Author Topic: 2813 Rain Sensor reading WAY high  (Read 11962 times)

Offline CasaDelGato

• Big Cats and Electric Cars
2813 Rain Sensor reading WAY high
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
I picked up a WS2813 last week at CostCo.
Setup was pretty easy, and I have Heavy Weather Pro installed and working with it.
The day after setting it all up, the rain sensor suddenly jumped from 0.26" of rain, to 2.5" of rain.  (Happened over about 15 minutes of light rain.)
In the last 4 days, the total rain was up to 52"!
Oddly enough, the "last 24 hours" number seemed to be valid.  (Usually far lower than the last hour reading.)
So I pulled the batteries out of the temp sensor, and the base station, waited and restarted all of it.
Rain sensor was immediately displaying 2.6" again.  (I really don't want to pull the batteries on the rain sensor, it's hard to get to.)

Any suggestions?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 2813 Rain Sensor reading WAY high
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 03:02:16 PM »
If you get a rain reading on the console (set in hour, 24 hour) immediately after batteries are inserted then pull them back out, wait a minute, and re-insert them until you get zero's for the display. The console didn't reset completely when this happens and your rain total will get messed up if you leave it in this condition.

To check the rain gauge out you could remove the cone and slowly tip the buckets to confirm the counts with the console/display set in hour rain reading mode. Should see .01 added for each tip.

Offline CasaDelGato

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »
Okay, took the batteries out of the display for several minutes.
When I put them back in, the rain displayed ---- for a short time, then 0 for a short time, then 2.6".
It's still showing 2.6" in the last hour, even though it hasn't rained.
Guess it's time to get the ladder and reset the rain gauge.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:53:11 PM »
Is this in the hour display mode on the console? The " --- " is searching, the " 000 " is found the rain gauge which indicates to me the rain gauge doesn't need it's batteries removed/inserted. I'm just confused where the " 2.6 " is coming from if the display is in hour mode. This should be 000 even if it's raining but will start counting as the buckets tip. The thermo/hygro sensor relays the rain gauge counts to the console but doesn't retain old info so it's not coming from that either. I can only suggest removing the console batteries again, press and hold the 'set' button to completely drain the circuitry, then reinsert the batteries. If this '2.6' or anything other than 000's appear while in the hour display mode then something is wrong.

Could also try the factory reset procedure on page 15 if you haven't already.

Edit: oh yeah, welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:09:40 PM by DanS »

Offline CasaDelGato

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »
Something is definitely wrong.
I've attached a screen shot of the Heavy Weather Pro display.
This is since the full reset yesterday afternoon.  We did have some rain, but only about 1/4" total since then.

Offline CasaDelGato

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
Checking the manual, it turns out that I DID do the factory reset yesterday.  (I didn't realize it was a "Factory" reset, and was trying anything I could find.)
So, that didn't help either.
I'm contacting Lacrosse support.  Maybe I'll have to swap it out under warranty.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »
Is it possible that you have an interfering transmitter nearby, like a wireless phone, wireless network access point/print server, etc.? Have you tried different locations for the console/display, removing/replacing batteries with each move, to see if you can get different results? It seems content with that 2.6" reading.

Can you see this on the console/display alone, with the computer connection disabled? Just to rule out the HW Pro program having a problem and uploading this to the console.

Be ready with the LaCrosse tech's (if you get a reply) with, 1. 'batteries are the number 1 cause ...'  and 2. 'a total system system reset per the manual ...' which it sounds like you've covered already. Your situation doesn't sound like a result of either of these.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:07:10 PM by DanS »

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »
This may not be the issue you are describing, but after resetting total to 000, the 24hr, week and month will NOT reset to zero, but will roll-out at those intervals.  It says this in the FAQ on the 28xx support webpage.  I was looking for a way to do this, since I did a test setup of a 2813 at my house on the rainy side of the Cascade mountain range (over 3" of actual rain) and then moved it to the desert side and wanted to clear it.

But if it is still reading thousands of tips/hour, something else is still wrong.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline CasaDelGato

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 10:44:34 AM »
I did get a reply from support:
"The problem that you are experiencing is as a result of static/RF influence. Please note that electronic devices should all be 6+ feet from any of the system components. The sensors can be mounted to any material other than standard grade (white) PVC as this has a great ability to build up static electricity. Also, please check for any electrical lines, transformers, utility lines that are relatively close to the sensors as this will also contribute to the issue."

None of the sensors are near anything.  (I also will point out that the system worked fine for about 12 hours before it started going weird on me.)
I'm going to try and move the display around and see if it starts working again.

Offline CasaDelGato

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 11:14:50 AM »
And here is the reply I just sent to Lacrosse support:

The rain sensor is about 10' from the house, mounted on a wood post.
The temp sensor is about 8' from the house, mounted on a wood post.
The Wind sensor is about 30' from the house, mounted on a wood post.
I took the batteries out of the display unit, took it outside and sat 2' from the temp sensor.
I took the batteries out of the temp sensor.
I put the batteries back in both devices.

The display rain level showed "----", then it showed "0" for about 30 seconds, then it jumped to "3.59".
Note that it is not raining.
Also note that this whole setup worked fine for about 12 hours before it started flaking out.

Any other suggestions?

Offline CasaDelGato

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 02:42:52 PM »
And I just tried unplugging my cordless phone, and turning off my WAP.
No change.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »
When you see the '---', '000', then numbers, can you rock the tipping buckets and see these number increase? Just to confirm the rain gauge is connected and the reed switch is functioning.
 In the rain gauge you could try manually rocking the tipping buckets many times to exercise the reed switch with the thinking the reed switch could be close to closing (making contact) and causing false counts. The rocking the buckets may get it opening/closing correctly if this is the case.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:15:28 PM by DanS »

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »
where do you have the rain gauge mounted?  How stable is it?  If it's not electronic, it sounds like something is shaking the rain gauge. 

Offline CasaDelGato

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »
Rain gauge works fine.  Rocking the bucket does cause counting to go up.
Finally figured out the "obvious" problem.
The Brand New Duracell batteries that came with the display unit were bad.
After my last experiment (moved all units 200' from the house, and had the same problem), Lacrosse sent me an RMA, but ALSO included the exact voltage requirements for the batteries.
They must be at least 1.48v.  The temp and rain sensor batteries both read in the 1.55-1.60 range, but the display unit was only 1.49.
So I bought new batteries, and replaced them.
Seems to be working now.  Won't really believe it until it works for at least a week.

How long should these batteries last in the unit?  With HeavyWeather Pro running all the time on my PC?

Offline CasaDelGato

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »
Spoke too soon.
After an hour or so, it read 2.66" in the last hour, and 0.04" in the last 24 hours, and 0 in the week/month.
Total rain read 0.04".

Umm, as far as I can tell, those numbers don't make any sense.
Currently, HWPro is reading 2.59" in the last hour (max of 7.81"), and 0.04" in the last 24 hours, 0 for the week/month, and 0.04" for total.
(Note: It's not raining.  The 0.04" is probably from me bumping the unit as I screwed it down to the post again.)

Note that I did do a full factory reset after replacing the batteries.
It seems to me that something is hosed up in the Display unit.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
Yes, it does sound like the console is having problems. You say after you replaced the batteries it seemed to run fine for an hour or so then showed the bad reading in the hour rain section again. At this time the 24hr and total show .04" which sounds o.k. but doesn't match the hourly 2.6". Appears a replacement is needed.
The documentation states the batteries are good for 2 years but I've had to replace the console and temp/hum sensor in 1 yr. Rain gauge is still on original batteries though, installed Dec. 09.

Offline makito

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 09:51:58 PM »
Any resolution to this problem. Just got mine for Christmas and having the same issue

Thanks

Offline CasaDelGato

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 11:11:38 PM »
Any resolution to this problem. Just got mine for Christmas and having the same issue

I received the unit back from Lacrosse a few days ago, but since I'm currently recovering from pneumonia, haven't had time to see if they actually fixed or replaced the unit.

... later...
Ok, I just checked.  There is a sheet of paper in the box that said they replaced all 3 units. (Rain, Temp, Display)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:59:34 PM by CasaDelGato »

Offline bwalky

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 11:59:41 AM »
I also received this weather station from Costco and am the exact same problem with the rain gauge.  Seems to frequently receive an erroneous pulse of data from rain gauge of 2.59 inches.  I was out of town for 4 days and the weather station read over 300 inches of rain!

Has there been any resolution to this issue other than replacing the unit?

Offline pheagney

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »
Hi all,

I have been experiencing EXACTLY the same problem with the rain readings as well! I received the WS-2813 as a Christmas gift. Further to this problem, a couple of days after activating the system the display suddenly went dull and started blinking slightly. I tried a few different sets of alkaline batteries and factory reset the system multiple times but the problem remained.

Also, I was finding that the history being saved in the HW software when I had the weather station running was really strange. I was getting readings back in 2000 (!!) with wild temperature readings as well. I live in Australia where it is summer here. There is no chance that this data is correct. I have attached an image of the readings I have been getting.

I am starting to think after reading many posts that the display is probably faulty. Because I am in Australia and the fact that I purchased the weather station from the US, La Crosse sent me a reply to my email saying that my warranty can not be utilized due to the weather system operating outside the US. I am still awaiting a reply from La Crosse Australia but I don't like my chances of obtaining a replacement display under the warranty.

If anyone has suggestions about what I could do (solutions would be great!) or maybe where I might be able to obtain a replacement display (I would be happy to pay) it would make me a happy person! I scoured the internet for many hours last night to try to find a replacement display but I had no luck.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 05:46:17 PM »
Well with history readings like you're seeing and the fact that you mentioned the display dimming and blinking sure makes a faulty console/display sound likely. Both your outside and inside temperature readings are at the absolute bottom of the sensor's limits along with those wind readings does point to the console having issues.

I'm sure Australia is like here in Thailand where you could probably find an economical replacement on line outside the country but it's the costs of getting in country that offsets most deals. Possibly an E-bay deal and 'bite the bullet' on shipping or know anybody traveling that can carry a replacement console?

Offline pheagney

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I thought 'biting the bullet' was more than likely going to be the only option. Would anyone know where I might find a replacement display for the ws-2813??? I spent hours last night scouring the net with no luck.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 07:15:01 AM »
Quote from: pheagney
...La Crosse sent me a reply to my email saying that my warranty can not be utilized due to the weather system operating outside the US.

Quote from: LaCrosse 2813 Warranty
This limited warranty begins on the original date of purchase, is valid only on products
purchased and used in North America and only to the original purchaser of this product.

This is completely reasonable, because metric weather is very rough on wx sensors.  Or maybe it is the 50Hz batteries.

Seriously though, that really sucks that a new toy is broken like this.  Since the 2813 is sold as a kit for economy's sake and LaC isn't being too helpful, you might have to get the person that sent it to you to purchase another one for you.  Then you have plenty of spare parts, or they could just send you the console only to save on shipping.  Otherwise, if you have to breach the issue with your gift-giving friend in the US, maybe ask if they could send the console for you (provided they still have the receipt) which would still put you out the shipping costs.  Since spare parts don't seem to be otherwise available, there doesn't seem to be too many options.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline pheagney

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 04:40:01 AM »
Hi all..

Thought I would provide an update on the issues I was having with my WS-2813. Thankfully I was able to obtain a full refund on the system. The display was definitely not working correctly. I have now got a successfully operating WS-2811! No problems as all! The display even has a nice oak finish which compliments my home decor quite nicely. :)

Thanks to all those that offered their suggestions.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 07:54:55 AM »
Good to hear. Enjoy your new 2811!

anything