Author Topic: VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted  (Read 48069 times)

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
Re: VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2013, 01:12:15 AM »
Don, don't forget you'll need an upgraded console before trying it again.
John
W7JKG

Offline Tornado Tim

• Matangi Weather
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2013, 01:52:20 AM »
Don, don't forget you'll need an upgraded console before trying it again.
I think the problem is more with the ISS firmware or board version in regards to getting a digital readout.

There may be componentry difference also between Pre/post Jan 2006 consoles which may also hinder the digital readout.
I would double check with Davis to ensure the console is the culprit and not the ISS, because it could be both!

The ISS pre 2006 had analog sensors and id expect the ISS is expecting an analogue reading. They made a digital to analogue temp/hum sensor for Vp2's made pre Jan 2006 when they stopped manufacturing the older analogue temp/hum sensors.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:00:45 AM by Tornado Tim »
http://NZAPStrike.net - Oceania Blitzortung Lightning Network
http://Matangiweather.org - Matangi Weather Station
Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS with Solar

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Question:  How does someone determine whether they have digital sensors or not?
Archer Trading post states on here: http://www.archertradingpost.com/atp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_9&products_id=89
From Jan 2006 any Temp/Hum Sensor should be digital.

So I presume if your Station is manufactured after that date it should work.

OK, but that doesn't really answer the question.  How does someone determine when their station was manufactured?

Oh, and is it the Station or is it the console? 

Footnote: I have two consoles, acquired at different times from different sources - one came through eBay, so I'm not the original purchaser.

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »
OK, but that doesn't really answer the question.  How does someone determine when their station was manufactured?

Oh, and is it the Station or is it the console?
According to the message from Davis I posted yesterday, it's the console. There's a cryptic 'Mfg. Code' on the label on the back of the console, but I haven't been able to make sense of it.

Also, nothing lost if you try it and it fails. Just put 1.90 back on.
John
W7JKG

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
To "read" the manufacture date code, A100226A063, as an example, AYYMMDDA063 would be Feb. 26, 2010. This was explained to me by 2 different Davis techs.    edit:   This also applies to the codes on any other SIM board covers.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:07:43 AM by moehoward4 »
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline user3162

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2013, 11:44:03 AM »
To "read" the manufacture date code, A100226A063, as an example, AYYMMDDA063 would be Feb. 26, 2010. This was explained to me by 2 different Davis techs.    edit:   This also applies to the codes on any other SIM board covers.

So my console mfg code is A50217A21
I'm guessing, Feb 17 2005. Guess I best not update this one?

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2013, 11:44:17 AM »

So, I purchased my unit from Ambient Weather in December of 2005. It has a manufacture date code of: A50907A16. For older units, like mine, that must translate to AYMMDDA16 which would be September 7, 2005. Not sure what the initial "A" and the "A16" on the tail-end indicate. The A16 could merely be a manufacturing run serial number of some kind for that particular day.

No response, as yet, from Davis to my email and the download information on the website is still the same. Would expect to hear from them sometime next week though. My complete VP2 system has been refurbed by Davis two times. Each time I sent it back for failures of the anemometer unit. The console and ISS that was returned was the same unit I sent in. Only the circuit boards were updated or replaced each time and not the external housings so the manufacturing codes would be accurate.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2013, 11:47:35 AM »

So my console mfg code is A50217A21
I'm guessing, Feb 17 2005. Guess I best not update this one?

Looks like we were both typing at the same time. :lol:

It didn't work for mine for a Sept '05 manufacture date so I would expect the same for yours. At least it is easy to go back to the 1.90 version and doesn't hurt anything so you could always try it if desired.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »
The last letter/numbers weren't explained to me, so I can't help there...but if anyone can tell me how to get back to v1.90, I would much appreciate it.      Jack

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2013, 12:55:31 PM »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:59:22 PM by RainmanWeather »

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
Those download links must be pretty well hidden from the public, I searched their site for a while before calling support to email me a copy.  8-)
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2013, 02:56:21 PM »
To "read" the manufacture date code, A100226A063, as an example, AYYMMDDA063 would be Feb. 26, 2010.
Given that, mine, which failed the update, is Jan 5, 2006. Perhaps that might help somebody else wondering if they can do it.

Thanks, Jack.
John
W7JKG

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2013, 03:11:06 PM »
Rainman       Thanks for the link, I hope it works.     Jack

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
I applied 3.12 to both my Envoy and VP2 Console.

The Envoy is connected via Serial (w/USB adapter) and the VP2 Console via WLIP (and Weatherlink on WinXP).

I stopped Weatherlink in both cases and just as a precaution unchecked the "Upload to Weatherlink.com" box to minimize any potential conflicts on the WLIP Configuration webpage.

Afterwards, I had some issues with the old Windows XP box running Weatherlink for uploading to my web site. Weatherlink.com (and consequent CWOP and WU) were OK, but it was giving some timeout errors for uploads. The "bulletin", summary and diagnostics screens all worked OK.

I upgraded the Win8 machine (with the Envoy) to Weatherlink 6.0.3 before I ran the firmware upgrades. I tried upgrading the XP box Weatherlink as well and that seem to have fixed it. Started uploading, albeit with wrong times. I reset the time/date and all is well on both the Console and Envoy.

The Weatherlink 6.0.3 seems to be faster on the Win8 machine than the older version, but that is a subjective "seems".
Greg H

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline tibadoe

• WeatherLink Network
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
I have one that won't update unless I have the updater: A60301. March 01, 2006.  No biggie I guess, still working fine.
----
Joe

Davis 6162 Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/WeatherLink IP
Win OS: Windows 10
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/2ead9b00-4e3c-4288-954b-65317407e94a
CoCoRaHS: VA-CM-3
WeatherFlow Tempest
https://tempestwx.com/station/52343/

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »
My THANKS to RainmanWeather for those links   =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/   I'm back in business   UU

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »
Does anyone know how I can apply the update on a Mac? I have two consoles and an Envoy and the Mac USB logger. I run Windows XP Pro on Parallels, but I have no idea how to apply drivers in Windows, and if any of it will work with the Mac logger (yes, it is apparently different, as there's a procedure to convert a Windows USB logger into a Mac one.)

Thanks for any suggestions,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline oldmcg

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2013, 10:42:58 AM »
I have a console with 3.0 firmware.  I want to upgrade to 3.12 so I can experiment with non-Davis serial interfaces.  Is there any way I can update my console 3.0 firmware to 3.12 without purchasing a Davis green dot logger?

Thx.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »
Does anyone know how I can apply the update on a Mac? I have two consoles and an Envoy and the Mac USB logger. I run Windows XP Pro on Parallels, but I have no idea how to apply drivers in Windows, and if any of it will work with the Mac logger (yes, it is apparently different, as there's a procedure to convert a Windows USB logger into a Mac one.)

Logger hardware is identical between Windows and Mac environments - no difference at all. You're possibly thinking of the USBXpress and VCP modes of operation of the logger. If the logger has been used in USBX mode on a Windows system then it will likely need reverting to VCP mode before using on a Mac, but many users leave their logger in VCP mode anyway. (I don't think that Mac software supports SiLAbs USBX drivers?)

If you're using a (virtual?) Windows environment then the Direct from PC F/W updates ought to work I would have thought. Otherwsie you'll need to buy/loan a VP2 updater.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »
I have a console with 3.0 firmware.  I want to upgrade to 3.12 so I can experiment with non-Davis serial interfaces.  Is there any way I can update my console 3.0 firmware to 3.12 without purchasing a Davis green dot logger?

The only supported way would be to rent the VP2 Updater (box) from Davis, and for Davis to pre-load it with the latest firmware (3.12).  You'll have to contact Davis to find out about that.

It may be the case that - if you got a non-Davis serial interface - then you could run the update.  So far, nobody has reported the results of trying that.  It's rather unlikely that Davis would tell you whether that would work.

Of course, if you could borrow a logger for a short time....

Offline meteolarissa

• Personal weather station in North Greece
    • Current Weather in Larissa , Greece
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »
RAINWEATHER many many many Thanks...Saved many weatherfriends fast and safe... :grin:

My weather station back in action

Vassilis

Larisa city-Greece
MeteoLarissa PWS,Thessalia,Greece.VP2 6153 with Heater and Solar Sensor.Camera Creative Live+ Logitech pro9000+ +Weatherlink+WD10.37+VWS+VP+Wxsolution++++ etc

Offline morfeas2002

• Forecaster
  • Kostas, Kalamata, Greece
    • Kalamata weather station
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2013, 11:44:24 AM »
Αcording to the label at the back my console is from 2/2012 and has firm 1.90. Can i update to the new firm or is it not safe?

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
Αcording to the label at the back my console is from 2/2012 and has firm 1.90. Can i update to the new firm or is it not safe?
Certainly it is safe from a hardware version standpoint, although it may not work with certain software.

Here are the known issues as I understand them, others please feel free to add or correct to help save others some grief.

Pre-2006 models with analog sensors will not work with the FW ver 3.12 update, "Digital Sensors Not Found" will result and FW must be reverted.

Software that is not working correctly with this update include VWS and WUHU, discussion here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18393.0
[UPDATE] Issues only when these software are used along with VVP

If you have already updated and are experiencing issues, you may revert back to FW ver 1.90 by running the following appropriate file:

The VP2 Wireless FW 1.90 can be downloaded here: http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/download/DirectFromPC_vp2_wireless_1_90.exe

and VP2 Cabled FW 1.90 can be downloaded here: http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/download/DirectFromPC_vp2_cabled_1_90.exe

For those who were experiencing issues and used the links to go back, you are most welcome! Hopefully Davis will clarify these caveats and restore the links to FW ver 1.90 on their site.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:44:45 PM by RainmanWeather »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »
note that the software issues with VWS and WUHU are only if you use those via VVP with the firmware update
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

anything