Author Topic: My lightning detector experiences...So far...!  (Read 34618 times)

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
Re: My lightning detector experiences...So far...!
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »
Dennis,
Lee at http://www.knology.net/~blackjack52/index.php Uses, or has used both programs together. You might drop by his site and ask him.
FWIW
George

Yes, but not concurrently.  ;)

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Dragoon

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 10:08:21 PM »
Hi Guys,

I ordered the Boltek Stormtracker and Nexstorm (eta middle of next week).

My interest is both of the things mentioned in this thread, Website prettiness and strike details.

Can Nexstorm & L2K run (and talk to the Stormtracker) concurrently?

Dennis

If you are most interested in website prettiness, you can't beat NexStorm. It looks uber cool, ain't no doubtin' it. Not a data geek's first choice like Lightning/2000, but definitely the goods for webheads.

For hard core strike data, then L/2K is top dog. It ain't pretty like NexStorm, and it can't compete with NexStorm in teh Intarwebz dept, but for accurate and comprehensive data reporting it's "all that and more".

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »
If you are most interested in website prettiness, you can't beat NexStorm. It looks uber cool, ain't no doubtin' it. Not a data geek's first choice like Lightning/2000, but definitely the goods for webheads.

For hard core strike data, then L/2K is top dog. It ain't pretty like NexStorm, and it can't compete with NexStorm in teh Intarwebz dept, but for accurate and comprehensive data reporting it's "all that and more".

In your opinion.....

blackjack52

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 12:25:06 AM »
I think it's his experiences he's talking of; like the title.

I concur w/ his experiences; as I've experienced the same.

Offline Dragoon

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 12:46:29 AM »

In your opinion.....

Yup, sure 'tis.

The difference between you 'n' me seems to be that I ain't sellin' anything.

My preference for one over 'tother comes solely from my own personal experiences with both applications. If I was interested in presenting "live" strike data quickly and easily and nicely for other folk to look at, I'd be usin' NexStorm. But my interest is in the numbers, and Lightning/2000 does that better. Coz I have no vested interest in either other than bein' and end user, I don't need to shill.

:lol:

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »

In your opinion.....

Yup, sure 'tis.

The difference between you 'n' me seems to be that I ain't sellin' anything.

My preference for one over 'tother comes solely from my own personal experiences with both applications. If I was interested in presenting "live" strike data quickly and easily and nicely for other folk to look at, I'd be usin' NexStorm. But my interest is in the numbers, and Lightning/2000 does that better. Coz I have no vested interest in either other than bein' and end user, I don't need to shill.

:lol:

AH, spoken like a true troll. Congrats!  =D>

Offline Dragoon

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »

Well, you sure ain't helpin' your cause none.

Here's me repeatedly said that I actually prefer NexStorm over Lightning/2000 in some ways, and how it has real strengths and advantages over L/2K in a few areas. Only, seein' as how I'm not much one for Intarwebbin' my weather info, I'm stickin' with L/2K and its - IMHO - superior data quality.

Yet you claim that makes me a "troll"...but sonny, 'taint me who's lookin' unreasonable here.

So you go right on sellin' NexStorm like you own the company, no problem, it's a big enough world for all our interests, but how's about you stop brandin' folk just coz they don't share your interests and opinions, huh?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »

Well, you sure ain't helpin' your cause none.

.... but how's about you stop brandin' folk just coz they don't share your interests and opinions, huh?

I believe that some of us would listen more closely, if you would write as you were taught in school, rather than in a forced dialect.  If you did that, I would find it easier to have confidence in your technical opinions and your seriousness.

Just my opinion, of course.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 12:48:27 PM »
Bob,
If you were an owner of lightning/2000, I think you would have gotten an email from Mark that would indicate he has had too much going on to troll this board. Frankly, you are an asset to this board helping folks with software you own/approve of. I personally think you are out of line bad mouthing competition to your favorite products. While relaying bad experiences with software/hardware is beneficial to potential buyers, I think 1 negative post is enough.
Sincerely,
George Richardson

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
I'm not Bob, of course (and I'm not 'that Dale'), and please note that I have not "badmouthed" either of the products.  And I don't know Mark.

And I make no assertions about Dragoon's motivations.

I do, however, find Dragoon's posting style to be annoying, and typical of the posting style used by "Trolls".  That's my personal opinion, and will probably have no effect on Dragoon - who need not care about my opinion, of course.

Bob,
If you were an owner of lightning/2000, I think you would have gotten an email from Mark that would indicate he has had too much going on to troll this board. Frankly, you are an asset to this board helping folks with software you own/approve of. I personally think you are out of line bad mouthing competition to your favorite products. While relaying bad experiences with software/hardware is beneficial to potential buyers, I think 1 negative post is enough.
Sincerely,
George Richardson

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »
I'm not Bob, of course (and I'm not 'that Dale'), and please note that I have not "badmouthed" either of the products.  And I don't know Mark.

And I make no assertions about Dragoon's motivations.

I do, however, find Dragoon's posting style to be annoying, and typical of the posting style used by "Trolls".  That's my personal opinion, and will probably have no effect on Dragoon - who need not care about my opinion, of course.

Bob,
Sincerely,
George Richardson

George,

Nor have I "badmouthed" L2K even once in this thread.

This is whole issue is directed directly at the troll posting about L2k in this thread. That is in no way badmouthing L2K.

As I said before:

Bob

Offline Dragoon

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 02:40:05 AM »
I evaluated Aninoquisi's Lightning/2000 application and Astrogenic's NexStorm application.

My previously stated conclusion was that they are both most excellent, for different reasons.

The data from Lightning/2000 is, to my mind, more accurate than that from NexStorm, but Lightning/2000's interface is not as polished as NexStorm's, and it lacks the super cool web functionality of the latter.

OTOH, NexStorm, while uber slick and all, seems to be lacking when it comes to overall quality of data, at least when compared with Lightning/2000.

Since I have no particular interest in sharing my lightning fun with others, and because I am interested in the intricate nuts 'n' bolts of lightning, I prefer Lightning/2000 to NexStorm. If my aim was to provide live lightning data online, I'd be usin' NexStorm.

Both programs are really great at the things they do best. Some guys have different priorities, mine bein' a data obsession, which is why I chose Lightning/2000, but folk who are big on things Internet know that NexStorm is a better choice for them.

And I have ZERO affiliation with either Aninoquisi or Astrogenic, although they both got cash outta me, directly or indirectly!  :lol:

See, that's what I said and am sayin': One is good for this, the other is good for that. Neither suck. No more, no less. Yet some of you fellas have been howling like boiled monkeys all coz I dared to go with "the enemy" application, instead of promoting NexStorm, and you brand me a troll.

So what does that make you? I know what I am: I'm honest.  \:D/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:49:38 AM by Dragoon »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 06:55:50 AM »
I agree with George. This is a hardware sub.  Either add l2k to title, remove nexstorm, make another sub below this for each, or move the "lightning software" to the software section, or leave it alone (all work fine for me ...)

I can see why it was setup like this, as lightning detectors and software are not as common as pws's, so to make 3 separate topics would dilute the potential postings.... and like many of the other hardware sections, software posts/questions/specific issues related to the software will sneak in, and probably be more in context here anyway.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 07:57:52 AM »

Offline lorick

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
What I find amazing about this post is that "Dragon" was able to determine which software worked better for his needs in less than a month during the winter???  We have had some very severe lightning storms in the US in the last month but I guess my NexStorm just has not picked them up.  I am sure L2K has seen much more.

Rick Jungerberg
Eau Claire,WI
Lorick Weather Live
StrikeStarUS

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 09:37:55 AM »
Rick,

Welcome to the forum!

LOL

Offline Dragoon

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »
What I find amazing about this post is that "Dragon" was able to determine which software worked better for his needs in less than a month during the winter???  We have had some very severe lightning storms in the US in the last month but I guess my NexStorm just has not picked them up.  I am sure L2K has seen much more.

Rick Jungerberg
Eau Claire,WI
Lorick Weather Live
StrikeStarUS

You sure do make a lot of assumptions.

For one thing, I have had this beastie for more than a month. Not a LOT more than a month, but still more than one month. Christmas came EARLY for me.

Now, comparing outputs from both applications, I was able to determine that L2K was more accurate and in-depth, while NexStorm is significantly better from the pov of web functionality. So a fella or gal interested in geeky data may best take a gander at Lightning/2000, but if what they want to do is keep the world enlightened (Heh!) with regard to their local lightning activity, they oughta consider NexStorm.

BOTH applications are mighty fine at the things they do best.

Now I coulda sworn I said that already. Like, a whole bunch of times. Guess that makes me a "troll", huh? You know, for not promoting NexStorm only?  :lol:

"WXForum.net: The Independent Weather Enthusiast's Forum"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:02:49 PM by Dragoon »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »
That seems reasonable to me.  Sorry you seem to have gotten off on the wrong perception in this forum.

blackjack52

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
Bob,
Sincerely,
George Richardson

Ditto.

Bob,
Stating that a favorable post about a product is 'fiction' constitutes what?

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2010, 12:12:23 AM »
Bob,
Sincerely,
George Richardson

Ditto.

Bob,
Stating that a favorable post about a product is 'fiction' constitutes what?

Don't know. I guess we'll have to ask "Dale"  :roll:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2010, 04:42:23 AM »
Now, comparing outputs from both applications, I was able to determine that L2K was more accurate and in-depth, while NexStorm is significantly better from the pov of web functionality. So a fella or gal interested in geeky data may best take a gander at Lightning/2000, but if what they want to do is keep the world enlightened (Heh!) with regard to their local lightning activity, they oughta consider NexStorm.

BOTH applications are mighty fine at the things they do best.

Clear and concise and if that's the "nuts&bolts" of the two then it answers a lot for me.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline meteolarissa

• Personal weather station in North Greece
    • Current Weather in Larissa , Greece
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2010, 07:07:57 PM »
pplz hello from Greece in Europe.. :-P :-P :-P :grin: :grin:
I read all interesting you describe about...
Im a future buyer of boltek (i dnt no if i can manage cheaper tracker or i will  get ld250).
I think that the most important thing is the accurancy  and then <face and luxury>.
So i guess that more accurate in close and meddium distance is l2000.Am i right?
Please anyone have a look to accurancy could spend little time explain me that...
I need accurancy in close and meddium<200km range....What hardware(tracker or ld250) and software i need...??? for best result....
View and applets and luxury are not for me......I need accurancy even i paint the map and show it to my site\:D/ \:D/ :grin: :grin: :grin: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MeteoLarissa PWS,Thessalia,Greece.VP2 6153 with Heater and Solar Sensor.Camera Creative Live+ Logitech pro9000+ +Weatherlink+WD10.37+VWS+VP+Wxsolution++++ etc

blackjack52

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2010, 09:22:40 PM »
I recommend the pci card w/ L2K for your requirements.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2010, 10:27:27 PM »
Or, try them both (software) and you decide.  =D&gt;