Author Topic: Davis stations vs hurricane Harvey  (Read 1909 times)

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
Davis stations vs hurricane Harvey
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:15 PM »
My location is about 9 miles s.e. of Victoria Texas and about 20 miles from the coast. I have two vp2 plus stations running plus remote anny transmitter and soil moisture station. I lost internet and power right away but all the stations reported info without fail on battery for the 9 days i had no power. My sustained winds were between 70 and 75 mph with gusts between 85 to 95 mph. The rain was blowing so hard that it pressure washed a shed i had made out of pressure treated wood that had turned gray with age and made them look like new lol. During all this which went on for several days before Harvey got out of the picture none of the gear failed. I opened the iss box of all the units as soon as i could and to my surprise i had no water problems in any of them. I had no failures or wind driven rain problems of any kind. Boy Davis is really tough gear.  Another reading that i was surprised at was the wind run on the anny at the height of the strom, it was a astonishing 49,656.2 miles. Hard to believe the anny didn't fly apart. I really thought i would lose my stations but i can now say Davis gear takes a licking and keeps on ticking lol. Thought this might be of interest to anyone who wonders how much bad weather a Davis station can take.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Davis stations vs hurricane Harvey
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:19 PM »
This is exactly why, if one can, you spend an extra dime.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:51:46 PM by CW2274 »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »
Wow, a great testimonial.  I've not yet had such severe conditions...

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »
Good to hear.  =D>
Randy

Offline berkeylee

• Weather at Great Hills in Austin, Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
Regrettably not all Davis weather stations fared as well. The Vantage Vue owned by a friend in Houston went out during the storm - even a change of batteries did not bring it back. As things go this became a lesser concern since his house did flood, but missing an opportunity to record (hopefully) once-in-a-lifetime levels of precipitation and wind data made the demise of his station somewhat untimely.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »
My location is about 9 miles s.e. of Victoria Texas and about 20 miles from the coast. I have two vp2 plus stations running plus remote anny transmitter and soil moisture station. I lost internet and power right away but all the stations reported info without fail on battery for the 9 days i had no power. My sustained winds were between 70 and 75 mph with gusts between 85 to 95 mph. The rain was blowing so hard that it pressure washed a shed i had made out of pressure treated wood that had turned gray with age and made them look like new lol. During all this which went on for several days before Harvey got out of the picture none of the gear failed. I opened the iss box of all the units as soon as i could and to my surprise i had no water problems in any of them. I had no failures or wind driven rain problems of any kind. Boy Davis is really tough gear.  Another reading that i was surprised at was the wind run on the anny at the height of the strom, it was a astonishing 49,656.2 miles. Hard to believe the anny didn't fly apart. I really thought i would lose my stations but i can now say Davis gear takes a licking and keeps on ticking lol. Thought this might be of interest to anyone who wonders how much bad weather a Davis station can take.
You also need to pat your self on the back for a top notch installation. =D>

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 02:10:38 AM »
Another reading that i was surprised at was the wind run on the anny at the height of the strom, it was a astonishing 49,656.2 miles.
Interesting.  That's a little short of twice the circumference of the earth.  So if your weather station had blown away when the storm first started, you would have seen it fly back overhead again once before going around again and splashing down in the gulf.  :grin:  (Well, maybe not, but pretty impressive anyway!)

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »
 :lol:

anything