Author Topic: Troubleshooting IP-100  (Read 2199 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Troubleshooting IP-100
« on: November 12, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
I have a Mk III that has been up and running and reporting data to Rainwise and WU since day one about a month ago, as well as to my Weather Oracle.  This afternoon my IP-100 stopped receiving data from the ISS (red light not flashing), and thus, I am not reporting to Rainwise.net,WU or PWS.  The Weather Oracle, which is twice as far away through twice as many walls, is receiving data fine.

I have rebooted and reset the IP-100, as well as checked all the connections to no avail.  The IP-100 and receiver module are literally less than 15 feet from the ISS though the ceiling.  I should also mention that the network light is on steady green and the yellow light flashes intermittently.

I think my next step is to try switching the receiver modules for the IP-100 and the WO.  Does anyone know if they are the same?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:53:32 PM by ggsteve »

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Troubleshooting IP-100
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »
I recommend you contact Wayne at Rainwise.

wayne.burnett@rainwise.com

Although the receivers look the same, I believe they are unique.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 04:24:12 PM »
I heard from Richie at Rainwise.  He said it is perfectly ok to swap the receivers and power supplies between the IP-100 and the Weather Oracle.  In fact he said that would be his next test.  I swapped them and the IP-100 immediately started working again, and all I get on the WO now is dashes except for time. 

I'm getting more and more wary of Rainwise quality.  They are still trying to figure out why some new Mk III's are flaking out (including mine) and now I have another hardware failure in less than a month of ownership.  If it didn't look so damned good up on the roof I might send it back!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:05:50 PM by ggsteve »

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 08:01:31 PM »
....so when does your replacement receiver arrive? :-|

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »
....so when does your replacement receiver arrive? :-|

I got home from work too late to speak to anyone from Rainwise.  I hope they can ship it tomorrow because apparently their shipping guy doesn't work Mondays.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »
Well, I finally got the replacement receiver on Saturday.  Apparently they are changing production vendors and they had a bad run of the receivers.  I had to wait an extra two weeks on the list they have to get mine replaced.  Weather Oracle is working fine again.

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:39:47 PM »
Interesting, I thought they were using Xbee's which only has one mfg Digi I think,  maybe its the supporting board the xbee goes into that they were having issues with... hehe guess I need to take things apart and peek

update inside picture of a cc-3000, xbee is in lower left corner
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:48:35 PM by wa6fwf »