Author Topic: Are all Davis anemometer heads plug for plug equivalent?  (Read 623 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Are all Davis anemometer heads plug for plug equivalent?
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:22:49 PM »
I've looked through a lot of stuff, but haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for.

I know there are small cup and big cup and vanes with round shafts and D shaped shafts, etc.

But is the output, what occurs to plug into the ISS, all  the same no matter what I plug in?  I know there are improvments in bearings and slower wind speeds to start and all that, but other than the VP2 console adjusting to allow for small big or other settings, are pins 2-5 still functioning the same on all of them on the RJ-11 that gets plugged in?

I don't want to short anything out if I try another one and just want to plug it into the ISS.
Thanks. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline vinesweather

• Forecaster
    • The Vines Weather
Re: Are all Davis anemometer heads plug for plug equivalent?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:40:53 AM »
Not entirely sure but I did get this wiring diagram somewhere if it helps.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:21:48 PM »

That diagram is not for the VP2 but the Weather Monitor type junction box which runs an 8 wire (RJ45) cable from the box to the weather Station with three (3) inputs for the Anemometer, Rain and Temp/Humidity sensor to plug in via Rj11/12 type modular jacks on the junction box. There was also an optional protected junction box (7740) as well as a wireless version that looked similar but none have any bearing on the actual query.

I have never seen a Davis anemometer with any variation in the way the cable/plug is put together. Older WMII anemometers work in the VP2 ISS, this is fairly standard with Davis.   

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »

Looks like it's the fax I rxed from Davis many moons ago and posted to my blog back in 2011 (probably so i could reference it on this forum...). I used it to replicated the WMII junction box wiring on the 66 blocks in the Brain Room.