Author Topic: When some of the display fields go blank, but some work OK  (Read 1155 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
When some of the display fields go blank, but some work OK
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:00:18 PM »
I have a full sized Oracle display, the longer rectangular one.

After a blown GFI I noticed that my display only was working and showing the wind speed and direction and the rainfall.

When I went into diagnostics mode, all the LEDs functioned correctly and showed packet count, battery voltage etc.

I was hoping I hadn't screwed up the processor chip somehow, but until I called Rainwise to ask about repair, never thought of something as simple as what it turned out to be.

Maybe all you RainWise experts know the answer already, but for archiving my learning, I'm posting here, too.

It turns out that the Oracle Display has the ability (but something I'd never used nor will use so I completely zeroed it out in my memory) to individually turn on or off the various display portions.

You can toggle back and forth by  going into setup with MAX-SELECT simultaneously, then hitting BRIGHTNESS to have each LED group display and on or off, which can be toggled by pushing the function name under each LED display.

Then of course, SELECT to back out to the normal operation.

I was very happy, and Ritchie knew immediately what to try.  I think that since I seldom loose power and when I do have never had the display go into a weird mode, combined with a function I'd not paid attention to, kept me from discovering on my own.

But in case in the future anyone has their display loose some fields, don't automatically think that you've blown a display transistor or multiplexer chip.  Try this first.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
Re: When some of the display fields go blank, but some work OK
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:10:59 PM »
Thanks

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:45:43 PM »
It's funny, I found that feature just about a half hour ago as I was setting the clock for EDT.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around why anyone would want to shut off one of the readouts.  The only reason I could come up with would be to save power during an outage.

Offline Richie Cohen

• www.RainWise.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:07:35 AM »
Another reason is we offer units without Rain Gauges, thus the customer can turn off the Rain Fall window rather than always seeing 0.00.
Service & Repairs Manager
RainWise Inc.

anything