Author Topic: New Stuff - Ecowitt Has the Newest Fine Offset Hardware  (Read 58435 times)

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
Re: New Stuff - Ecowitt Has the Newest Fine Offset Hardware
« Reply #400 on: October 02, 2019, 07:37:06 AM »
Does it not seem odd that it's only the anemometer being affected when I am in the room? And that it has only just started happening? The only thing I can think of, is that the recent update has done something.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #401 on: October 02, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »
I will admit the reception issues you are experiencing are indeed extreme, and yes some of the issues may in actuality be software and not true radio issues. Why your physical presence is causing an issue is surprising and does sound classic radio propagation related though and I cannot see how software can code for that! The human body does cause a field effect to radio devices but I simply would not expect it on these weather stations unless something more extreme was influencing the radio.

I assume that you don't have normal broadcast radio reception issues in your house. All normal?
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #402 on: October 02, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »
Does it not seem odd that it's only the anemometer being affected when I am in the room? And that it has only just started happening? The only thing I can think of, is that the recent update has done something.

Agree the behavior is really odd. Why are you impacting the readings? Why just the one sensor? Very strange! Not sure how software would be impacted by you being present or not. Definitely sounds like a signal problem. The software change might have reset some threshold value in the program, but likely the underlying problem was there before.

While I am not an electrical engineer, I have worked with communication radio installs on vehicles and in the field as well as wifi setups in homes and offices. The shadow effects others have suggested is the usual suspect. I have seen people's body's directionally impact 2m signals, for example. Ditto on building structures and even glass. I am assuming each of the sensors are in different directions from the console. Might want to key in on what is directly between the anemometer and the console. Building materials? Wiring?

Do you have any medical devices implanted? Pins, pacemaker, joint replacements, etc.? Wireless hearing aids? VERY long shot on those items but possible sources of interference. Do you wear a smart watch of some sort? I have seen faulty phones impact signals.

I DO have a long history with electronic manufacturing, especially Asian outsourcing. (Twenty plus years in Silicon Valley, including stints at Palm, 3Com, Cisco.) One of the trade-offs when going with lower cost units like these Ecowitt's is that design, component quality, and assembly, to some degree, has to be less. "You get what you pay for." The units could be picking up problems that your Davis setup would just shrug off. That is NOT to say these are shoddy units. It is a cost trade-off. Just like buying a Chevy versus a BMW (or whatever the UK version of that analogy is!).

One other suggestion. It is not a high sensitivity solution, but Netgear makes a phone app called WiFi Analytics. It has proven helpful to me in finding dead spots. It has a record function and allows you to save and track different locations. You could set the phone out in various locations around the sensor and around the console. I am thinking of an arc around each, with maybe three or four placements. Place the phone, record for a while, walk into the room and hang out. See what changes. See if it gives you any insights of what is messing with the signal.

Hopefully Lucy and the team will get this resolved for you. They have been amazingly responsive. Best of luck on resolving this!
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Ecowitt 3501 | Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge/WeatherBridge
AmbientWeather.net
PWSweather: KMTSTEVE24
https://casskalinski.slickpic.com

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #403 on: October 02, 2019, 12:40:31 PM »
I think I have mentioned DECT phones before, but other noise sources can be domestic light dimmer switches, cheap switched Power supplies, CFC light bulbs and some LED bulbs.
Anything like these within a reasonable distance of your console can cause reception issues and ghosting effects when you walk in and nearby.

The reason the Davis does not suffer from this is that they have a much more sophisticated frequency hopping system that attempts to defeat noise jamming. This is similar to the techniques the military use to keep radio systems working in adverse conditions.

I think Ecowitt do realise this is an area to improve as the new WS-80 array seems to be shouting loud and clear in my test system and I understand has twice the range of previous sensor arrays in terms of transmission capability. I can certainly attest to that and have not seen anything less than full reception no matter how hard I have tried to upset the console with nearby phones or Bluetooth devices.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #404 on: October 02, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
More evidence..

I decided to do a factory reset, so i'm stood about a foot away from it whilst pressing buttons. I stayed in the same place until I set it back up and took this picture:

https://postimg.cc/bZkQzTPx

I went and sat down around 7 feet away, and within a minute:

https://postimg.cc/4HY9jvwh

Honestly.. I have never encountered problems with weather stations like this before, and i've owned a lot!

The RF signal is appalling. 300' line of sight? I can barely pick up the soil moisture sensor at 20' line of sight.

It wouldn't surprise if the problem was the 433MHz RF. I'm not sure why I didn't ask for 868Mhz?!

I'm going to move away from this, now. It's too much hassle for me. As I mentioned elsewhere, I have been severely stung for customs charges on replacement items. I'm not going to pay excessive tax on replacements as it's costing me more than what the items are worth. All told, I have paid out nearly enough for a new Davis VP2.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:43:08 PM by Mapantz »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #405 on: October 02, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »
Not sure why you haven't taken it off the wall yet like I suggested.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #406 on: October 02, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »
All told, I have paid out nearly enough for a new Davis VP2.
The post I see time and time and time again how folks buy a PWS only to find that sticking the array (or whatever) the length of a 50' garden hose away causes this much grief is absolutely astonishing. Call Davis ancient, or whatever you want, but at least you'll KNOW if you've got bad data or not. :roll:

Offline _John C

• Contributor
« Reply #407 on: October 03, 2019, 11:19:36 AM »
Ive got the HP2551(with the 2 arm sensor array with bird spikes)  with 5 extra temp/hum sensors and  a GW1000 all with 433MHz RF on order that might be shipped next week.I picked 433MHz because ive got 20 other devices in the house that use 868MHz. Ill post here if I have problems with my 433MHz kit. Hopefully not as Ive run the Maplin branded WS1000/WS1001 on 433MHz for the past 4 and a half years without any RF problems.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:40:51 AM by _John C »
Ecowitt GW1000CA x2,   HP2551CA,   WH65 Outdoor 7in1 2 arm array,  WH32B Indoor Temp/Hum/Baro, WH45 Co2/PM2.5/PM10,  WH41 PM2.5,   WH57 Lightning Detector,   WH31 Temp/Hum x8,  WN34L Liquid Temp x2,  WN34S Soil Temp x1, WH51 Soil Moisture x8,   WH55 Water Leak x4,   Meteobridge (TL-WR902AC v3),   Da9L PWT x2, Home Assistant Integration

Offline griffo42

• Contributor
    • Carina Weather
« Reply #408 on: October 03, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »
I use Davis VantageVue with Cumulus producing my website using Ken’s excellent Saratoga scripts.  My VantageVue is on its way out an am considering replacing it.  I have seen the Ecowitt hardware referred to on this forum and a number applaud it.  As I don’t want to go away from the software that I am using, could I have some advice regarding the use of Ecowitt hardware to achieve the same or similar result that I am achieving now.

Thanks

Keith
https://www.kstwx.net/index.php
Davis Vantage Pro2 Model #6152AU
Cumulus latest version
Saratoga Weather World template Cumulus plugin
Carina Weather, Brisbane.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #409 on: October 04, 2019, 06:37:09 AM »
At the moment you cannot easily use Cumulus with the new generation of Fine Offset weather stations (ie Ambient/Ecowitt etc) since they are IP only.

However I have started some work with Ecowitt and Mark Crossley who is leading the Cumulus MX software these days.
This will be based around the GW-1000 and the currently unpublished API. The outcome we hope is that Mark will be able to code Cumulus MX to read the live data from the GW-1000.
This is right at the start of the journey so I have no idea how long it will take Mark to look at the coding. Indeed the GW-1000 is only planned to be shipped to him in the next few weeks.
This approach is similar to that recently undertaken with Meteobridge and WeatherDisplay.

The HP2551 console as lovely as it is to look at does not have an API nor can be addressed via IP so will likely never have the capability. The GW-1000 on the other hand is incredibly versatile and can just about see and record all the modern sensors available from Ecowitt/Fine Offsett.

So if you are going to buy a new Fine Offset based station, then add a gw-1000 to the mix (an extra $50) to future proof yourself or if you don't care about having a visible console on show get the GW-1001 which is the GW-1000 and just the sensors to make a complete station.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline PeterH

« Reply #410 on: October 05, 2019, 07:08:26 AM »
I contacted Ecowitt via e-mail. I asked if I could order some instruments.

But untill now I still haven't got a reply.
How does it normally take?

Offline _John C

• Contributor
« Reply #411 on: October 05, 2019, 07:36:39 AM »
They are quick at replying. Lucy is really helpful. Your not getting a reply as at the moment there on holidays. 1/10/19 - 7/10/19. There back next week.
Ecowitt GW1000CA x2,   HP2551CA,   WH65 Outdoor 7in1 2 arm array,  WH32B Indoor Temp/Hum/Baro, WH45 Co2/PM2.5/PM10,  WH41 PM2.5,   WH57 Lightning Detector,   WH31 Temp/Hum x8,  WN34L Liquid Temp x2,  WN34S Soil Temp x1, WH51 Soil Moisture x8,   WH55 Water Leak x4,   Meteobridge (TL-WR902AC v3),   Da9L PWT x2, Home Assistant Integration

Offline PeterH

« Reply #412 on: October 05, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
They are quick at replying. Lucy is really helpful. Your not getting a reply as at the moment there on holidays. 1/10/19 - 7/10/19. There back next week.

Thank you. I didn't know that  [tup]

I have the Ambient WS-2000 now. But it's verry difficult to get the add ons over here in Europe. Only via Amazon.

That's why I'm interested in Ecowitt.  :grin:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 12:53:04 PM by PeterH »

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #413 on: October 05, 2019, 01:18:17 PM »
If you have the US spec ambient WS2000 station you might find that it wont see the Ecowitt sensors on the same frequency.
Galfert can advise more on the situation as I think they have a slightly customised firmware to key only ambient purchased sensors to the console.
To get around that you can always purchase more Ambient branded stuff via Amazon.com as they will ship to Europe.
Or....if you are not bothered about Ambient.net you could try flashing a standard ecowitt.net firmware to the console.
But I am not aware of anyone trying it so I cannot be sure it will work although you could ask Lucy at Ecowitt if its possible in order to be able to use their ecowitt sensors.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline PeterH

« Reply #414 on: October 05, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
Yes I have the US spec WS-2000. I was a little worried about the frequency it uses. But it's running for almost a year now without any troubles.

I thought about giving the WS-2000 to my father. He likes the station verry much.

So I could order a complete set at Ecowitt including the PM 2.5 monitor, a new 7 inch display, and a raingauge.

I saw their new anemometer. The ultrasonic one. Is it available also?  If not, I would purchase the WS-68.
And ofcorse the USB gateway.

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #415 on: October 05, 2019, 01:44:04 PM »
I'm open to correction but I'm fairly certain the ultrasonic sensor is still under beta testing at the moment.  I'm sure Galfert or Mauro will be able to provide more detail.

Offline _John C

• Contributor
« Reply #416 on: October 05, 2019, 02:06:24 PM »
Yes. Id rather stick with the old cups for now.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #417 on: October 05, 2019, 05:56:25 PM »
Yes Ecowitt sensors will not work with the Ambient WS-2000.
But the other way around (Ecowitt console with Ambient sensors) does work.

I would recommend caution on the ultrasonic anny. Both Ecowitt and Ambient have it as a beta product and you can read about it from other users that are testing. For now I would choose to go with a WS68 instead (or all-in-one Osprey type).

I have not heard if it is possible to run Ecowitt firmware on the WS-2000. Remember there are two firmware that run on the WS-2000. There is the Revision Firmware (SD card slot upgrade process) and there is the WiFi Firmware which is only possible to go forward in versions and that is done by the awnet app for Ambient. The awnet app is like the WS View app but they are mutually exclusive for the brands they support. Therefore I suspect that it could be something that is not possible. But you never know. I'm not about to try and risk bricking my WS-2000.

Also don't call the GW1000 a USB gateway. The USB port has no data connectivity, it is solely for power. It isn't a USB device. Therefore a better description is WiFi gateway.

I have a WS-2000 display but I'm not that bothered that extra Ecowitt sensors don't show up on the display. Since I have a GW1000 then they show up on it and get uploaded to Ecowitt.net. They also show up on my Meteobridge and Weather Display via the GW1000. So I can have both Ecowitt.net and Ambientweather.net (without extras*). But with a Meteobridge plus Ambientweather.net license then extra Ecowitt sensors can make their way to Ambientweather.net instead of using the WS-2000 disolay. Sure it would be nice to see them on the WS-2000 but it isn't like I could have planned it better since I had WS-2000 before Ecowitt became available for sale. If I could do it over yes I'd go with everything Ecowitt then add Meteobridge with Ambientweather.net license and you get the latest and everything works. We'll all I need an HP2551 display and I'd be set.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 06:00:36 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #418 on: October 06, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
The WH-80/WS-80 Ultra-sonic array is still in beta testing and I don't have a date for its retail via Ecowitt, though given that Ambient are looking to sell it as a Beta I should imagine it wont be long before Ecowitt make it available to purchase.

I am still very much impressed with the sensor and have nothing bad to say about it.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #419 on: October 06, 2019, 03:44:39 PM »
WS80 is on beta for now, a lot of improvements was made after his first prototype, and some are now in progress,  but I think Ecowitt will be ready for to publish on his site ASAP

about his performances ws80 is a very good project, the better for me at the moment, obviously in mid level, my comparision against a professional Barani Meteoshield standard solar radiation screen, have shown a tendency to overestimate the temperatures with high solar radiation and poor natural ventilation, what I would say obvious due the dimension of the solar radiation shield
Obviously the same problem, but in this case is an underestimation about night temperatures with clear sky
otherwise no problem  ;)

Mauro

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:46:30 PM by mauro63 »

Offline PeterH

« Reply #420 on: October 07, 2019, 04:58:15 AM »
Thanks for the information guys.
Clear explanation. I think I'll stick to the normal windcups untill the new ultrasonic comes for sale.

First I have to wait untill I get reaction from Ecowitt.  [tup]

Offline mark014

• Weather conditions in Ślesin (Poland)
« Reply #421 on: October 08, 2019, 06:17:15 AM »

Found the review video very useful, thank you. Question...what brand/model radiation shield did you use?

I'm glad you liked the video. The radiation shield was made by TFA Dostmann. I bought it from a Polish distributor, but it's a German brand, here: https://sklep.emd.net.pl/oslona-czujnika-stacji-meteorologicznej-tfa-p-2501.html
Model: 98.1114.02

I have Wireless Multi-channel Thermometer and Hygrometer Sensor, Model: WH31. It operates at 868 MHz and I tested how far I can mount it to still keep the communication with a console or GW1000. I walked away 200 meters with the sensor in the open field and still saw that the console was receiving the signal. I was impressed.

At the weekend, the WS-View software for the HP3501 console was automatically updated. A new element in the Customized section is the ability to enter the path for the data file sent to the server.
This means that I no longer need a GW-1000 gateway to publish data from additional sensors. Currently, in GW-1000 wifi gateway I upload a .json data file in Ecowitt format, and thanks to plugin and blocks by Raffaello di Martino for Meteotemplate I publish data from WH-31 (temperature and humidity at 5 cm), PM2.5 sensor as well as soil moisture sensor on my website: http://pogodaslesin.bo.pl/.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:19:46 AM by mark014 »

Offline Lucy

• Contributor
« Reply #422 on: October 08, 2019, 09:12:57 AM »
More evidence..

I decided to do a factory reset, so i'm stood about a foot away from it whilst pressing buttons. I stayed in the same place until I set it back up and took this picture:

https://postimg.cc/bZkQzTPx

I went and sat down around 7 feet away, and within a minute:

https://postimg.cc/4HY9jvwh

Honestly.. I have never encountered problems with weather stations like this before, and i've owned a lot!

The RF signal is appalling. 300' line of sight? I can barely pick up the soil moisture sensor at 20' line of sight.

It wouldn't surprise if the problem was the 433MHz RF. I'm not sure why I didn't ask for 868Mhz?!

I'm going to move away from this, now. It's too much hassle for me. As I mentioned elsewhere, I have been severely stung for customs charges on replacement items. I'm not going to pay excessive tax on replacements as it's costing me more than what the items are worth. All told, I have paid out nearly enough for a new Davis VP2.

Hi Mapantz,

We're really sorry for all the inconvenience cause.
We can understand that you must be very frustrated about the whole thing.
Please accept our sincere apology.
As we promised, we'll be responsible for your issues all the time.
Our engineer is working on your issue and trying to find out a solution to solve your issue now.

May I know have you updated the HP2551 console firmware by using the file we sent to you on September 11?
If not, you can try with this(if you're willing to):
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Please don't worry, if we could not solve your issue, we can refund your payment to show our apology.
As for the tax for the replacements you paid, we're really sorry about that. We should have added some notes on the parcel to avoid the tax.

In addition, is it possible for you to try some sensors with the 868MHz? We can check whether it's the RF frequency issue.
Please let us know your thought.

Best Regards,
Lucy

Ecowitt Weather Instruments at: http://www.ecowitt.com/
FB: @ecowittsupport
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ecowittweather
Email: support@ecowitt.com

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #423 on: October 08, 2019, 10:32:12 AM »
I found your station by typing Dorset on the map.
My GW1000 also lost connection to the sensor today for four hours.
I don't know what could be the reason.
My sensor is 213 feet away.

Hi Krojan,

Sorry to see that. The RF signal might be interrupted by something.
Please keep observe the data. If it happens again, please let us know at supprt@ecowitt.com.

P.S. Please note that we're having our National Day holiday week from tomorrow till October 7th.
We'll reply your further messages after that.
Hope you can understand that.
Thank you.

Best Regards,
Lucy
In my case, the reason for the interruption in data reception was depleted batteries in WH24.

Sorry for my English.
GW1000, HP2551-C, HP3001, HP1001.

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #424 on: October 08, 2019, 10:48:41 AM »
I have Wireless Multi-channel Thermometer and Hygrometer Sensor, Model: WH31. It operates at 868 MHz and I tested how far I can mount it to still keep the communication with a console or GW1000. I walked away 200 meters with the sensor in the open field and still saw that the console was receiving the signal. I was impressed.
How long did you have the WH31 sensor at 200m (656ft) from the console. I noticed that GW1000 can show data up to 15 minutes after losing connection, and HP2551 up to 60 minutes.
Sorry for my English.
GW1000, HP2551-C, HP3001, HP1001.

anything