Author Topic: My findings comparing Acurite, Davis Instruments, and Ambient Weather  (Read 21018 times)

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
Re: My findings comparing Acurite, Davis Instruments, and Ambient Weather
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »
And you base your remark on what? The current ASOS thermometer is designated the HO-1088, though some older systems still utilize the HO-83, both aspirated.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/2013-09-19_09_28_07_ASOS_HO-1088_thermometer_at_Eureka_Airport%2C_Nevada.JPG
I think that's kind of funny, considering the aspirated HO-83 was known for reading 1 to 2 C too high, so my affordable passive shield Davis at least rivals some ASOS equipment.  :grin:

Offline TFD

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2017, 01:36:09 PM »
How responsive was Acurite customer service to your quality control problems with the defective power transformer and color display? You warn against the new Atlas Elite but if Acurite addresses hardware issues quickly and honestly then I would still be on board with trusting them to do the right thing when they roll out their new line. I was all set to enter the pws hobby when I heard about the Atlas Elite and decided to hold out and wait till its release. It looks to be a rare new and exciting entry if it doesn't ultimately turn out to be a fiasco (for purchaser and company alike)!  :shock:

As a retired Broadcast Engineer and an owner of a number of Acurite products including a 5-in-1 outdoor sensor and a 3-in-1 sensor, 2 SmartHUBs, T/H sensors, etc, etc, I feel somewhat qualified to to comment on Chaney/Acurite products.

As you probably know, the ride on the Acurite bus in the last few months has been pretty rough. 2 major outages involving the migration of the Aculink Bridge to a SmartHUB and the latest, Acurite contracting with Amazon for server service along with WU server problems that took Acurite off the WU map for days!

I have tried to help out with around 475 posts on the Acurite forum but to be honest, Chaney has a serious Quality Control problem that doesn't seem to be getting any better. Far too many customers are buying product that is DOA. When customers can't even get a new 5 volt wall wart that works and the fancy color display is defective out of the box, something is definitely wrong......
[/quote]

To Beaver Meadow:
Acurite has been EXTREMELY responsive to customer complaints. In fact, they have replaced countless items that were "out of warranty" due to a known defect that was discovered later. They even provide 2 day FedEx shipping for replacement items!

As weather geeks, I think we're all interested in what this new Atlas Elite product is all about. Whether the product will be as good as all the hype or not.

The Chaney Quality Control issue stems from the fact that everything is made in China. Those factories CAN make very high quality product IF the company controlling them (Chaney) pushes for quality over price. Right now Chaney is opting for the low price and as a result, the quality suffers.

Since Chaney hasn't announced pricing for the Atlas Elite line, I hope they'll lean toward slightly higher prices with a goal of improving the quality and reliability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2017, 02:42:23 PM »
This fan aspirated stuff is a little over done as there would be an awful lot of "official" stations that are naturally aspirated
And you base your remark on what? The current ASOS thermometer is designated the HO-1088, though some older systems still utilize the HO-83, both aspirated.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/2013-09-19_09_28_07_ASOS_HO-1088_thermometer_at_Eureka_Airport%2C_Nevada.JPG

Based on the fact that the majority of "official" sites are in fact naturally aspirated. One could look at this from another angle that anything fan based then has to be "Un-natural"
What, and we're just suppose to take your word for it? I supplied proof. Where's yours? Here's more "un-natural" proof. But I guess these folks don't know what they're talking about either. :roll:
http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/accuracy-differences-in-naturally-vs-fan-aspirated-shields/

http://tslinc.com/systems/instruments-hygrothermometer/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:44:27 PM by CW2274 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »
I think that's kind of funny, considering the aspirated HO-83 was known for reading 1 to 2 C too high, so my affordable passive shield Davis at least rivals some ASOS equipment.  :grin:
As a matter of fact that was here and the problem was addressed.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »

Was here?  You mean on the forum?  And addressing the problem means the problem is no more or never was?

No matter how you may belittle the fact, it shows there are other factors rather than just passive vs. fan aspiration, and that even expensive equipment has its problems.  What you don't seem to understand is that there are other climates and situations rather than yours, or even than the places supposedly scientific studies have been conducted at. A quick glance at at least one of those studies says that the maximum windspeed never got over 5mph, so you really think I should run out and buy the supposedly "necessary" fan when I don't live in such an area and that I should get excited over a possible rare 1 or 2 degree over reading?

Maybe before you mandate that everyone be required to get a FARS, you should mandate inspections to make sure that everyone's equipment is sited properly, I think that has far more of an effect on the data.

I know this issue has been raised over and over again, and some people, like me, just aren't going to see the need for added expense and problems for a marginal increase in accuracy, and others are going to continue to tell everyone that a FARS is absolutely, positively necessary; and if you don't have one you're not part of the elite and your readings are worthless.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2017, 04:08:38 PM »

Was here?  You mean on the forum?  And addressing the problem means the problem is no more or never was?

No matter how you may belittle the fact, it shows there are other factors rather than just passive vs. fan aspiration, and that even expensive equipment has its problems.  What you don't seem to understand is that there are other climates and situations rather than yours, or even than the places supposedly scientific studies have been conducted at. A quick glance at at least one of those studies says that the maximum windspeed never got over 5mph, so you really think I should run out and buy the supposedly "necessary" fan when I don't live in such an area and that I should get excited over a possible rare 1 or 2 degree over reading?

Maybe before you mandate that everyone be required to get a FARS, you should mandate inspections to make sure that everyone's equipment is sited properly, I think that has far more of an effect on the data.

I know this issue has been raised over and over again, and some people, like me, just aren't going to see the need for added expense and problems for a marginal increase in accuracy, and others are going to continue to tell everyone that a FARS is absolutely, positively necessary; and if you don't have one you're not part of the elite and your readings are worthless.
I don't think you should do ANYTHING. Mandate? Quit making crap up. You don't want a fan, trust me, I couldn't care less for you or anyone else. All I'm doing is presenting pubs and facts (obviously in an elitist way to boot). Sorry you're so "offended". I'm done with this topic.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »

I don't think you should do ANYTHING. Mandate? Quit making crap up. You don't want a fan, trust me, I couldn't care less for you or anyone else. All I'm doing is presenting pubs and facts (obviously in an elitist way to boot). Sorry you're so "offended". I'm done with this topic.
Like you made up the part about there already being some kind of law?

Once again, I'm addressing issues that you seem to be ignoring, despite your pubs and facts.  If I offended you by doing so, too bad, and goodbye.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »
By the way, be careful about accusing me of making stuff up.
As far as I'm concerned, all should have a fan, at least in the daytime.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, all should have a fan, at least in the daytime.
Maybe they should make it a law
For "official" measurements, it is.
Get a grip, it's called an opinion.
You made the law comment, and I merely played along not knowing you'd take it literally. My statement here is about NWS/FAA ASOS's which are required to be, and manufactured aspirated, and are used for official observations. Nothing difficult here.

Offline TFD

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2017, 05:08:22 PM »
Regarding the notion of fan vs no fan:
What are your thoughts on separating the T/H sensor from the PWS altogether or making it removable from the PWS so it can be located at the appropriate height off the ground but in natural shade.
Many Acurite customers have strongly requested that option because of all the problems the fans create. Namely, dust, dirt, and for many, insect problems, especially wasps. Some have even reported ant infestations!

I personally think that the T/H sensor should be a removable plugin option. I believe that feature would satisfy everyone's needs.

Your thoughts?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2017, 05:17:44 PM »
Regarding the notion of fan vs no fan:
What are your thoughts on separating the T/H sensor from the PWS altogether or making it removable from the PWS so it can be located at the appropriate height off the ground but in natural shade.
Many Acurite customers have strongly requested that option because of all the problems the fans create. Namely, dust, dirt, and for many, insect problems, especially wasps. Some have even reported ant infestations!

I personally think that the T/H sensor should be a removable plugin option. I believe that feature would satisfy everyone's needs.

Your thoughts?

If your question is for me, technically all high end weather stations are meant to be in the sun. Obviously a quality radiation shield is required. Shade is fine, if you can get it all day. My VP2 is in the sun from sunup to sundown.

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »

Deffinitely. I have separated it in my both VP2's as it also gives better possibilites to seat both rainpot and temp-sensor in best possible locations. There are also an icing-issue with current "VP2-like" design where it collects ice between the rainpot and tempsensor expecially if rainpot are heated, not to forgot (with right conditions) the ice will also decrease the airflow to the temp-sensor and there are a clear risk that the ice will break the whole thing.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »
I agree with TFD. All in ones to me are more like toys for wx amateurs.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »

Deffinitely. I have separated it in my both VP2's 
:?:

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2017, 05:25:43 PM »
:?:

It was just an example about bad design. But seems other brands use that "rainpot on top of temp-sensor" design too...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »
I thought you/he meant to physically take the temp/humidity sensor out of the ISS and place it somewhere else. :?

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
I thought you/he meant to physically take the temp/humidity sensor out of the ISS and place it somewhere else. :?

That is exactly what i have did on my VP2's (attached pic from my second station w/o fan).

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »

That is exactly what i have did on my VP2's (attached pic from my second station w/o fan).
Why and where did you put it?

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »

Did you look at the pic  :?:
They are separated to avoid snow/ice from building up between them like when they was on top of each other.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:43:57 PM by weatherc »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2017, 05:43:50 PM »
Yes. Evidently I'm missing something cause I'm still confused.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2017, 05:46:35 PM »

Did you look at the pic  :?:
They are separated to avoid snow/ice from building up between them like when they was on top of each other.
OK, what's they?

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »
OK, what's they?

Rainpot/ISS and temp/hum-sensor

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
OK, what's they?

Rainpot/ISS and temp/hum-sensor
So the temp/humidity sensor is still in the ISS sensor chamber were it belongs, yes?