Author Topic: Weather Underground Issues and Bug Tracking - Check here before posting  (Read 18537 times)

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
Fun fact... The date was April 11th, when WU  posted  here that they were working on the decimal precision, and that it would probably take "A COUPLE OF WEEKS " . I'm sure we can all do the math.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline mdv

Another little niggling issue I have just noticed concerning my PWS icon in the Dashboard map: at the default zoom, the icon temperature + wind values match the numerical values in the current conditions table, but when I zoom out a couple of steps, the map icon data values change ( by 3 deg C and 90 deg wind direction) - why? The altered values appear to match the numerical values of a time some 40 minutes previous.

Curious.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:36:06 AM by mdv »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Another little niggling issue I have just noticed concerning my PWS icon in the Dashboard map: at the default zoom, the icon temperature + wind values match the numerical values in the current conditions table, but when I zoom out a couple of steps, the map icon data values change ( by 3 deg C and 90 deg wind direction) - why? The altered values appear to match the numerical values of a time some 40 minutes previous.

Curious.

Interesting observation. Maybe this is deliberate and by design. Perhaps from a technical perspective refreshing just a few stations while zoomed in is feasible and at a zoomed out level with more stations the process changes where you no long poll all the stations but instead what happens is you end up viewing a more static map that was updated on a certain schedule. So is this a true error, or a function of design constraints with system performance in mind?

A contrasting experience with MetOffice WOW where every station shows up on the map at every zoom level and they all seem to be live is a poor experience where zooming and map panning is aggravating. Somewhat tolerable on a desktop system but completely unusable on a mobile. Just head over to WOW and go to the UK part of the map where the map is most crowded to see what I'm talking about.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
The concept of Goldstars is absent from both the new platform and old platform. The end?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
The concept of Goldstars is absent from both the new platform and old platform. The end?

No, Gold Stars are still there but they are unreliable. I currently see the Gold Star on my Old and New WU dashboards, and also in the My Devices page. I have noticed that the Gold Star will sometimes disappear with no reason only to come back a few days later and I can see that my station is functioning perfectly. The problem is with WU as usual.
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
The Goldstar concept has been unreliable for months, if not years. Under “manage devices” there is no longer a place for “quality.”

UPDATE, 6 hours later. One of my stations has a goldstar and the “quality” column is back under “manage devices.”  This is very weird to say the least.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:54:42 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Th Goldstar concept has been unreliable for months, if not years. Under “manage devices” there is no longer a place for “quality”. See attached screenshot.

Yes I've seen that where the column for "Quality" disappears. Then it comes back. This has happened to me several times since the new site launched. As you can see from my screenshot, I still have it. But I didn't have it last week.

**  By the way you should take down that screen shot with your station key visible !!!! ***

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Here we are a month after I started this thread and my Trello issue tracker. Nothing has been fixed. I was really hoping to start crossing things off the list and moving them to the resolved fixed column.

When WU left this forum I think they left not because they couldn't stand the heat in the kitchen. I think they left because they felt their work here was done. Why do they need to listen to feedback if they aren't going to do anything about it? That was a calculated ploy on their part. Prove me wrong WU.....fix something!

We never expected quick turn around of fixes. Sure some of the issues are incredulous that they even exist, but still we stand around with pitch forks and torches just waiting...and complaining a lot...as you would expect. It really says something about the company not just about how the new website was rolled out but now that it has been out for 3 months how poorly the lack of fixes has been handled (or lack of). Thank you WU for the Rapidfire return and the Current Conditions box early on but is that it? Nothing more now for months? The lack of decimals and the poor rounding are inexcusable and they can't be that difficult to fix.

Well seems like there is nothing to do here. What a boring thread this turned out to be, as boring as my Trello creation with no action. The one positive thing I've noticed is that I think my Trello board and this thread have cut down on the repeated new users coming in and complaining about the same known issues. Now new users to the forum can be better informed and we are less annoyed by not needing to answer the same questions over and over.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 03:02:16 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
Boils down to a lack of trust in their entire organization.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Considering that the WU website continues to deteriorate, my guess is that they have decided to pull the plug and wunderground.com will redirect to weather.com by the end of the year.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
Then again, maybe they really did abandon this site and began new ground-up development away from this mess.  Time will tell.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Then again, maybe they really did abandon this site and began new ground-up development away from this mess.  Time will tell.
I can assure you they didn't.  IBM has been consolidating all of the weather-related companies it has purchased under its "The Weather Company" banner.  Their retail development efforts are at weather.com, and everything else is "big data", Watson-oriented and big bucks.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
Classic mobile radar responds poorly or not at all. Please resolve.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

Got it.
https://trello.com/c/AG2QlrrK
Tele-Pole

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
Thank you. Is there anyway to know if the issue was addressed?

Got it.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Thank you. Is there anyway to know if the issue was addressed?

Got it.

No there isn't a way to know what Weather Underground is doing nor planning in regards to any issues. Weather Underground a few months ago pulled out of communicating with us weather enthusiasts, hobbyists, and professionals. Weather Underground shortly after the launch of the new website when they were still active on this forum said that they would address and fix the issues like missing decimals and rounding and camera issues and such. But here we are months later and they haven't fix anything (other than rapidfire and a Summary box) ....and they are no longer talking to us. They bailed out because they said too many people on this forum were being rude and obnoxious to them regarding all the issues and the state of WU. The way I see it, WU for whatever reason can't deliver a properly working site back then, now nor in the immediate future. They know this and so they bailed on us and provided the excuse that we were not being nice. They were immature, not professional and certainly not candid.

I started this thread to track issues as a way for us to keep track of what is broken and what gets fixed without the need of WU involvement. If an issue is fixed then I notice it or some other user posts here and after I check it out, then I move it to the fixed column. A big reason for this thread and Trello site was to cut down on the repeated questions people were having, where people often don't know if the problem they see is on their end for their station only or if it was a universal issue. It also helps people see how long an issue has been going on since discovered. I think this aspect has been a success.

I had hoped that this issue tracking would bring WU back. They would gain feedback to the issues we were having and learn of our wishes and they could provide resolution time frames or alternative solutions or indicate if a particular issue was working as designed and so it won't change. I'm still hopeful.

I also think WU doesn't live in the dark. Even though they won't yet publicly acknowledge this thread and the Trello site, they just have to have seen it. They could be reading this forum right now with new unknown identities. So I think it is important for them to know what we want fixed. Back when WU was still in speaking terms with us I asked them to track these issues and provide a way for us to know what was broken and what was being worked on and they said no because it was too much effort on their part to offer this information. So I created the Trello site and did it myself.

It is truly amazing to me that the new WU site was supposed to fix all the issues of the old site because it was running on old servers and peiced together with old code much that was not documented and key people that developed the code had left the company. So the new site was supposed to alleviate many issues. But the new site is now running and from a user perspective I think it's worse.

We don't know what the company vision is. We don't know what the company working atmosphere is like. We don't know what upper management is thinking and how their vision aligns with our vision of what WU should be like. Because of all this it is only human nature to try and fill in the void of information and think the worst base on the poor track record of so many things. The poor rollout of the new site. Before the rollout the sorry state of WU and how it continued to lose features as time went on. WU may not like all the bashing and criticism but they really aren't providing a good experience. We should all realize that we aren't the customer. We are the product that provides free data. WU (IBM) has so much data from so many stations that perhaps if they upset a few people it is not seen as a great loss. Nothing else makes sense.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:08:24 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Well stated galfert. Honest and fair assessment.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
I am happy to report that WU has its sun and moon widget up and running again after being down for a couple of weeks.  I use it on my website.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
I am happy to report that WU has its sun and moon widget up and running again after being down for a couple of weeks.  I use it on my website.

Don’t tear down the goalposts quite yet. WU has a recent history of fixing things only to “unfix it” in the next few hours or days. Let’s hope that doesn’t include the widget in question! For example, the concept of “goldstar” assigned to pws is fixed, then it isn’t, then it is fixed for some but not other pws owners. This has happened numerous times over the last several months.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:51:34 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

Glad it is working. Let us know if it breaks again. This wasn't an issue we were tracking (nobody submitted it...I didn't know about it either).
Tele-Pole

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
Actually, I did report it on June 21, but in a different thread, and realized that later.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36609.msg383565#msg383565

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX

Where would I find the code for this?  I looked on the PWS WIDGET tab for my station and this one isn't listed.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
One step forward, two steps back.  Although I really don't know what step forward broke this.

Fahrenheit temperatures erratically displayed in Celsius.  Really?  They don't even know what units are which?

It is currently 87°F here:

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
One step forward, two steps back.  Although I really don't know what step forward broke this.

Fahrenheit temperatures erratically displayed in Celsius.  Really?  They don't even know what units are which?
LOL, I saw that too, but figured it was the new norm. Besides, America has been hinting at moving to the metric system for decades, maybe WU is back on the that agenda.

Offline Reldel

This could undermine global warming trends, perhaps a cheaper solution :grin:.

anything