Author Topic: davis vue and dew point  (Read 612 times)

Offline Harris

davis vue and dew point
« on: February 20, 2019, 02:52:27 PM »
I think the dew point should change more than this pic. shows. Is something wrong? I have it in open grass field 8 feet off ground. First post.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: davis vue and dew point
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »
Firstly, what time frame is that? Just this morning my dew only varied between 21-23F for 7 full hours.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 03:06:15 PM »
And as I look further, it spent 14 hrs between 21-25F.

Offline Harris

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 03:09:34 PM »
12 am to 3 pm today.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »
Well, if it never moves again, you'll know somethings wrong. Otherwise, it's completely possible. Dew points can be much more stable than temps.

Offline Harris

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 03:23:57 PM »
This is a station south of me. There is not much change but it is changing.

Offline Harris

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 02:45:28 PM »
Ok, thanks but another question. The station south of me gives dew point in tenths [Cumulus v1.9.4] and also updates every 5 seconds. My station gives dew points in only whole numbers [weather link]. Is that because of the software.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 04:17:08 PM »
Ok, thanks but another question. The station south of me gives dew point in tenths [Cumulus v1.9.4] and also updates every 5 seconds. My station gives dew points in only whole numbers [weather link]. Is that because of the software.

From Davis manual https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/6152_62_53_63_SS.pdf dew point is calculated to whole number.
Cumulus, and likely other weather programs as well calculate to 1/10th.

I also recall a discussion in the WiFiLogger thread discussion about dew point decimal calculation and thought Wojtek has that as an option for his logger since the Davis only provides full numbers.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 04:18:36 PM »
As far as tenths, I believe that's software and where the data's sent. As far as 5 second updates, that may be the update interval overall, but the dew itself is not updating that fast, zero necessity for that. Only seeing the wind displayed can you benefit from the "quicker the better" when talking seconds.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »
From Davis manual https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/6152_62_53_63_SS.pdf dew point is calculated to whole number.
Cumulus, and likely other weather programs as well calculate to 1/10th.
WL displays the dew in tenths. MesoWest also does, but the temp is rounded, dumb as that seems...

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
Yes forgot to mention, third party software like Cumulus does send the realtime.txt in seconds...  However my system seems to be bogged down a lot and it is much longer than the 10 sec I have it set at www.komokaweather.com/weather/realtime.txt

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Harris

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 01:07:29 PM »
Well I looked at my manual and yes it said dew in whole numbers. The reason I posted was when I looked at my graph it had a straight line until it got to the next whole number and some times that could be long, looking as if it was not working right. 

I guess I'm still puzzled how the station to my south (which is the same weather station) but using a different software is displaying in tenths.  This same station also seems to be updating using rapidfire on wunderground which I thought was no longer available.

It's all good...just wanted some feedback.  Thanks for all the replies.                                     

anything