Author Topic: [Unboxing] Houzetek Weather Station W001  (Read 3876 times)

Offline djtopy

[Unboxing] Houzetek Weather Station W001
« on: April 25, 2018, 07:51:07 AM »
Preface:

I just bought this weather station from Amazon.

Nowadays, we can download thousand of different Weather Apps on our smart phone. You might ask yourself - why do we still need a “Weather Station” at home?

Let us think more about this topic. Right now, you can watch the time on your smart phone, but you still buy or have a clock in your home, don’t you?

Once you take a “Weather Station” home,  install it on the wall or place it on your desk, it becomes both a decorative and a useful tool, and you’d more likely to look up and check the date and time on it, than pick up and unlock your phone to check the time or the weather forecasts.

On the other hand, many people might have a query about the accuracy of a Weather Station.

A few years ago, it was quite common to find inaccurate weather stations, but now, since most of these devices are provided with an outdoor sensor, the risk of buying inaccurate products is almost lowered to zero.

Outdoor sensors are created to detect precise data from outdoor, and transmit those data to the indoor weather station to be displayed on the screen. Outdoor sensors do increase Weather Stations’ accuracy.

The following are this product’s main features:

Indoor/Outdoor temperature (℉/℃)
    Indoor/Outdoor humidity (%RH)
    Max/min temp alert
    Hour and date (month/day/year) display
    12/24 hour time with snooze alarm and alarm icon
    Color forecast icons with comfort level
    3 Channels for optional multiple sensor reading (additional sensors not included)
    Week day display in 7 optional languages
    Adjustable backlight
    Integrated USB charging port

Unboxing:

▼ Houzetek Wireless Color Weather Station has a stylish and eco-friendly package design, made of environment friendly recycled materials and in aquamarine color.

▼ Although “Houzetek” is not one of the most well-known brands on the market, after studying their official website I realized all their products are guaranteed by international standards and certifications.

▼ This Weather station has a LED color backlight screen

▼ Let us open the box:

▼ All accessories are displayed from left to right: Instruction Manual, Introduction Card, Main Unit, Adaptor, Outdoor Sensor (lower right corner).

▼ The introduction card contains information about “Houzetek” Brand History, Contacts, Customer Service.

▼ The Instruction Manual

▼ and the content is very detailed.

▼ The main body is made of plastic, its texture is acceptable to the touch. The screen size is about 19cm.

▼ USB port and adaptor plug-in hole are at one side of the main body. It is worth pointing out that when the charging adaptor is plugged in, the USB port can provide an output of 1A.

▼ All operating buttons are at the top of the main body.

▼ We find the cooling vent at the back of the unit body, as well as 3 integrated keyholes to install it on the wall.

▼ Printed output 1.0A at the back of USB port.

▼ Actual test:  it can provide an output of 1.1A

▼ Built-in horizontal supporting stand

▼ That’s what “2 ways to stand” means

▼ The weather station needs to be powered by 3 x AAA batteries

▼ This is the Wifi Wireless detector, lightweight, palm-sized, it can be placed outdoors. In order not to affect the data detection, it is recommended to place it in a covered or shaded area, and do not expose it to sunlight directly.

▼ Integrated keyhole at the back, powered by 2 x AAA batteries. It is possible to set the Wifi channel at the center of the detector, and one Weather Station can match max 3 x Wifi wireless detectors.

▼ The charging adaptor size is acceptable, easy to store and to carry. Output 5.0V/1.2A, the screen can be set to permanent or manual backlight when the adaptor is plugged in.

▼ Fine and clear color monitor. Outdoor data on the left side; Indoor data on the right side.

▼ Detail of the screen.

▼ Stronger contrast in dark environment/low light environment.

▼ The below picture is taken from the official website.

To conclude:

If we consider the appearance, “Houzetek” Wireless Color Weather Station is common, with the advantage that functions are immediate to understand, to use and the LCD display is bright and clear.

Which kind of new functions could be added to improve the product?

We could expect a PM2.5 detector, as well as a way to connect the Weather Station to other smart home facilities. But, in this case, the price would have to be much higher!

The Weather Station might be a bit pricey if you are just looking for a wall clock, but if you need a complete tool for your home, well, I definitely recommend it!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: [Unboxing] Houzetek Weather Station W001
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »

How much did it cost?

I have a LaCrosse station that is almost identical to this in appearance (especially the screen), with less buttons, no USB, and only one channel.

I'd dispute that this can be called a "weather station". At best it is an indoor/outdoor temperature/humidity station, having no wind or rain sensors. There apparently is an internal barometric pressure sensor in the console, but the readings are not accessible. It's only use is to drive the wildly inaccurate (in my experience) Zambretti style forecast icons.

And any outdoor temperature sensor in a black housing without a radiation shield can hardly be called accurate. Even in the shade, mine in a white housing varies by several degrees in daylight compared to the adjacent Davis VP2 ISS. At night it's within a degree or 2.

It does calculate dew point, which I do use at night to estimate the low temperature.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »
OPW - one post wonder so my guess is advertizement.  You can get this thing for under $50 US shipped free to your door.  I am sure with some looking on the usual suspects, prolly closer to $30 USD
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »
Outdoor sensors do increase Weather Stations’ accuracy.
Whatever that means.
This thing would be worthless here, the outdoor humidity only goes down to 25%. :roll:  Can't even remember when the humidity was that high here, except maybe at night.

anything