Author Topic: Red data  (Read 3773 times)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: Red data
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
The station is on the roof practically on top of the Meteobridge Pro box.
that might be the issue
i.e having the meteobridge right under neath
i.e the signal is not setup to go straight down, but more sideways

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 05:37:14 PM »
When there is a Davis console nearby you can also tell your console to retransmit packets on a certain transmitter ID and grab packets from there. In this case bandwidth needs to be set to normal, listening directly to sensors needs setting "narrow".

When you have the Meteobridge PRO close to other IT rig or in a heating up cabinet, these are not so great conditions. The fluctuation of RF signal strength indicate that RF situation is a bit troubled and it will need sensitivity settings of -85db orl less (-80db, etc).
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 11:46:29 AM »
I

I set the sensitivity down to -85
Connected new antenna which is on a cable.
The reception is still not ideal, but I will see today if it's good enough to get by.  If data is still interrupted I will have to give up on Ethernet connection and find a better, wireless location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 02:06:19 PM »

Slightly better so I will see how it does.
There ARE 2 other "hubs" a couple of feet down, one for smart lighting and one for a tv remote.
I can't move away from them and stay connected to Ethernet but I will if necessary.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »

Ok! An unbroken line of data reporting since the new antenna was installed yesterday. Cautiously optimistic.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 01:39:55 PM »
The red box has been working well without drops in signal data since I replaced the antenna, as suggested by a forum member.
It's not the strongest possible signal and the box isn't really where I would like to place it, but it's able to be connected via ethernet, which the germans recommended, and I am now satified with it and enjoying it.

I obviously recommend replacing the stock antenna if you get the red Pro and have any issues with RF reception.
I am not an RF expert, so I would just be cuious as to why the red Pro struggles with RF reception while, say, the Davis console has never blinked (well, i DID have to push it's antenna to a vertical position)?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 06:55:56 PM »
My guess?  Davis uses an application specific ASIC while Red uses a repurposed module.  Low level diff s in RF sensitivity etc.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
My guess?  Davis uses an application specific ASIC while Red uses a repurposed module.  Low level diff s in RF sensitivity etc.

Interesting.  Ha, I had to google ASIC, an acronym only an engineer would be likely to know.
That certainly does make sense.  Something the makers of Red Pro should look at.

anything