Author Topic: 5 in 1 Pro + pics  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
5 in 1 Pro + pics
« on: August 16, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »
Mods, feel free to move.  I can't post in the weather station pics forum from Tapatalk.

I installed my new 5 in 1 at our weekend place.  I've been checking it daily!  I really like the ability to see what going on at the house.  The closest stations are miles away and at different altitudes.  The display is really nice as well.  I'm so happy with it, I have another coming for our main house.

I used a antenna mount and a 5' galvanized pole:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Re: 5 in 1 Pro + pics
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 07:58:11 PM »
Mounted!

Level:

Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »
The display

Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:39:59 PM »
looks great Glenn  =D> how far is your 5n1 from your display? is it holding all 4 bars good? I love then HD displays I wish they had them when I ordered my 5n1.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline DJFaninTN

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:03:23 PM »
curious what antenna mounts you used? looks nice and beefy.

did you add any supports on the inside of your shed to help brace it?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:45:14 PM by DJFaninTN »

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
daman,
Good question! I'll measure this weekend. I'd say 30-40'? It's not all that far and they're probably both at roughly the same height. The display is very nice. I do have to fiddle with it a bit this weekend. I don't think it's dimming automatically at night. It's a small weekend house and any source of light will really illuminate the main level when it's dark out.

DJFanininTN,
I used this mount from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Channel-Master-CM-9025-Heavy-Duty-Antenna/dp/B001RCMEEA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1502993674&sr=8-8&keywords=antenna+mount  Just under $10 shipped. Came with pretty decent hardware as well. I may tap in an additional screw to keep the pole from potentially sliding. 1" OD is probably the smallest mast/pipe the mount will hold and it can get chilly in the winter up there.

I haven't done anything to the inside of the shed. That's actually not a bad idea. I'll take a look this weekend and see how things look from the inside. The mount is very stable on the outside as of now.

I appreciate the compliments!
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DJFaninTN

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 03:41:53 PM »
Thanks for the info Glenn.

I am considering using these mounts. I may end up using two of them just because it can get a little windy here at times. I am going to be attaching to a shed just like you did.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Uas1t68hW8E[/youtube]

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
Those are interesting! I haven't seen that style before. I like the fact that you can adjust the side to side movement. That should help with keeping the pole and station perfectly level.

When I installed the mounts I used, I made sure to use a level. I also ensured the pole was plumb before mounting the second bracket.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »
Looking good Glen! I hope you checked the Calibration on your Rain Gauge. Mine was over reporting a little bit and I used this procedure to calibrate it.

https://support.acurite.com/acurite/topics/better-5-in-1-rain-calibration-procedure

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 08:06:20 AM »
Thanks Chief! We had some rain the first evening after I installed it. I think it may have been under reporting based on the simple glass tube rain gauge we have on our deck. Then again, that one was something I picked up a drug store, so who knows how accurate that is! Regardless, we are getting some rain up there today and tonight. I'll compare the glass gauge and the unit and then go from there. Those directions look to be helpful! And probably easier than the drip cup method Acurite recommends.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »
Thanks Chief! We had some rain the first evening after I installed it. I think it may have been under reporting based on the simple glass tube rain gauge we have on our deck. Then again, that one was something I picked up a drug store, so who knows how accurate that is! Regardless, we are getting some rain up there today and tonight. I'll compare the glass gauge and the unit and then go from there. Those directions look to be helpful! And probably easier than the drip cup method Acurite recommends.

I would recommend a CoCoRaHS type Rain Gauge like this:

http://www.weatheryourway.com/cocorahs/rgcoco.htm

To compare to your 5-In-1

You can also find them on Amazon, Ambient and Rainman Weather.

And then Join CoCoRaHS:
https://www.cocorahs.org/

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 08:43:57 AM »
Timely advice Chief!

From yesterday's rain in our area: 5 in 1 = 2.08", rain gauge on the deck: 3" other local PWSs on WU: Around 1".

So, I may need to re-calibrate. I'm not worried about the local PWS readings. We've had some very local, very heavy rain this summer. This was one of those storms! We had under an inch when I left work, and as my wife and were driving up north (about two hours later), we had over 2" showing on the app!
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

anything