Author Topic: Replacement For AcuRite 0593W Weather Station  (Read 2339 times)

Offline WindsorDave

Replacement For AcuRite 0593W Weather Station
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:01:40 PM »
It's the missus who is the weather bug. When I gave her a Vantage Pro II a couple of years ago, she handed down her AcuRite 00593W to me.  Since then we've been equally happy with our respective devices.  However, now that the AcuRite is 9 years old it's starting to functionally crumble.  Not surprisingly it's no longer made, though there are many, many similar devices currently on the market.

Must haves:

1. Reliable reception of the remote outdoor temperature and humidity sensor signal over a distance of 150' with one intervening residential, wood framed exterior wall. The AcuRite has done this well.
2. Reliable reception of WWV signal to keep the mandatory atomic clock synced up.  The AcuRite has always been a little weak here but it generally works.

Nice to haves:

1. Large clock numerals.
2. Bar graph or similar representation of barometric pressure readings over a span of time.  AcuRite shows 12 hours' worth.
3. Moon phase.
4. Constantly displayed outdoor temperature and humidity trend arrows.
5. Simple forecast graphic. e.g. clouds, sun, rain, lightning bolts, etc. 

What I hope to learn from this forum's knowledge base is:

1. Are there brands that are known for their reliability in receiving the remote sensor and WWV radio signals?
2. Conversely, are there brands that are known for their poor radio reception performance?

Below is an image of the AcuRite 00593W.  I like the layout and amount of information it displays.

Though a somewhat different concept, this LaCrosse appeals because one can have display monitors in two different locations.

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/combo11/

TIA
Newbie with a Davis Vantage Pro 2.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Replacement For AcuRite 0593W Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 01:09:45 PM »
First of all, since your wife already has a Davis VP2, you could get another Davis display console for yourself to display the weather data.

Alternatively, since the VP2 collects all of the info you desire, you could develop your own little webpage and display that on a laptop, desktop, notebook, etc.. without having to purchase another weather station.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »
To go with what Don said, here is something I cobbled up to display my Davis Vue info on a tablet. It could be modified to display whatever info is wanted.

http://nfmweather.com/weather/mwxindexbig.html

Offline WindsorDave

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »
Thanks, guys, for taking the time to respond.  You all have come up with some creative ways to record and display your weather data.  But what I'm going for is more like an atomic clock with some weather data hung on the side.  I may or may not be near a Windows-Apple-Android device at any given moment, especially one that is powered up with a visible display.

The way I use this thing is to occasionally glance at it to check the time and outside temperature/humidity.  It's not practical for me to stroke a key or push a button or tap a screen every time.  As alluded to above, there could be times when I'd have to turn a device on and then boot it up, etc, ...  We don't keep "devices" up and running all the time except clocks and the DVR - not the TV, just the DVR.  We even turn our cell phones off at night and we don't have a land line.

Thanks again for responding, I really do appreciate it.

Best,
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:33:27 PM by WindsorDave »
Newbie with a Davis Vantage Pro 2.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 07:52:43 PM »
We don't keep "devices" up and running all the time except clocks and the DVR - not the TV, just the DVR.  We even turn our cell phones off at night and we don't have a land line.

If you get a weather station that has a display, you will have that device running 24/7. You could just as easily have a tablet for the display (which, in many cases, is what a weather station display basically is). A template for a tablet could be made to have the main section the clock with the additional items you want displayed.

anything