Author Topic: Did my station die?  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Garagedude

Did my station die?
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »
My Acurite 5in 1 Pro is acting up. About 4 days ago my station (Pro) was saying that the batteries needed replacing and I was getting no weather data. I checked the batteries but all was good however I replaced them anyway with new lithium batteries. First 2 days I got a couple readings plus it updated to WU. Now the blue light flashes on the side that says activate and yellow light flashes on the back where the ethernet cable plus in. Also the signal strength icon on the console scrolls from zero to four up and down without stopping but sometimes stops!? Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:51:38 AM by Garagedude »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Did my station die?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:32:05 AM »
Lightning? It can kill many things.

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:40:05 AM »
So how would I double check this?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:47:59 AM »
It would help if you told us the brand and model of station. Also, then we can move this topic to the appropriate forum area.    
Administration » Bugs/Suggestions is for the actual operation of the forum itself, not weather station questions.

Chris

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »
So how would I double check this?

Did you experience lightning before the station quit? This is the easiest way. Next would be to get to the electronics for obvious signs of damage.

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 09:12:09 AM »
No lightening that I know of. I find it weird that it might work a couple times per day then quit.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »
Interference? Maybe a neighbor added something new on the 433 MHz and is disrupting the wifi signal. Anything new added between the sensor and display. Working/not working seems to be some kind of interference problem.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »
No lightening that I know of. I find it weird that it might work a couple times per day then quit.

Many possible causes. Start with power supplies (change batteries to those specified, new ones). Poor connections, both wireless and physical account for many probs. A new RFI source nearby (a ham operator, wifi systems, etc). Options settings.
Then it could be a failing component, still under warranty? Does it output any error codes or indications? Then check the manual for an explanation.
Then, need to isolate the trouble to which system unit, and get a replacement if possible; or a whole new system.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 10:15:54 AM »
Interference? Maybe a neighbor added something new on the 433 MHz and is disrupting the wifi signal. Anything new added between the sensor and display. Working/not working seems to be some kind of interference problem.

That is correct. 433 MHz is pretty crowded. Anything from sensor devices, alarm system, tire pressure monitors, the list goes on.

If you have access to a 433 MHz receiver, you can listen in.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 10:18:43 AM »
If you can try moving either your display or SmartHub closer to the 5-n-1 station and see if that makes a difference.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
I moved smart hub closer to 5 in 1, and changed Ethernet cables, and still didn't work, blue light going crazy, no signal on Acurite monitor, left for church, came home and all is working, got full bars on signal strength and no flashing lights. Go figure, and WU is updated. This should rule out lightning.

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 11:05:08 AM »
I'm getting a message on monitor that Data logger is Full?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »
I'm getting a message on monitor that Data logger is Full?

Displays that have PC connect will log data for 2 weeks. You get that message when the display can't log anymore data after 2 weeks. You can choose to ignore the message or download the data to the PC to reset the display.

If you do not wish to download the data, simply ignore the "Data Logger Full" message.  It will not affect any other functions on your display. 

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
I noticed that I have some pine tree branches that are blocking the direct line of sight between the smart hub and the 5 in 1. Wonder what or if that's bothering it. Since I came home from church today it has worked without a problem.

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 12:00:17 AM »
About 930pm it quit tonight, last night it was about 1030pm. Its got me wondering what's going on somewhere close at night? We'll see if it comes back on by itself ?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 08:53:29 AM »
The variation in signal strength could indicate either interference or damp foliage.

This is interesting: I noticed that I have some pine tree branches that are blocking the direct line of sight between the smart hub and the 5 in 1. Wonder what or if that's bothering it. Since I came home from church today it has worked without a problem.

Were the pine branches wet by any chance?

I had a lot of "fun" sorting out my Davis repeater with a signal from the local Marina 2,000 ft away. (610m)
It was a long story (and effort) and I am not sure that my fixes are applicable to your Acu-Rite situation. I did see an Acu-Rite repeater somewhere https://www.acurite.com/wireless-signal-extender-for-acurite-sensors.html. You could try that or even a couple of them to try to overwhelm any interfering signals or foliage loss. If you could find a path around the pine trees with one or more repeaters, that might be worthwhile.

My own problem with the Marina signal was a combination of wet foliage loss and interference. I ultimately solved the interference with a Band Pass Filter tuned to the Davis 900MHz range. A higher gain antenna overcame the foliage loss. Again, this would not apply to your case, but the notion of interference and foliage loss are worth investigating.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
If you have any florescent lights, or those new light bulbs (CFL) they can kill a signal too. Also noise from some kind of small motor, like a bad fan motor inside the sensor will create enough leakage to make a signal become unreadable.

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 11:20:27 AM »
Well, got up today, first thing I checked the station and here's what I got today.
Smart Hub, no flashing lights, appears to be fine.
Display 01536 w/pc connect has NO signal, NO readings from outside
Display 06022 NO pc connect showing full bars on signal, and all outside readings. but last night it took forever to find a signal ( I did switch everything from channel C back to channel A just in case that was the issue.
They are setting within 3 feet of each other and the 01536 is in the window with direct shot at 5 in 1
Is the 06022 the problem?
I'm still not getting data to WU

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »
DoctorKnow,
I don't have any weird bulbs, or electrics that have been added or even close to the displays. Miraculon, I'll cut back the branch that could be in way but the other display works just fine...

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 12:16:52 PM »
I would really like to see what's coming out of that 5-in-1 sensor with an SDR and rtl_433!  My older 5-in-1 randomly changes station addresses on occasion, which essentially makes it disappear to all consoles until they are re-associated to the new station address by yanking the batteries and losing all settings.  Just wondering if yours is doing the same exact thing?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
I'm clueless, I stopped to eat a biscuit and checked and now both displays are reading great???
But no WU.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »
I'm clueless, I stopped to eat a biscuit and checked and now both displays are reading great???
But no WU.

Did you check on myAcurite for Data there?

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
I just checked, no data for over 18 hours.
Update:  I wasn't doing a refresh, its showing correct data
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:49:37 PM by Garagedude »

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 12:28:08 AM »
I gave up on Smart Hub, when I went back to Pc-Connect WU is back up. I put a 200 lumen spot light on my desk where the display sets, then went outside to find flashlight shining out the window inline with the 5 in 1. I could see the light but a lot of branches were in the way. I cut back all of those until I had no blockage from any limbs. So far tonight I've not had any signal issues if I keep it on Pc-Connect and keep laptop left on. I'm really thinking about an Ambient or Lacrosse purchase...I would make somebody a deal on all my Acurite equipment and never deal with Acurite again...

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 06:41:26 PM »
Have you tried a reboot/restart procedure on everything?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

anything