Author Topic: Weatherstation installation in a suburban environment  (Read 1637 times)

Offline adam.currey

Weatherstation installation in a suburban environment
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:36:47 PM »
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can provide some guidance.  I'm hoping to install a new weather station (thinking maybe Davis Vantage Vue or Pro2) but I'm a little stuck on the where and how to physically install it.  From browsing this site, I mostly see people installing them in rural or semi-rural situations where they have sheds to install them on, or somewhere to raise a 40' pole.  I don't have either of those options - I have a small suburban block and a very small yard.  The most obvious solution is to mount a tripod on the roof, but being a brand new house I'm reluctant to drill holes in my new roof to mount it.

So.. any ideas I haven't thought of?

Thanks,
Adam

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
Re: Weatherstation installation in a suburban environment
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 11:58:42 PM »
A back yard over a small grassy area would be the most ideal in your situation. Perhaps you have a fence or deck to mount the station to? Those would be my suggestions.
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline adam.currey

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:09:31 AM »
Thanks Alex.  I could mount it to the fence, but the wind measurements would be inaccurate due to the surrounding houses.  I'm under the impression (please tell me if I'm wrong!) that the anemometer would need to be above the height of the surrounding houses in order to be accurate.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
In a suburban area the mounting of any weather station is going to be a compromise. First thing to check is homeowners or deed restrictions.

A rooftop mount will be better for wind measurement but it will be a heat island for temperature. Also are you willing and able to get to it when it needs maintenance. The rain collector will collect pollen, seeds, leaves and airborne trash. If it is a wireless unit, then there are batteries that will need attention at some point.

A yard mount gives better temperature readings but probably less accurate wind readings if surrounded by buildings, fences or landscape plantings. You can make some improvements by getting a unit that allows separation of the sensors but then the price starts to climb.

Just consider all your plus/minus features and make your choice from there.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:25:59 AM »
I do not know if there is a perfect installation under city conditions.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
Look into TV antenna mounting kits. A J-Mount could work. Or something you can screw into the wooden siding. I'm using a antenna mount for my current weather station.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »
The VP2 you can separate the anemometer. That's the idea mount on mast above roof and rest of station at ground level.

There is even the wireless option for anemometer.
Randy

Offline adam.currey

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 01:50:45 AM »
Thanks for your input everyone.  I think I'll see about mounting it on a J-bracket and see if I can mount a separate anemometer, or live with the less-than-perfect wind measurements.

anything