Author Topic: Howdy from the Colorado Prairies!  (Read 2291 times)

Offline GUSRENTIT

Howdy from the Colorado Prairies!
« on: January 02, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »
I'm totally new here and everywhere to do with weather stations.
What I'm looking for is a weather station that is accurate, cabled/wired, not wireless. Next is that I don't want nor need a "consol/display", I would just rather skip the consol/display thing, and just use a wire/USB to my computer. Is there anything like that available?
Thanks Much,,,,

Southern Colorado is very diverse, 12/31/2010 midnight -21F, 1/1/2011 noon, 31F,, last night -12F noon today 48F.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: Howdy from the Colorado Prairies!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:27:56 PM »
You are asking for a Davis ISS 6322C, a 6316C cabled Envoy, and a WeatherLink data logger.

Is there any particular reason you do not want wireless?

Welcome to the forum.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
If you can live with it being wireless, Rainwise is an excellent choice as well in nearly the same price range.    http://www.ambientweather.com/ramkwiwestwi.html

Slightly more expensive and fits your criteria is the New Mountain weather station   http://www.weathershack.com/new-mountain-innovations/nm150.html

Both can be bought without a display/console.

Welcome to WxForum!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:19:37 AM by DanS »

Offline GUSRENTIT

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:02:30 PM »
  Thanks for your response Dave! Some of the reasons that I did not like the wireless ,, I think??? From what I read on the specs, their range is kind of limited and they don't seem to be "live" in their responses, they seem to report every few minutes or so, besides I bet they cost more. I also can't see me having a console that is too small for my poor eyes to see. I have the luxury of lots of room to play with on my property. I like all the info most offer, but what I really want is Wind and temp info, I'm in an area that can go from dead still to over 100+mph in a matter of a half hour, and the temps can go from -20f @ night to +50 @ 2PM or more, also most limit the wind gusts to under 120 MPH, where I'm sure I play with those limits on a regular basis. I'm trying to get some base info for wind power, the rest of the info, is great too.

Southern Colorado is very diverse, 12/31/2010 midnight -21F, 1/1/2011 noon, 31F,, last night -12F noon today 48F.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »
The wireless Davis stations do cost slightly more, but they update as frequently as the cabled stations.  That update rate is about the best in the business.

Davis stations have a range of 1000 feet across open fields.  That is a longer range that its competitors.  I don't think any cabled stations can be extended that far.  If you do get a cabled station, be sure to investigate its maximum cable length from the ISS to the logger.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:35:50 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Wedeliver

• Testing
    • Eagle's Nest RV Park
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:41:32 AM »
I have 40 acres and have placed my Davis Vantage VUE about 500' from my house.  (as can be seen by clicking on my banner) the signal undates constantly, realtime wind is there and I am getting a graph on my wind energy to see if a windmill would be worthwhile.  Although I have only had it for a month I am very happy with it.  My background is computer networking which included, back in the day, wire drops.  I could have cabled but it seems that the wireless system is comparable to a wired one.  and my mobilty is incredible.   I would not run cable over 1000' because of the signal loss at that distance.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
If you live in an area prone to lightning, I would recommend the wireless units, especially the Davis Vp2 or Vue.

With any cabled unit, there is always a risk of extensive damage especially to your PC.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:02:31 AM »
Wireless is the way to go. Makes placement much easier, quicker and less expensive. Also the lightning safety factor is a good feature too. At work I tested our Davis VPro2+ when it got installed and was able to go to 1200 feet with some signal loss to the console but it was line of sight.

anything