Author Topic: Davis and Mesh WIFI  (Read 1826 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Davis and Mesh WIFI
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
Any experience running your Davis data logger through one of the mesh wifi systems?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Davis and Mesh WIFI
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 06:11:59 PM »
Like Zigbee?  Didn't Dekay -  Jedi master of the clone logger - do that already?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »
What data logger?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 08:11:50 PM »
Any experience running your Davis data logger through one of the mesh wifi systems?

Since the datalogger must be wired to your computer from the VP2 console, not sure how mesh fixes it. As I understand the mesh technology, it is a replacement for a WiFi router in a home. And since the VP2 doesn’t have WiFi capability yet (think VP3!), I believe your answer is no, unless I am missing something.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:21:01 PM »
I'm using Davis Weather Envoy coming off of my Vue.  Envoy now plugs into router.  Mesh system would replace the router, thus the question.  Sounds like not many if any are using a Mesh wifi system.  Out...

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »
I'm using Davis Weather Envoy coming off of my Vue.  Envoy now plugs into router.  Mesh system would replace the router, thus the question.  Sounds like not many if any are using a Mesh wifi system.  Out...

In the typical scenario, the logger is in the console that connects to Weatherlink via a cable on a computer, an Weatherlink uploads the data to WU or CWOP or whatever. How does the Envoy upload to WU, etc.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »
It uses weatherlink IP Davis software.  I had it running so long without having to fool with I had to look at it tonight.  I do know the Envoy plugs into my router.  Been running for years with no problem.

Final product:  http://www.weatherlink.com/user/vabeachweather/index.php?view=main&headers=0

I'm not typical. :grin:

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 10:04:03 PM »

Since the datalogger must be wired to your computer from the VP2 console....

No, not so, quite a few WiFi like devices can connect to a data logger totally removing the requirements for a computer (as such)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 11:34:18 PM »
And Bellfryboy has designed a wifi link from the console/logger to the router/PC, eliminating the need for direct cableing to get to the Interwebs.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »
I bought the Netgear Orbi system (AC3000) and the Davis Vue works fine.