Author Topic: Equipment listed from countries other than the USA  (Read 485 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Equipment listed from countries other than the USA
« on: January 16, 2021, 07:32:42 PM »
Unfortunately with a bit more time recently I've checked in on the eBay web site and looked for weather stuff.  Most isn't anything I could use, but over the last few weeks I've seen a curious thing, for me at least, that is a bunch of sophisticated pieces of sensors which are in India, Turkey or that general area.

Vaisala ceilometers for cloud height, visibility and current weather condition sensors, a bunch of integrated weather sensors and readouts.

What gives?  Sure, you see them listed from the USA, Europe and sometimes SA, but what seems odd is the countries most associated with (expensive) stuff are Turkey and India.

Are there raving enthusiasts there too? 

Unfortunately most of the pieces are many times more than my house and car payment put together and I don't  have to give any thought as to whether they are scam offerings or not.

But it is fun to see them and wonder how nice of a station I could put together with all that stuff!
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
Re: Equipment listed from countries other than the USA
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 04:33:30 AM »
I should answer as I live in istanbul turkey  :grin:

there are many hobbyists enthusiasts here but the stuff you mention is far beyond the reach of the hobbyists enthusiasts we simply dont have a disposable income and we pay a high import duty tax for anything imported . that said what you also see here is a large agricultural requirement for high end weather stations . here in turkey we are not dependent on imported produce or agriculture food we export not import so in recent years use of of high end industrial grade weather stations is in demand and can be widely seen in use to those with a trained eye..Vaisala , Davis have distribution here but only on a commercial level not consumer hence the prices .

for most hobbyists consumer enthusiasts even most Davis hardware is out of reach simply due to 30-35% import duty and a weak lira against the dollar , pound, euro which can change rapidly in a day .
a davis vp2+ costs aprox 11,000 lira now add 30-35% on top tomorrow it could easily increase by 400-500 lira based on exchange rate. average monthly income here is 3 to 5000 lira note average .

for commercial imports for companies obviously the tax relief is available but there is a high demand for tech here in turkey so we see a lot of high end stuff priced at commercial use .

dont know if any of that answers your question but contrary to what many still think being we ride camels  :-) and use horses for transport is so far beyond reality..

have a good day brian..

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Equipment listed from countries other than the USA
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 07:52:10 AM »
Brian,
That is an amazing answer.  Your explanation of both the fact there are weather enthusiasts but also a different situation entirely for the economy and import duties affecting the decisions on how to spend your money comes into the consideration.

Yes, you helped answer the question but I guess I'm still curious as to why there is so much high end stuff (Vaisala) when not so much is available here where people and governments spend on this stuff (airports, road monitors, etc) but it never seems to come to market for resale.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer and you've shown just how far reaching the weather hobby is, and there are members on this forum from all over the world.

Thanks again.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php