Author Topic: Need Replacement Station  (Read 2273 times)

Offline mi77915

Need Replacement Station
« on: July 21, 2016, 06:16:58 PM »
I have a La Crosse WS-2310 system that has worked flawless for the past 6 or 7 years now (except the rain gauge). http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2310/index.php . Just recently, the receiver display (outdoor readings only), have disappeared. So, I replaced ALL the batteries (brand new - Duracell) in both the receiver and thermo-hydro sensor. The indoor readings quickly re-appeared, but the outside readings took a few minutes (this was expected). Within about 20 minutes, all the outside readings again disappeared. So, I thought that maybe the batteries that I just bought might be old stock, so I went back to a different store and again bought new batteries. Same thing happened.

Now I'm begining to think that the thermo-hydro sensor might be bad. I called La Crosse and a replacement would cost $40 plus shipping.

I'm not sure how much longer this entire system will remain working. Like I mentioned above, it's been out in the elements (Michigan), for 6 or 7 years now.

So, I'm considering a replacement system. I've been researching new systems and I see many systems available today. The type of weather station that I am considering is a system that is NOT an all-in-one system. My location lends itself to me placing the the sensors in slightly different locations. Personal preference I guess.

The end use of the new system is for personal use, no need for uploading to websites (at least not at this time)

One system that looks like it might be a good fit is the Ambient Weather WS-12 http://www.ambientweather.com/amws12.html .

Like a lot of us today, I am on a budget and would like to keep the cost to around $150 - $200 max.

Any other stations that I should be looking at?  Any comment/suggestion would be a great help.

Thank you,

Tom

Offline mi77915

Re: Need Replacement Station
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 08:54:09 AM »
............I guess I'll just keep reading and researching................

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
Good idea.  Search this forum as your question has been asked a zillion times.  OR use resources like this:  https://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/Weather+Station+Comparison+Guide?responseToken=15a692557263697b2e55ef6a8f908a75
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mi77915

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:07:23 AM »
Good idea.  Search this forum as your question has been asked a zillion times....... 

Yes... The name of this forum is called "What Weather Station Should I Buy?".....That's why I asked for some opinions on the station that I was looking at. I DID do a search here and found nothing on that particular station.

Offline Boston4

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:37:58 PM »
I like the LaCrosse product also for the same reason you do. I like to be able to place the thermo/hygro unit in a location other than in the direct sunlight. With the 5 in 1's you have no options.   I had some problems with my LaCrosse rain sensor initially, but after Lacrosse replaced it, everything has been running flawlessly for the past year.  Based on my observations, my WS readings are as, or nearly as accurate as some of the higher end equipment.

You can still find some of the older LaCrosse product online and they are bargain priced......this one is similar to mine and they only want $79 bucks for it!  I might buy one for a backup myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C86234-La-Crosse-Technology-Wireless-Professional-Weather-Station-Refurbished-/282081344226

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 08:53:27 PM »
Just throwing this out there for what it's worth.
I get the budget thing. Dropping a lot of money on a weather station is a big investment.
But as you said yourself your unit is 6-7 years old and showing it's age. In another 6-7 years you may have to replace it again. For that reason why not go with a Davis. I haven't priced them in a long time but I'm guessing you would be in the $500 plus range for the type of unit you want.
In 6-7 years you just send your Davis in for refurbishment and you practically have a brand new station for $175.
It's a huge jump from what you want to pay but the units are pretty durable and last a long time.
If the money isn't there I certainly get that. Just thought I would throw out another angle.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline NormanW

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
Thanks MI77915 for asking the question.  It has been asked before, but as time moves on, so does equipment and reliability so my view is it is always worth asking again.

I have an IROX PRO-X which has been marketed under various brand names as Hideki, Mebus, TE923, and like yours after 6 to 7 years, I am having trouble with sensors.  Some are no longer available (UV) and some have been replaced once already (Rain).  Even though I did the "Mod" adding an external antenna, the reception of the signal from the 1st sensor is and has always been a little off.

I am thinking about updating.  The Davis equipment is a "Rolls Royce" product, but in Europe the cost is 3 or 4 times the price of other systems and I can't justify it.  Also service in Europe is not as good as the US - $30 upfront before they will even look at a unit, then costs for everything.

Like you I want a modular system.  I have four outdoor sensors, the master, one in a greenhouse, one in an orchard, a soil thermo, raingauge and until it broke the UV.

Please keep posting your research, as there a lot of units out there.  I live in a USDA zone 10A part of Europe, so it is the baking heat of summer which causes problems.  Last winter there were just two nights when the ambient temp fell below ZeroC/32F.

It would be nice to find something which would last more than 6/7 years but that seems to be the built in obsolescence of electronics.

NW

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 06:57:36 PM »
Davis lasts more than 6-7 yrs
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 07:11:58 PM »
Please keep posting your research, as there a lot of units out there.  I live in a USDA zone 10A part of Europe, so it is the baking heat of summer which causes problems.  Last winter there were just two nights when the ambient temp fell below ZeroC/32F.

It would be nice to find something which would last more than 6/7 years but that seems to be the built in obsolescence of electronics.
NW
Sensor replacement is a necessary evil, be it drift or failure. Getting 6+ years is a lot to ask.
As far as your heat, I've stated many times here that I've passed my ninth year in the Tucson, Az. sun with my VP2, and it rolls along structurally just fine. Don't know how hot you get, but I'll bet I'm in the 95th percentile of places on the planet for heat, let alone the constant blast of solar radiation to the ISS from continuously sunny skies.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 11:11:36 PM »
I've stated many times here that I've passed my ninth year in the Tucson, Az. sun with my VP2, and it rolls along structurally just fine. Don't know how hot you get, but I'll bet I'm in the 95th percentile of places on the planet for heat, let alone the constant blast of solar radiation to the ISS from continuously sunny skies.

Not even the top 100 in the US :)

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c459.html
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:14:19 PM by hankster »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 12:29:47 AM »
I've stated many times here that I've passed my ninth year in the Tucson, Az. sun with my VP2, and it rolls along structurally just fine. Don't know how hot you get, but I'll bet I'm in the 95th percentile of places on the planet for heat, let alone the constant blast of solar radiation to the ISS from continuously sunny skies.

Ha, average wise, no doubt, not humid enough here for that. Obviously, by far, the locations are in Florida. Not too many places listed there got to 115F+ this year as we did, except for ever other Arizona city listed. ;)

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 07:50:54 AM »

Ha, average wise, no doubt, not humid enough here for that. Obviously, by far, the locations are in Florida. Not too many places listed there got to 115F+ this year as we did, except for ever other Arizona city listed. ;)

You are in "high country" at to 2300 ft. so it gets cool in the winter. Most places in FL are under 100 ft and are closer to the equator. UV averages over 11 for 6 months of the year. The Gulf and Atlantic keeps temps under 100 in FL but also keep it warm in the winter.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »

You are in "high country" at to 2300 ft. so it gets cool in the winter. Most places in FL are under 100 ft and are closer to the equator. UV averages over 11 for 6 months of the year. The Gulf and Atlantic keeps temps under 100 in FL but also keep it warm in the winter.
We get "cool" in the winter due to our dry air, not the altitude. Same reason we get so hot in the summer. We can see a diurnal swing of 40F here. That's crazy talk in your neck of the woods. Dry air heats and cools much more efficiently than wet air does.