Author Topic: Looking for a setup to report data to Wunderground, CWOP  (Read 4843 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: Looking for a setup to report data to Wunderground, CWOP
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 08:46:26 AM »
I bought a $75 Dell refurbed laptop off of eBay, a serial(?) datalogger, and the VP2.  The laptop had built-in wireless, a built-in battery backup, and simply sits there and chugs along running Cumulus software.  I just looked at it and both the laptop and Cumulus has been up and running for 47+ days since it's last interruption...I've had it go as long as 4-5 months without interruption.

One other sensor you might want to add to the ISS is "solar".  It's fairly inexpensive and is useful for different reasons...solar energy calculations, evapotranspiration calculations, etc.  The UV sensor is a good bit more expensive and actually isn't as useful (you know when the sun is stinging hot! :) ).

Best wishes on getting things online.  A very nice gesture from the donor, too!!!
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
UPDATE: I went ahead and bought the Vantage Pro 2 with WeatherLink IP. Rookie mistake - I was under impression that with WeatherLink IP, we could link our VP2 to wireless to transmit data, but it seems that I still have to hook up the data logger to a router with a cord. Anything I'm missing, or is there a better solution for this out there?

Thanks!
I believe all you need is a wifi extender you can configure as a wireless access point and you can be wireless.
Billy

Offline seth.elsen

• Hood Canal Salmon Enhancement Group
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »
One of the Meteobridge variants will do wireless.

Thank you! I'll spend some more time looking into the Meteobridge and possibly return the WeatherLink. If anyone has experiences to share with meteobridge, much appreciated!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2017, 10:06:19 AM »
I run two - one for Davis the other for an Acurite.  Great devices.  Set and forget.  And they allow pass through on Port 22222 so you can still run PC-based weather software if you want.  Check the Meteobridge subforum here for info.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline seth.elsen

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »
UPDATE: I went ahead and bought the Vantage Pro 2 with WeatherLink IP. Rookie mistake - I was under impression that with WeatherLink IP, we could link our VP2 to wireless to transmit data, but it seems that I still have to hook up the data logger to a router with a cord. Anything I'm missing, or is there a better solution for this out there?

Thanks!
I believe all you need is a wifi extender you can configure as a wireless access point and you can be wireless.
Billy

Great idea - we had planned to get an extender anyway for the station, but looking at WeatherBridge products, it looks like we could just get a signal extender mounted along with the weather station. Thanks!

Offline seth.elsen

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »
Want to again express appreciation for all the help to a rookie here!

Hopefully my last question - As I go through some of the various options, if I were to get say a meteobridge, would I still need the WeatherLink IP logger and software?

Thanks,
Seth

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 12:14:23 PM »
With MB you still need to connect it to the Console (unless you get a Meteostick) so a logger  - Davis or 3rd party.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline seth.elsen

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 12:16:58 PM »
With MB you still need to connect it to the Console (unless you get a Meteostick) so a logger  - Davis or 3rd party.

Ok, thank you! I think we'll just get an access point/repeater out at our location to connect up with our WeatherLink logger and then have that connect to our main wifi network.