Author Topic: Transmitter & Receiver  (Read 1874 times)

Offline wendapooh

Transmitter & Receiver
« on: October 13, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »
My husband and I bought a homestead last year. It has a weather station (wind, rain gauge, etc), but there is no transmitter or receiver (not sure if this is even what they are called). There is a phone cable jack coming out of the system. We have looked for a brand or some type of name to give us a hint to make it usable. I have never had a PWS, but have always wanted one. I am just trying to figure out what I can do to use it. I have searched the internet several times, but have not found any information that seems helpful. Thanks for your help. Wendy

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Transmitter & Receiver
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »
Can you post a picture of it?

Offline wendapooh

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 02:44:04 PM »
Here is a picture of what we have. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 02:53:09 PM »
can you contact the previous owner to see if they can tell you about it and maybe if they are the original owner, get you the rest of the unit?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 04:07:10 PM »
I have seen this basic set in a number of places, including the now-defunct Hobby Boards and SparkFun. In the datasheet found on Sparkfun, it appears that the manufacturer is Argent Data. I see the wind and rain set on their website, but not the temperature shield/sensor. Their interface has "One Wire", which is probably used for the temperature. The other sensors seem to need direct connection to the interface, but I don't see connectors labelled for them.

From what I have seen, this set is mainly used for Arduino "home brew" kind of projects. I think that I have seen commercial display consoles using this set or something very similar, but I don't recall where.

For what it's worth, here is a link to the datasheet on the Argent web site: https://www.argentdata.com/files/80422_datasheet.pdf. Here is the main information page. In Argent's interface box, I don't see the connections for the wind and rain sensors on the box connectors. There are connections for a APRS TNC that would be used with a Ham Radio 2meter radio, but it does have RS-232 for a PC connection.

This might be too much to get into for you. If someone knows who has a console/display that will work with these sensors, that is what you are probably looking for. Maybe that Zephyr unit in the previous post would work.

I just found this on Ambient Weather: http://www.ambientweather.com/wswestrepaan4.html. (WS-1090 [discontinued] parts page shows a console for $48.99, no guarantee if it will actually work with this set, but it might be worth a try for the price)

On closer inspection, your photo does not seem to show the transmitter, and this WS-1090 was wireless. From what I can tell from the instructions, the wind/rain tie into this box: http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1090thr.html. This transmitter might be inside the temperature shelter (round thing with plates).

Greg H.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:33:28 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 05:08:46 PM »

On closer inspection, your photo does not seem to show the transmitter, and this WS-1090 was wireless. From what I can tell from the instructions, the wind/rain tie into this box: http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1090thr.html. This transmitter might be inside the temperature shelter (round thing with plates).

Greg H.

The rectangular section at the base of the "temperature shelter" or radiation shield is the thermo/hygro and transmitter. The shield is sitting on top of it. The two cables from the wind and rain sensor are plugged into it and it transmits the combined data to the indoor console (receiver).

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 05:36:24 PM »

Greg H.

The rectangular section at the base of the "temperature shelter" or radiation shield is the thermo/hygro and transmitter. The shield is sitting on top of it. The two cables from the wind and rain sensor are plugged into it and it transmits the combined data to the indoor console (receiver).

Thanks, Dan. Too bad the console seems to be "out of stock" at Ambient because it looks like it might work.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 05:49:22 PM »

Greg H.

Thanks, Dan. Too bad the console seems to be "out of stock" at Ambient because it looks like it might work.

Greg H.

If they don't have a console (receiver) they may be able to get a part number off the thero/hygro (transmitter) to find out the needed console and get one on e-bay. One possibility anyway.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »
Your basic Fine Offset clone.  You can get a whole unit from China including new senors, consoles etc. for about 50 bucks. I would personally not waste a dime on it.  YMMV
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 10:53:59 PM »
My husband and I bought a homestead last year. It has a weather station (wind, rain gauge, etc), but there is no transmitter or receiver (not sure if this is even what they are called). There is a phone cable jack coming out of the system. We have looked for a brand or some type of name to give us a hint to make it usable. I have never had a PWS, but have always wanted one. I am just trying to figure out what I can do to use it. I have searched the internet several times, but have not found any information that seems helpful. Thanks for your help. Wendy

I think the above poster answered your question, but I am curious. You say you know nothing about weather stations. How in the world did you find this forum? I am impressed! People that post and use this forum are typically hobbyists, like me, that have a personal weather station, or two, or three... and probably a standalone separate rain gauge (e.g., the CoCoRaHS gauge), or two, or three....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:03:34 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 11:11:23 PM »
Goggle was their best source most likly

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 03:27:02 PM »
Your basic Fine Offset clone.  You can get a whole unit from China including new senors, consoles etc. for about 50 bucks. I would personally not waste a dime on it.  YMMV
FYI, look closely at where ALL of the DAVIS™ gear are manufactured (wink,wink)!
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 05:52:59 PM »
I think Davis is still advertizing its wares as as "Made in USA"; no matter - the country of origin is not the issue.  Junk is made EVERYWHERE!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything