.00, by the time you have it installed and online, you will be close to you $1000.00 mark. That being said, more lives are lost to lightning in the US every year than any other weather problem so I would suggest you already start planning a follow up project of a Boltek Lightning detection system.

JMO

George

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:11:13 AM »
FYI, lightning is not close to the top of weather related deaths: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/hazstats.shtml  Heat wins out by a mile so get the full solar pkg.

Lastly, I'd add that if you can live with the ugliness (IMO) of the stock Weatherlink templates, very, very little computer savvy is required to go live with Davis/Weatherlink.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:25:28 AM »
Most of the suggestions here for handling the weather data off to the off-site web server require the on-site computer to be running 24/7.  Just wanted to point that out and make sure your computer has that capability.  If it isn't and can't, there are other devices that can substitute for that computer.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 09:29:58 AM »
Or just wake it from Standby/Hibernation every few hours.  Who goes tot he park to watch the weather hourly??

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 09:42:18 AM »
Sounds like a great project. I can see 3 phases of the project here. The weather station is a good start with a web page so anyone can check conditions at the park from its web page. A web cam is a good add on giving the real time visual for website visitors. You might want to consider a Boltek lightning monitor with software. That is if your park is a combination like some of ours around here;  forest with walking trails where the trees open out to a pasture for parking\camping area that includes a pond or lake. Depending on the geography of your park and past storm history, lightning warning of some kind might be a good idea. There have already been a couple of deaths and some injuries reported in the news this summer as a result of lightning.

Offline prkguy

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 12:04:24 PM »
Ok I just had to take a run out to the park to check the height of the flag pole.   We are looking at 35'.   Unfortunately even at that height it is not above the tree canopy.    The radio tower is several feet higher than the flag pole and is a little more open.

A webcam is a great idea.  I can easily see that as a future phase of the project.

One more thing I should add is that this would be part of a 5 year study on lake algae blooms.  Wind direction, storm events, etc, would all be evaluated to see how it influences the flow of the algae.   The system would need to archive all the data so it can be retrieved when needed.  Are the Davis systems we have been talking about capable of doing that?  Keep the good suggestions coming.    Thanks.  Mike

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »
Go wireless and capture water temps.  DAvis WL will keep the history forever if you like.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 01:10:58 PM »
One more thing I should add is that this would be part of a 5 year study on lake algae blooms.  Wind direction, storm events, etc, would all be evaluated to see how it influences the flow of the algae.   The system would need to archive all the data so it can be retrieved when needed.  Are the Davis systems we have been talking about capable of doing that?  Keep the good suggestions coming.    Thanks.  Mike

Yes, the datalogger and software will archive data for you. The datalogger itself has limited storage but the software will allow you to download data to PC at select intervals of your choosing. You may want to consider an extra remote temp sensor to monitor lake water temperature.

Being a public facility, you'll obviously need to take into account siting of equipment to avoid vandalism as well.

Best of luck in your project, sounds like your headed in the right direction.

edit ** looks like Bushman's post beat me to it :-) **
Bill

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 02:40:01 PM »

A webcam is a great idea.  I can easily see that as a future phase of the project.

One more thing I should add is that this would be part of a 5 year study on lake algae blooms.  Wind direction, storm events, etc, would all be evaluated to see how it influences the flow of the algae.   The system would need to archive all the data so it can be retrieved when needed.  Are the Davis systems we have been talking about capable of doing that?  Keep the good suggestions coming.    Thanks.  Mike

Ok...now the webcam has a new purpose...aim the webcam at the lake and do timelapse image captures with ImageSalsa and MovieSalsa or other webcam softare. You can have the software overlay on the image the time\temp\wind\etc. Now besides the raw data that you are generating you have a visual record of conditions vs the look of the algae bloom. If there is a bloom problem caused by high run-offs of nitrates and phosphates from farmer's fields or sewage tiles, then you would see in the timelapse movie the bloom occurring in relation to the conditions that might encourage it (hot\dry\low wind\etc.).

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 02:43:27 PM »
Forgot to mention....ya walked in here waving a C Note......like swimming with piranhas with a steak around your neck.....ya started a frenzy... :lol:....as you can see this is the best place for help with weather stations and related topics.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 04:27:07 PM »
Make sure you tell the lake that you are using a webcam to upload to the internet, and have them sign a release. :lol:

Andrew

aim the webcam at the lake and do timelapse image captures with ImageSalsa and MovieSalsa or other webcam softare.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »
Make sure you tell the lake that you are using a webcam to upload to the internet, and have them sign a release. :lol:

Andrew

aim the webcam at the lake and do timelapse image captures with ImageSalsa and MovieSalsa or other webcam softare.

Good point Andrew!! Maybe you should reference your previous experience ...

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=3492.0

(maybe a relative lives nearby?  :lol:)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:56:33 PM by DanS »

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 05:41:45 PM »
Maybe not video the whole lake but a cove area that could be buoyed off limits for the study of bloom. A sign that announces under video surveillance just asks for the cam to be stolen. It doesn't sound like this is a private lake, sounds more like a state or gov run park. No release is needed, just a sign but to be on the safe side, make sure the fish are ok with it. :-P

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 07:30:22 PM »
I was kidding of course...  Dan was correct, I should have linked my background story to the joke.

One sign at front door no where near the camera, about use of surveillance would be sufficient.

Andrew

Maybe not video the whole lake but a cove area that could be buoyed off limits for the study of bloom. A sign that announces under video surveillance just asks for the cam to be stolen. It doesn't sound like this is a private lake, sounds more like a state or gov run park. No release is needed, just a sign but to be on the safe side, make sure the fish are ok with it. :-P

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline prkguy

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 09:56:09 PM »
Thanks for all the tips everyone.   I have been reading the CWOP guide and looking at some of the home weather station videos on you tube.   Great stuff.   I will be working on the grant application over the next couple of nights.    I may be back with some additional questions.   Thanks again.   Mike

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 10:24:37 AM »
I was kidding of course...  Dan was correct, I should have linked my background story to the joke.

One sign at front door no where near the camera, about use of surveillance would be sufficient.

Andrew

I knew that...thats why I threw in the getting the ok from the fish..... :lol:   The guys sneaking in to fish illegally might have a problem with it though....

anything