Author Topic: Can't fit three "C" batteries into Davis Vantage Pro2 console ...  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Ladd

If this wasn't so silly, I'd be embarrassed.

New Vantage Pro2. I have three "C" batteries (NiMh rechargable) and I can't get the third one to fit into the battery compartment on the console when the first two are in there. The batteries are definitely "C" in size, they are not bulging or showing other deformities, they fit in other devices that take "C" batteries, but they appear to be slightly too long and I can't push the first two back deep enough to get the third battery into the slot.

Short of actually purchasing new batteries, is there some double-secret trick to get the last battery into the compartment?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: Can't fit three "C" batteries into Davis Vantage Pro2 console ...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 03:49:17 PM »
A maybe guess.  Are you using the slot in the battery compartment for your finger to fit into and push the first two into the compartment?

Offline Ladd

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
A maybe guess.  Are you using the slot in the battery compartment for your finger to fit into and push the first two into the compartment?
I am! Thanks for the suggestion though. It occurs to me that perhaps there is some foreign object already in the slot. I looked before, but let's check thoroughly this time.

Offline Ladd

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »
Nope, nothing foreign in the battery compartment.

I did, however, finally get the third battery in using WAY more force that I would have thought necessary. I don't want to think of the possible troubles I'll have getting it back out, but hopefully that's far in the future.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »
on a side note, you don't want rechargable batteries in there, unless you are charging them elsewhere.   Now for the other problem.
There is a spring device that makes a tight fit.  so put in the two batteries which will fit. You need to put in the -  side (bottom ) OF the last battery (left side in first and then as you push it in, you need to push the rest to the right.  It fits. just wait until you want to remove them :)

Offline Ladd

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:53:36 PM »
on a side note, you don't want rechargable batteries in there, unless you are charging them elsewhere.

I do have an external charger, so I'm good there. Since I'm running the console off of the AC adapter, I'm hoping the batteries last long enough to be worth the trouble of taking them in an out. If not, I'll put something else in there.

You need to put in the -  side (bottom ) OF the last battery (left side in first and then as you push it in, you need to push the rest to the right.  It fits. just wait until you want to remove them :)
If I'm lucky, I'll remember to try that next time!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »
to get the batteries out I have used a flat head screw driver to push the top battery to the right an it will move back then use that to pop it out. batteries last at least six months to a year. not bad.

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »
I also have been using a flat head to get them out, they are "tight" in there no doubt.  Glad you got them in though.

CW3699

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 06:56:25 PM »
I have had the same batteries in mine for over two years and they are still full charge.  I keep the console on the power supply.   

I simply do not understand the problem.   

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 09:23:31 PM »
My console is on batteries because I have an Envoy that supplies data to the PC. I get between 8 months and a year on batteries. The nice thing is when I have guests over they like to pass the console around. I don't see the reason for rechargeables in the console.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:45:50 PM »
I can't believe you guys get up to a year with battery life. Maybe 4 months here.
This is a VP2. Never use the back light so that's not a drain. Can't understand why mine burn out so quick.

Offline Ladd

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 10:25:32 PM »
I don't see the reason for rechargeables in the console.
It was an easy call for me; rechargeable NiMh were the only "C" batteries I had in the house and they were just sitting in a drawer not doing anything.  :-)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
I can't believe you guys get up to a year with battery life. Maybe 4 months here.
This is a VP2. Never use the back light so that's not a drain. Can't understand why mine burn out so quick.
I think they use AC plug for main power supply. They should last several years when on AC main supply.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 11:04:20 PM »
IF your batteries are used up faster, check the ac adapter. I had one go bad and stop working. 

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 05:26:40 AM »
I think they use AC plug for main power supply. They should last several years when on AC main supply.
I think you're right. Mine runs solely on battery power. After a lightning strike took out my WM2  years ago I never use the AC adapter.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 05:36:02 AM »
I think you're right. Mine runs solely on battery power. After a lightning strike took out my WM2  years ago I never use the AC adapter.
Kind of figured that. Do what ever you feel comfortable with. Very understandable.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 08:17:13 AM »
I have my ac adapter plugged into my UPS, so I get a little bit of help when the power goes off and surge protection.

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
Increased opening
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 09:14:13 AM »
I have two VP2 consoles and use rechargeable batteries in both of them. After struggling to get the batteries out with real frustration, I finally took a pair of diagonal cutters to the plastic and opened up the escape route on the positive end a little.

I really do think the Davis design is flawed in this matter.

Offline Ladd

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »
OP here with an update:

Yesterday we started pulling out the Christmas decorations, including the wreath with LED lighting that we bought at the end-of-season sales last year. It takes three C batteries to operate and the only C batteries I had in the house were the NiMh rechargeables that I put in the Davis Vantage console. So I levered them out of the console with a screwdriver (the console normally runs off the AC adapter), put them in the wreath and my lovely bride was happy.

Picked up a 12-pack of Duracell C batteries at Costco today (having gone from one device using C batteries to three devices in the space of a week) and put three of them into the Davis console. They slipped right in with no trouble whatsoever.

Now I know that the rechargeable C batteries I had wedged in there a week ago ARE slightly larger than Duracell C batteries. It was news to me!

And as we have a multiple year supply of C batteries, everyone is happy.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
OP here with an update:

Yesterday we started pulling out the Christmas decorations, including the wreath with LED lighting that we bought at the end-of-season sales last year. It takes three C batteries to operate and the only C batteries I had in the house were the NiMh rechargeables that I put in the Davis Vantage console. So I levered them out of the console with a screwdriver (the console normally runs off the AC adapter), put them in the wreath and my lovely bride was happy.

Picked up a 12-pack of Duracell C batteries at Costco today (having gone from one device using C batteries to three devices in the space of a week) and put three of them into the Davis console. They slipped right in with no trouble whatsoever.

Now I know that the rechargeable C batteries I had wedged in there a week ago ARE slightly larger than Duracell C batteries. It was news to me!

And as we have a multiple year supply of C batteries, everyone is happy.

Most NiCD rechargeable C sized batteries are a little bigger than standard C alkaline batteries.  I found this out the hard way also.  C rechargeables are also used in the FARS part of the ISS.  I've had to replace those already and have had my Davis a little over 18 months now.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »
That is interesting.  The only rechargeable batteries I use is for the FARS station.  Next spring when the weather becomes reasonable, I plan on replacing the batteries at that time. It has been 2 years and perhaps taking the station down and doing that would be a great thing.  It is a pain in the tush to take the station down, fighting with the wires through that pathetic portal that the ISS uses for a cable run.  But I have a replacement fan in the closet Davis sent me, and I will buy the new rechargable batteries and charge them before installing them.

I buy batteries in bulk, from Battery Junction, particularly the CR123A's which locally are expensive. There I can get them for a dollar, I have 8 stations and I use surfire, they work fine.

Davis doesn't recommend using rechargeable batteries, and perhaps that is the reason, perhaps they are not the same size as the regular one.

I have one station, without a logger and I get almost a year just on the standard batteries.

Offline glcohen

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 03:54:01 PM »
If this wasn't so silly, I'd be embarrassed.

New Vantage Pro2. I have three "C" batteries (NiMh rechargable) and I can't get the third one to fit into the battery compartment on the console when the first two are in there. The batteries are definitely "C" in size, they are not bulging or showing other deformities, they fit in other devices that take "C" batteries, but they appear to be slightly too long and I can't push the first two back deep enough to get the third battery into the slot.

Short of actually purchasing new batteries, is there some double-secret trick to get the last battery into the compartment?

Offline glcohen

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 03:56:23 PM »
The reason for the difficulty is that C sized batteries have different lengths depending on the manufacturer.  Duracell C size batteries (which are 47.5mm long on their outer surface) fit OK but Energizer C batteries (which are 48mm long) do not. Both measurements exclude the +ve pip.  The first two batteries go in without problems but the third Energizer will not go in.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »
I got engerizer in mine with no problem. Here little trick   raid your  wife sewing  basket if the do that most don't now days and take an slip of  ribbon or bias tape  and put it  under the last battery. When you need to remove  just lift the battery out by the tape.  it saves prying it out.

John

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
The reason for the difficulty is that C sized batteries have different lengths depending on the manufacturer.  Duracell C size batteries (which are 47.5mm long on their outer surface) fit OK but Energizer C batteries (which are 48mm long) do not. Both measurements exclude the +ve pip.  The first two batteries go in without problems but the third Energizer will not go in.

An interesting answer to a question that was asked 2 years ago. - and the original question was about NiMh rechargeable batteries of no specified brand.

anything