Author Topic: Need some suggestions  (Read 3212 times)

Offline UpstateWeather.com

• Signature
  • Contributor
    • Upstate Weather
Need some suggestions
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:21:59 AM »
Hey-

I am a complete newbee to the whole weather station thing. I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to get into this and buy one. What I really want is a Davis system with a boltek lightning detector. This combination is of course very expensive, and I just don't want to spend that much money right now.

I've been looking at building a 1-wire system with lightning detection. I guess my question is this: should I bother spending the money on the 1-wire system? Will I out grow that soon and thus should I save up for the Davis/Boltek combination? Or is the 1-wire system close enough? I want the ability to upload data to the web via weather display and I know that WD works with both, so that's not an issue there.

Thought I would ask the experts.....

Thanks!
Eric

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
Re: Need some suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 07:47:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum Eric.

Personally, if I were in the same position as you, I would save my coin to buy the Davis & Boltek. Since that's what you really want (good choice by the way), nothing else is going to cut it until you get those in your hands.

Bob

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: Need some suggestions
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:02:37 AM »
Been using an OS WMR-968 for aprox 6+ years now with minimal problems. Hope to have the money next month for me a Davis. IF all else fails get the station now and the lightning detector later. From everything I've read about the Davis. I don't think you will be disapointed.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE