Author Topic: For Mom?  (Read 2329 times)

Greg_M

For Mom?
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:38:56 PM »
Thinking about getting ma a little weather station for Christmas. She kind of likes to keep track of the weather.
I was thinking of something not real expensive with the usual rain gauge, wind speed/direction, temp...that's probably enough.
Something with an indoor display panel she can look at and I could hook to the internet so it can send reports to Weather Underground (etc). She'd enjoy having a website like that. I'll set it up for her but hopefully it would be easy to maintain as I'm not always around and she doesn't walk very well. She's almost 85.

Suggestions?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: For Mom?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:47:54 PM »
I guess my FineOffset WH1080 in combination with Meteobridge would satisfy all your requirements and it cost me less than 150 dollars all in total.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:48:08 PM »
Nice idea. Maybe a Davis Vantage Vue? Seem to have a good track record and at the lower end of the "price for reliability" scale. Also if she does encounter problems with it then the support team seems to be responsive.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:52:17 PM »
Merely food for thought, but keeping a rain gauge unobstructed might be more than she's willing to keep up with, unless she's got someone who will do it for her if you're unavailable.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »
I personally would always go for a station that has separate sensors (wind, temperature)

Greg_M

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 08:26:33 PM »
Merely food for thought, but keeping a rain gauge unobstructed might be more than she's willing to keep up with, unless she's got someone who will do it for her if you're unavailable.

I'm around every couple weeks and all she has is Pinon and Juniper, so the house is taller than the trees and the pole is on top of the roof.  :grin:

Greg_M

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »
I guess my FineOffset WH1080 in combination with Meteobridge would satisfy all your requirements and it cost me less than 150 dollars all in total.

Sounds good but I'm having a bit of a problem finding one for sale

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 08:32:07 PM »
It is sold under different brand names, here in Europe mostly as FineOffset, but this is pretty much the same thing:

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1090c.html

Just different layout of the parameters on the display...

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 10:07:44 AM »
While some folks have had good luck with Fine Offset stations and clones, I have not.  POS junk IMHO.   The other thing to consider is Mom's eyesight - you might want to insure the display readable.  Personally I would go for an Acurite system.  Might cost a bit more than the FO, but far better unit and much better displays.  ALWAYS on sale, too (and even more with the Facebook discount codes)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 10:18:04 AM »
I am not saying FO is 100% reliable, but I really have a feeling reliability these days is more about luck than brand.

And this is not true just for PWS. I´ve had my FO for 6 yrs without a SINGLE problem. Likewise, Ive had my Acer laptop for over 10 yrs without a SINGLE problem!

My friend for example bought a Dell business laptop 3 yrs ago. After third time in service he got his money back, so he bought another business model from Lenovo... and two yrs later the motherboard also died. And I can continue, my other friend had Macbook and he also had problems with it.

Again, I am not suggesting Acer is very reliable, it is just that it really depends on how lucky you are, the same model can last for yrs without a problem or it can fail the next day.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 10:33:36 AM »
I agree with Jachym. I also believe reliability with anything these days is a draw. Most probably have good results, while other batches of the same thing will have problems. Acurite has had problems with aspirators, sensors, and Fine Offset has had bad batteries, wind cup bearings, and both have had bad solder jobs. The list is long. Davis also has problems with rain gauges, and sensors. I believe the majority of any of these brands including Oregon Scientific are just fine.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 10:37:44 AM »
I always have to laugh when someone says "Im gonna get an iPhone, not some Chinese crap"... well my answer to that is, open that very nice and high-end looking case and look inside and check the "Made in" label on practically any part...

Greg_M

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 11:07:49 AM »
I do have to be careful about construction materials.
Her house is at approx 7500' and the UV there is deadly to some plastics.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »
Even though I have issues with AcuRite, for what you describe it would be the perfect fit and here's why:

- The new color display is perfect. Easy to read and uncluttered. (unlike these primitive Davis consoles)
- Easy to set up the smarthub to download direct to WU. (no need for a PC, just requires a router). Much easier to do vs. Davis.
- Inexpensive (ie $150 complete kit)

The caveats:
- The Smarthub and display better be pretty close to the sensor. (<100')
- Quality of the outdoor sensor isn't the best but after a few years it's relatively inexpensive to replace. (Even Davis has had quality issues with their sensors.)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:48:18 PM by davefr »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 06:16:59 PM »
(Even Davis has had quality issues with their sensors.)
News to me.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »
News to me.

Didn't Davis have a capacitor leakage problem? 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 06:33:47 PM »
News to me.

Didn't Davis have a capacitor leakage problem?
There have been instances, yes, but that's not a sensor. BTW, my 9 year old supercap is fine.

Greg_M

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »
Do any of the stations have a dongle that can be plugged directly in to a router without a computer involved? (Upload to WU)

I don't think ma would like to leave her computer on all night.
Doesn't bother me, but.....

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »
The WS1001 can do it:
http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000wifi.html

Or you can get a Meteobridge like me, which can be connected to practically any station, it is a tiny device, absolutely quiet and with negligible power consumption. You connect your station via USB to it and it wirelessly transmits the data and you have so many options - WU, your own server, many other weather networks etc.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 01:48:02 PM »
Do any of the stations have a dongle that can be plugged directly in to a router without a computer involved? (Upload to WU)

I don't think ma would like to leave her computer on all night.
Doesn't bother me, but.....

AcuRite has the wireless Smarthub which connects to the router's ethernet port. The Smarthub is independent from the display console and can be located in a different room of the house.

Davis requires an add on dongle to connect their display to a router.  The dongle (Weatherbridge IP) is a $250 add on. You'll also need to run ethernet cable from the display console to the router.  (or buy an extra display). 

anything