Author Topic: **Acurite Atlas 7/8 with FARS + Many Add-Ons Now Available** -Elite Soon?  (Read 49670 times)

Offline txbayou

Re: New Acurite Atlas 7/8 Station (Elite Summer 2018?) HD FARS
« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
For the size, it is really light. Maybe 5 lbs. ? Once it is on a solid mast, it doesn't seem to be fighting the wind. I did take mine down for the hurricane, because I was afraid trees would destroy it.

Should have mentioned I'm curious how the weight of Atlas compares to the weight of the 5/1. Should be quite a bit heftier, since previous discussions have described the Atlas as being beefier with higher quality materials and components than the 5/1.
FWIW Amazon states 7.5 lbs as "item weight" for all the various combo packs they are offering, this seems (even 5 lbs) a little too hefty for what I'm used to putting up on an unguyed pole.
Looks like Atlas still comes with that little mounting elbow, like the 5/1 has, in that case I can put it on a flat rail on top of a wooden fence and weight is not an issue.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:40:57 AM by txbayou »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2018, 12:22:56 PM »
Is it too soon to talk about the Atlas Elite? While were here expecting deliveries of the Atlas I'm wondering if the Atlas Elite will also ship and if yes when?...and at what price? I know nobody can answer these questions as it seems Acurite kept a tight seal on information regarding the Atlas. But I was just hoping maybe because the Atlas was out that maybe they would give us some information on the Atlas Elite.

I really hope both the Atlas and especially the Atlas Elite kick some Davis butt. I'd like to see Davis finally do something before this decade is out as they have done nothing. Well I suppose they have updated their Weatherlink to version 2.0. Maybe that is in preparation to their new VP3 or whatever it will be called, but they need to hurry up already.

I'm not a fan of any particular company. I just like to see good competition and good customer choices.

The Atlas is nice but I just prefer the look of the Atlas Elite so much better...as it looks like a VP2 a bit in design. I just hope the price of the Atlas Elite isn't in the VP2 price range as that would be a mistake. Both Atlas and Atlas Elite have the same sensors...just faster refresh on the Elite it seems and configured for separate anemometer (regardless of the Atlas extension option). How much can that really add to the cost and be justifiable? I really really hope that the Atlas Elite is not cancelled. I just read some posts a while back where people were speculating that it may be cancelled and I didn't like reading it. Even though those were probably unsubstantiated claims, it just makes you wonder if that could happen.

Isn't it ironic how the Acurite Access is called "Access" but it gives you no direct access to the data and to run your own wx software. I'm sure I'm not the first to make that comment. This is the first thing Acurite needs to address and fix. And Davis if you are listening keep the VP3 data easily accessible and hurry up already, oh and fix the humidity sensor issue, or you are toast. Acurite may become the new gold standard, they certainly can win if they open up data access.

So Acurite....you are on a roll here, congratulations, now go for the gold and give us the customers what we want. We are throwing money at you. We are your best advocates. This is your chance. Meanwhile Davis is probably finally completing their VP3 plans and they are going to add directional lightning detection, and personal doppler radar, and earthquake detection, and outer space weather capabilities (you know because that will be important soon according to Elon). Okay so maybe I went a little far there...but Acurite don't think the race is over.

Well enough ranting.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:27:59 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2018, 01:22:43 PM »
I doubt that Acurite will want to give us any information about the Elite while they are in the initial roll-out sales spike they will get with the Atlas. The last thing they would want to do is to encourage some of us to wait for the Elite.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2018, 01:54:39 PM »
I doubt that Acurite will want to give us any information about the Elite while they are in the initial roll-out sales spike they will get with the Atlas. The last thing they would want to do is to encourage some of us to wait for the Elite.

Well my view is that Acurite is encouraging many to wait for the Elite regardless by not releasing it and not giving out more information (like price and release date). There are a lot of holdouts. Apple doesn't release the the new iPhone XR and suppress the release of the iPhone XS. They both come out at the same time. Either way they are upsetting their customers that bought or almost bought but decided to wait. Imagine the kick in the pants if you bought an Atlas and later discovered you could have had an Elite for only $150 more. Or what if you waited for the Elite and then later found out it was going to be 2x or 3x the price of the regular Atlas and then you kicked yourself for not having gotten the Atlas when it came out instead of waiting because the Elite maybe isn't worth the price difference to you. I understand being tight lipped before a product announcement...but at some point they need to be forthcoming with information and the cat is more than half way out of the box. I want to like Acurite but between these decisions and removing their customer forum, and eliminating customer support options, not selling globally, making the Access not really stand for "access," they sure are making it difficult to like them. I'm new to this hobby, and I decided to invest in an inexpensive Ambient station because as much as I thought I wanted a VP2 and could afford a VP2, that purchase just didn't feel right at the time (too bad I didn't get into this a years back or I'd be sporting a VP2). So my Ambient is like a nice starter system and I'll gladly replace it when the next best thing comes along. I'm not going to buy an Atlas at this point in time not knowing what the price is on an Elite.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:58:29 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
It's aliek a hobo watching a freight train - every car looks better than the last one but the train is picking up speed.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
I think if AcuRite had a system like Davis where you could buy a USB data logger then do with your data as YOU WANT, the Atlas could really give Davis a run for their money. For my uses, I would NEVER buy an Atlas because AcuRite has taken very specific measures to control MY DATA.

I am NOT a casual consumer, I want FULL CONTROL of my data, and AcuRite has decide that I should not have that ability with their stations.

The BS ideas of waiting to see IF someone can decode their data stream then use an SDR to receive the data is just that, BS. It's also BS to say "Well, AcuRite COULD provide access to other places through AcuRite IF THEY DECIDE TO" - I don't WANT my data ANYWHERE BUT ON MY SITE. I quit feeding WU and CWOP (Because CWOP provided MY DATA to WU) when WU announced their INSANE $850 PER MONTH API fee for the "Data Core package.

I'm an electromechanical engineer with two PhD's, AcuRite could have included a USB port for access to MY DATA for less than $1.00 per unit. I guarantee you in the future AcuRite will do away with displays entirely and FORCE people to PAY for accessing their data. I'm sure they got the idea from WeatherUnderground - convince millions of people to provide THEM with FREE DATA, then charge hundreds of dollars a month to access it. The amateurish, boorish concept of scraping the WU data will no longer be an option very, very soon.

My AcuRite? HA! AcuRite already tipped their hat that they are planning to CHARGE for My AcuRite access.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT SOMEONE to put the screws to Davis, but AcuRite, thus far, will not be that company. I would happily pay $99.99 for the AcuRite Access unit IF it gave ME FULL CONTROL OF MY DATA.

Is it too soon to talk about the Atlas Elite? While were here expecting deliveries of the Atlas I'm wondering if the Atlas Elite will also ship and if yes when?...and at what price? I know nobody can answer these questions as it seems Acurite kept a tight seal on information regarding the Atlas. But I was just hoping maybe because the Atlas was out that maybe they would give us some information on the Atlas Elite.

I really hope both the Atlas and especially the Atlas Elite kick some Davis butt. I'd like to see Davis finally do something before this decade is out as they have done nothing. Well I suppose they have updated their Weatherlink to version 2.0. Maybe that is in preparation to their new VP3 or whatever it will be called, but they need to hurry up already.

I'm not a fan of any particular company. I just like to see good competition and good customer choices.

The Atlas is nice but I just prefer the look of the Atlas Elite so much better...as it looks like a VP2 a bit in design. I just hope the price of the Atlas Elite isn't in the VP2 price range as that would be a mistake. Both Atlas and Atlas Elite have the same sensors...just faster refresh on the Elite it seems and configured for separate anemometer (regardless of the Atlas extension option). How much can that really add to the cost and be justifiable? I really really hope that the Atlas Elite is not cancelled. I just read some posts a while back where people were speculating that it may be cancelled and I didn't like reading it. Even though those were probably unsubstantiated claims, it just makes you wonder if that could happen.

Isn't it ironic how the Acurite Access is called "Access" but it gives you no direct access to the data and to run your own wx software. I'm sure I'm not the first to make that comment. This is the first thing Acurite needs to address and fix. And Davis if you are listening keep the VP3 data easily accessible and hurry up already, oh and fix the humidity sensor issue, or you are toast. Acurite may become the new gold standard, they certainly can win if they open up data access.

So Acurite....you are on a roll here, congratulations, now go for the gold and give us the customers what we want. We are throwing money at you. We are your best advocates. This is your chance. Meanwhile Davis is probably finally completing their VP3 plans and they are going to add directional lightning detection, and personal doppler radar, and earthquake detection, and outer space weather capabilities (you know because that will be important soon according to Elon). Okay so maybe I went a little far there...but Acurite don't think the race is over.

Well enough ranting.
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #231 on: September 21, 2018, 05:57:35 PM »
The BS ideas of waiting to see IF someone can decode their data stream then use an SDR to receive the data is just that, BS.

It's not that difficult.  It's not encrypted data.

The project already decodes around 100 device protocols.  They aren't going to be stumped by the Atlas.

Offline seamonkeys1

« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
Well I received mine the other day from amazon.com finally.

The lumens isn't being reported to weather underground. Are you guys also having this problem as well?

Wished the HD-Screen would tilt.

KSDSIOUX16

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »
UV and light is not being reported from mine either, and never has reported.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »
UV and light intensity data don't report properly to wunderground yet.

The Access is going to need a firmware update first.

Offline seamonkeys1

« Reply #235 on: September 28, 2018, 03:46:10 PM »
UV does, but not lumens.

Is this on Acurites road map?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
UV is what Wunderground says it is. It is not coming from the Atlas Access.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »
UV does, but not lumens.

Is this on Acurites road map?

UV is being shown from another source.

When the issue is corrected, UV will show as a graph on wunderground.

Offline seamonkeys1

« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »
yep you are both correct. I see another weather station near me is reporting UV and Solar.

Did Acurite give you an ETA for the firmware update?

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #239 on: November 02, 2018, 09:37:11 AM »
Yesterday, Acurite sent me a message that said they are still revising the Elite station and incorporating things they are learning from the other Atlas models, and that it hopefully will be available soon.

"Soon" can mean a lot of different things.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »
Thanks for the update... I will update the topic label.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
Here is my wish list of improvements for the Atlas Elite:

• Add ability to pull live data on local network for 3rd party software use
  • Ability to publish to personal SQL database on network with choice of frequency, I suppose this might be a good method or alternative to pulling live data
  • Ability to publish to more online services, CWOP, PWSweather, WeatherCloud..etc.
  • No lighting issues... Duh!
  • Fix temperature rounding in the console
  • Fix annoying console scrolling/flipping of data, allow for static sensor reading
  • Fix WU solar and UV not showing up
  • Allow for alternate instant rain rate reporting, let us choose so we aren't forced to use past 60 min rate
  • Forget automatic barometer calibration nonsense. Give us ability to dial in elevation calibration, at least make it a choice (Easy / Expert)
  • Give us choice of both SLP and Altimeter and let us pick a default pressure
  • Add bird spikes
  • Forget the SHT31, give us the SHT85
  • Add internal web server page to console for live data view and settings changes
  • Offer optional separate anemometer transmitter
  • Ability to add extra remote temperature/humidity sensors, even leaf wetness and soil would be nice
  • Keep myAcurite fully-featured and free. Like ambientweather.net is free. Unlike WeatherLink.com with price plans and free plan is only good for live data only

* Top of the list is more important than bottom of the list.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:53:19 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
Re: **Acurite Atlas 7/8 with FARS + Many Add-Ons Now Available** -Elite Soon?
« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »
Galfert, Chaney owes you a big thank you for your suggested list of items to improve the Elite. These improvements are sorely needed to elevate the consumer/hobbyist quality of their current line to a level that is more competitive with Davis and more in tune with what serious purchasers require.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:55:27 AM by BeaverMeadow »

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
Will Elite have WiFi integrated into the console?

The WS-2000 has me spoiled. No separate hub to have to locate, provide power to and hardwire to a router.  It can also pull data direct from the internet. (ex: NIST time) and provide direct configuration data to set up weather sites.  A smart console that can communicate wirelessly to the internet is really the way to go IMHO.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:08:05 PM by davefr »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2018, 01:19:36 PM »
Will Elite have WiFi integrated into the console?

The WS-2000 has me spoiled. No separate hub to have to locate, provide power to and hardwire to a router.  It can also pull data direct from the internet. (ex: NIST time) and provide direct configuration data to set up weather sites.  A smart console that can communicate wirelessly to the internet is really the way to go IMHO.

Yes WiFi console, according to Amazon listing for the Elite. It was further discussed in this other thread and a few posts past:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35394.msg362763#msg362763
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #245 on: November 02, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »
Galfert, Chaney owes you a big thank you for your suggested list of items to improve the Elite. These improvements are sorely needed to elevate the consumer/hobbyist quality of their current line to a level that is more competitive with Davis and more in tune with what serious purchasers require.

Thank you that is my goal, to wake up Davis back to this decade. If any one of the big companies wants to hire me as a consultant or product development manager I would do it. I guess then I'd have to stop talking bad about them, as right now I talk bad about all of them. Well I'm not really talking bad, just being honest on the issues.

I do hope that the Atlas Elite is a big success. The outdoor sensor array has a great design, unlike the Atlas 7/8 that to me looks like a limp you know what (a limp handshake is what I was thinking, yeah that's it. What were you thinking?). But I accept that others may love the Atlas 7/8 design, and Chaney did well targeting would be buyers of the Davis Vue in pricing and features. The Atlas Elite though has a lot of potential if Chaney did the things I proposed. They could then shoot for just under Davis VP2 pricing (almost). They would need to expand their sales reach beyond consumer / hobbyists and land some enterprise and government contracts.
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2018, 03:27:01 PM »
I am still waiting for my Atlas... I am glad I didn't get it before the issue of the noise interference was worked out... It was an easy guess for me that the issue was coming from the motor or it's components. I'm glad the wiring issue is an easy repair for Acurite. I don't need any greater accuracy than the Atlas offers as far as temperature and humidity go, or rainfall. I would enjoy getting rapid wind readings... I live where the wind is a big deal these days.

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »
Good Doctor,
Do you plan on scrapping your uploads to WeatherCloud,  or how do you plan to get the Atlas Data to that site?     Or are you keeping you current weather station and adding an Atlas too?

I am still lacking lightning which is really what I was waiting on since the Atlas was first announced.  My plan had always been to get the Atlas 8.  But Now that I see it is not easy task to get data up to more than 2 locations,  I am glad I went with the other guys offering.

galfert,
Did I read a discussion here on the board somewhere that AcuRite is considering charging a fee for My Acurite in the future?  I think that might be another suggesting for them NOT to do.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2018, 09:38:11 AM »
galfert,
Did I read a discussion here on the board somewhere that AcuRite is considering charging a fee for My Acurite in the future?  I think that might be another suggesting for them NOT to do.

Noted, and updated. Thanks!
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »

Davis offers subscription-based services.  Why shouldn't Acurite be allowed to charge for advanced services, too?

anything