Author Topic: New Radar Software  (Read 10172 times)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: New Radar Software
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 11:50:47 PM »
I'm running GRL3 with a monthly Allison House subscription of $10.00 mainly for lightning and the storm reports.  I'm pretty happy with it.  I'm only using a small fraction of the combo's true capabilities. 
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 08:07:08 AM »
Radar normally runs in one of two modes, either clear air or storm. It takes the radar aprox 6 minutes to make a sweep. So in storm mode. The radar images we see are normally updated aprox ever 6 minutes. In clear air mode it is sometimes less often.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 10:37:20 PM »
   I am shopping around looking at different radar packages.  Has anyone tried
"Storm Predator"?  Price seems good.  Also has anyone tried the Accuweather Radar Plus?  I think one is $6.99  and another $7.95.
                          Thanks for any input,    Mark :-k

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 10:55:10 PM »
   I am shopping around looking at different radar packages.  Has anyone tried
"Storm Predator"?  Price seems good.  Also has anyone tried the Accuweather Radar Plus?  I think one is $6.99  and another $7.95.
                          Thanks for any input,    Mark :-k

I believe Storm Predator is $39.99.

You can try most radar programs on a trial basis. I strongly recommend that you do so before making any decisions. Make sure you give yourself time to play with them. GRLevelX, for example, has only a 14 day trial period--that 14 days goes by quickly. Try to use them when you have time to really tinker with them, particularly when storms are around.

I have GRLevel3. It has many features, one of which is that you can use it on more than one computer (no extra user license required). That was a big selling point for me, as I have it on my laptop and on my desktop. Also, although you don't need to subscribe to a service to use it, there are great subscription services available for GRLevelX.

As I said, try them first. Check out their own forums if they have one. Don't buy one out of impatience or excitement and then be disappointed later.

Also realize that there is an art to radar interpretation. It takes time and study to learn how to read them.

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 11:06:03 PM »
Hey Kevin,
   I totally agree.  I tried Weather Defender but the $20/month was a shot in the head for me.  I am planning on trying the Storm Predator.  I like the one time payment of $39.99 ($49.99 for the CD). Anybody that has a trial period I am going to try.  Most of them have appeared in this thread.  I respect everyone here so I want to hear some opinions even before I try the free trials. I might get tipped off to a problem that might sneak by me otherwise.  Seems like there are quite a few fans of GRLevel3 out there so it is going to be high on my list.
                         Thank for your time,   M =D>ark

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 11:34:09 AM »
If you are using radar for novelty, glancing and not very into the radar images, than go with the free stuff (wunderground is prob the best amongst the free radars that I've seen). If you using radar software for more in depth use, want customizable data, and are more serious about radar imagery, its a no brainer to go with GrLevelX software. Its a one-time fee of $79 dollars and gives you a ton of info. I'm pretty sure you can put the radar imagery onto a website. The GrLevel3 is the most basic info. For real enthusiasts and people who know how to interpret the images, GrLevel2 and Analyst are pretty amazing. I have level 3 as I am still not savvy enough for the upgrade.

As with many of us I'm sure, we were all in the exact same place. Of course, it's only 1 opinion but you can't go wrong with GrLevelx products. You can also use Allison House subscriptions to include additional data. For $79 (US), its worth every penny in my book.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »
LIWeather,
   Thank you for all the good information.  It will be a great help to me in choosing radar software.  The last thing I want to do is spend a lot of money and then find that I don't ever use half of the features.  That is one of the reasons I am not rushing into this purchase.  Thanks again :!: :!: =D>

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 01:43:02 PM »
No worries. I am as anal as the day is long and research quite a bit before making purchases. I was virtually yelled at over the computer buy a person swearing by Grlevelx. I downloaded the trial and fell in love with it.

Remember one thing with the trials. People have been saying to use the trial when there is "active weather" in your area to get the feel for the program. Generally, there is active weather in some part of the country so you can zoom into that local area to see how the radar displays the weather.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »
No worries. I am as anal as the day is long and research quite a bit before making purchases. 

I prefer to call it wisdom.  It took me a while to learn patience when buying things. :oops: ](*,) :roll: #-o  I am going to look at the Storm Predator first just because it is cheaper and has many of the features I am looking for.  Then I will try the GRLevel3.  Then I will give the accuweather Radar Plus a go.  It is only $6.99 and $7.99.  Good price, but you get what you pay for. :shock: 
                         Mark

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 02:31:18 PM »
Well thanks I guess...haha glad to help. Let us know what you think of each so this can hopefully aid others who are going down the same road.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
  I am now testing both the "Storm Predator" and "GRLevel3".  I have a question about the GRLevel3.  Now I only have the free trial package and when I zoom in there are no streets shown except the highways.  Does the registered version have street level mapping available :?:  thanks!!! 
                    Mark

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »
...  Does the registered version have street level mapping available :?:  thanks!!! 
                    Mark

You have to add the maps county by county in manually where you want to go to the street level.  It does not come with them.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 01:19:21 AM »
Exactly like down said. Its an ala carte type program. There are many options available to improve and personalize the software. There is a learning curve though. I will say that it's not the easiest in the world to get all that you want but once you do, the software is awesome.

Visit www.grlevelxstuff.com and you can download different files that add different features.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »
   Thank you for the information.  I wish I could take the best parts of the "Storm Predator" and GRLevel3 and combine them into one program.  I still have a lot of time left to keep "experiencing" these programs.  It's going to be hard to make  up my mind :-k :-k. So many decisions.  Thanks again,  =D>    Mark

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 11:06:50 PM »
   \:D/  Thank you for all the help you gave me concerning radar software. It was very important in helping me choose which to buy.  I finally decided to get GRLevel3 \:D/.  I also looked at Storm Predator but it had one or two fatal flaws in my book.  The biggest was you couldn't zoom in like most radars.  You had to use a magnify window that was useless! ](*,) #-o Another flaw was you could not drag the map around to center the map in a place other than the radars location.  I did like the round screen and the sweeping beam but those two flaws were impossible to overcome.
    I know that I am going to have a great time using the GR radar.  I could not have made such an informed decision without your help and advice. I know I am going to come back to this well of knowledge many more times in the future.
                      Mark

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 11:26:35 PM »
...  I finally decided to get GRLevel3 \:D/.  ....

Congratulations!  I don't think you'll regret it.  I know I have not.   8-)   
Mark 

anything