Author Topic: Chili Earthquake shifts Earths figureaxis 3 inches?????  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Chili Earthquake shifts Earths figureaxis 3 inches?????
« on: March 11, 2010, 05:47:29 PM »
   Here is a interesting aritcle from NASA reporting that the Earth's figure-axis may have shifted 3" as a result of the Chili earthquake :shock:.  They will use GPS to prove it. 8-)
   http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2010/11mar_figureaxis.htm?list115829

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Re: Chili Earthquake shifts Earths figureaxis 3 inches?????
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
Hey, as long as I keep waking up each day and there is breath in my body, won't make a diff.....   \:D/

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »
   I agree.  I hate to say this but.... it really isn't earth shaking :roll: #-o ](*,)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:27:58 AM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:37:48 PM »
They also say the city of Concepcion moved 10 feet West during the event.   :shock:

I shutter to think what a shift like that would do to the underground cross country NG and fuel pipelines that run through my area.  The 42" REX NG line is only about 3/4 mile away to my North.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 11:47:42 PM »
They also say the city of Concepcion moved 10 feet West during the event.   :shock:

I shutter to think what a shift like that would do to the underground cross country NG and fuel pipelines that run through my area.  The 42" REX NG line is only about 3/4 mile away to my North.

And, how about the sewer lines too?...  :shock:

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:09:17 AM »

And, how about the sewer lines too?...  :shock:

I used an outhouse on the grandparents farm when I was a youngster.  I suppose I could relearn the skill.   ;)

Yes, definitely puts all underground and above ground utilities in jeopardy.  Scary thought to me is not so much the lack of the utilities but the public's response to it over an area that could be hundreds if not thousands of square miles.  It's one thing to watch it happen on TV.  But you never really know how the neighbors and other locals would react to something like that until it comes to ones own backyard. 
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:32:20 AM »
I've lived through two significant quakes while in California.

The first was the quake in '71 just north of the Los Angeles area. That was very freaky because everyone thought it was the end of the world as it was happening. No injuries buts lots of cracks in our apartment house as well as many things coming off the walls and tables, etc. Minor loss of possessions but nothing major.

The second one was the Loma Prieta quake in '89 south of San Francisco that millions around the world watched as it happened on TV during the world series. I was at work at the time and all of the ceiling tiles and overhead lights all came down on top of me. Fortunately I had time to get beside my desk just as everything began to fall around me. No major damage to the structure but power was out for several days. Lost some stuff at home but nothing significant. One really feels very helpless during the event because you literally can't do anything but hang on and hope something doesn't hit you in the head or fall and crush you.

One thing we were taught at work was to NEVER get under a desk or table but to get down low BETWEEN office furniture such as desks, file cabinets, tables, etc. Getting under something is just asking to be crushed. There is more space to survive in between things than under them should the ceiling cave in or the floor above collapse. The same goes if you are at home when a quake hits. Quickly get between something but not under it. And, of course, stay away from windows and glass doorways which can literally explode from sideway pressures on the framing.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:33:52 AM »
   Wow.  I didn't think about all the underground pipes ect.    And, I was wondering how large a shift in the figure-axis would have to be before it really impacted us in a bad way? 8-[

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:38:16 AM »
Wait until the New Madrid fault lets go and you may find out the answers to your questions...

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:43:57 AM »
Wait until the New Madrid fault lets go and you may find out the answers to your questions...
    That will be a biggie for sure if it goes like the last 3.  Yikes!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:58:07 AM »

I'm sure they performed seismic studies and such before laying the pipes.   :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 01:33:01 AM »
They also say the city of Concepcion moved 10 feet West during the event.   :shock:

I shutter to think what a shift like that would do to the underground cross country NG and fuel pipelines that run through my area.  The 42" REX NG line is only about 3/4 mile away to my North.

I'm sure they performed seismic studies and such before laying the pipes.   :roll:

I'm sure they also performed plenty of inspections on the welds while building it too.  But there has already been one rupture.  

http://kindermorganwatch.org/node/145

http://kindermorganwatch.org/node/149

There's also a metering station and tap off for the local gas company with plenty of above ground plumbing at the location North of me.  They closed off the area when nitrogen pressure testing that for a day.  ( I stopped and asked the employee at the road block if they had sprung a gas leak.  His response was something along the lines of he would not be standing there if they did.   :lol:  Then he told me what they were doing. )  A couple months later I heard a very loud hissing sound when I went out to go to work.  Curious I drove up through there thinking I probably should call somebody if no workers were around.   :lol:  They must have been blowing the condensation out of the lines that day in preparation for re-pressurizing the station after the earlier leak noted in the links above.  A truck and a couple guys were standing by a valve watching a 50' plumb of vapor shoot into the air.  They were not running so I was not worried then.   :lol:

I don't trust anything man made too far when it comes to natural causes trying to break it.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 01:38:05 AM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark