Author Topic: Like I Said, ARREST the Fools!  (Read 4171 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Like I Said, ARREST the Fools!
« on: April 17, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
SALINA, Kan. (AP) – So many people were chasing severe weather in parts of central Kansas during the weekend that roads were jammed and emergency responders were hindered from doing their work, some central Kansas safety officials said.

Chancy Smith, director of Dickinson County Emergency Management, said some roads in the northwest section of the county were like "a funeral procession" Saturday and some storm chasers would not allow emergency vehicles to pass or drove over downed power lines.

And Dickinson County Administrator Brad Homman, from Solomon, said he saw bumper-to-bumper traffic near Solomon.

"It was outrageously stupid. People were driving crazy. It was dangerous," Homman said. "I've never seen anything like it in my 27 years of working in emergency service."

Tyler Henoch, who was working as a storm spotter Saturday for KSAL radio, said four Kansas Highway Patrol units passed him with sirens blaring "trying to get people out of the way," Henoch said, and other drivers "would not move."

Legitimate storm chasers were not misbehaving, he said. "But right behind those guys were a bunch of amateurs, teenagers, hanging out of windows with video cameras."

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/tornadoes/story/2012-04-17/storm-tornado-chasers-uproar-kansas/54355372/1

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: Like I Said, ARREST the Fools!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 06:17:29 AM »
Wow, that is ridiculous. Have some respect. If emergency vehicles need through dont be a d**k a block the road, those vehicles are more important than yours, but at least the veterans were acting good  :-) I'm glad im reading all of this so I remember what NOT to do
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »
I guess risking their lives for their YouTube videos didn't matter. Maybe its time to license storm chasers. Anyone on the roads without a proper Storm Chaser window sticker or vehicle identifier during a tornado could be fined thousands of dollars. The money could then go to an aid fund for folks who lost everything.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »
I guess risking their lives for their YouTube videos didn't matter. Maybe its time to license storm chasers. Anyone on the roads without a proper Storm Chaser window sticker or vehicle identifier during a tornado could be fined thousands of dollars. The money could then go to an aid fund for folks who lost everything.
I understand what you are saying but that would be opening up a big ole can of worms.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:26:59 AM »
I understand what you are saying but that would be opening up a big ole can of worms.

That's for sure!

Where do you draw the line? Do you expect everyone to be treated the same? I would think so.

That would go over real well giving a fine to someone trying to get away from the tornado. They are on the road, during a tornado, without the required sticker or vehicle identifier. Or they were simply going home after picking up some stuff for their cookout, on a hot day. Going to fine them too? I guess you would have to. What's goos for one is good for another.

I understand what you are saying, but in the real world, it would never, ever work.

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »
If it wasn't for the Weather Channel and Discovery Channel sensationalizng the storm chasing and turning it into a fad or a craze, all those people wouldn't be out there.

If they try to regulate it, it will end up in the courts.  There are already storm chasing tours people pay money to go on, so there is an economic side to the regulation, as well.

It will all boil down to who has money and how has an effective lobby.  Right or wrong hardly ever enters into those kinds of decisions.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
I don't how the traffic is on any particular chase day but this system was hyped big time by all the networks and on the web as well. I'm sure that figured in with the traffic jams.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »

GREAT idea! =D> =D> =D>
Joe Fitzwater

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 03:17:13 PM »
That would go over real well giving a fine to someone trying to get away from the tornado. They are on the road, during a tornado, without the required sticker or vehicle identifier. Or they were simply going home after picking up some stuff for their cookout, on a hot day. Going to fine them too?

I doubt those people would be from out of state and have GPS devices along with a computer running something like GR3 and a camera along with other things along that line.

Not necessaeirly a license, but valid ID issued by NOAA or some other government agency, a legitimate media outlet or a university with course in meteorology.

Public roads?  In an emergency situation, access can be restricted.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 03:30:47 PM »
Well "Storm Chasers" on Discovery was canceled.  So it will only make new wannabe chasers via repeats......

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
One chaser got arrested out here a few years back for blocking us hwy 283

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »
That would go over real well giving a fine to someone trying to get away from the tornado. They are on the road, during a tornado, without the required sticker or vehicle identifier. Or they were simply going home after picking up some stuff for their cookout, on a hot day. Going to fine them too?

I doubt those people would be from out of state and have GPS devices along with a computer running something like GR3 and a camera along with other things along that line.

Not necessaeirly a license, but valid ID issued by NOAA or some other government agency, a legitimate media outlet or a university with course in meteorology.

Public roads?  In an emergency situation, access can be restricted.

Nice, in theory, but it would never work. Just what we need. The government getting involved in our lives more. Thanks, but no thanks.
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:26:06 AM »
Our govt needs to focus on important issues like ramped corruption, our piss pour health care system, child hunger, education, and the fact that we have millions out of work.  Besides if they limited storm chasers what would you grumpy old men complain about on the internet?

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
Our govt needs to focus on important issues like ramped corruption, our piss pour health care system, child hunger, education, and the fact that we have millions out of work.  Besides if they limited storm chasers what would you grumpy old men complain about on the internet?

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

It almost sounds like you're one of those thrill-seeker chasers who would be p/o'd if we got we wanted.

We're not grumpy old men, we just think leaving the chasing to those who know what they're doing as opposed to thrill-seekers getting in everyone's way and possibly CAUSING INJURY AND/OR DEATH is the most prudent thing to do.  Everyone realizes the value of chasers.  Leave it to those who are trained spotter/chasers/meteorologists.  Not strictly adrenaline junkies.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 08:18:55 PM »
I dont think thats what Jason was trying to say, but although I agree that it would be good to set some kinda of boundary on who storm chases, I dont think you should have to go to a university or something like that to storm chase...Although I would not storm chase now, as soon as I get some equipment, like a car lol, and a few cameras, as well as some training and guidance help, I would love to go storm chasing because I want to start helping the SPC and the NWS by doing that.

So me having to pay $$$ to get a license and everyone else having to do that would interfere with the NWS wanting people to help them report weather.
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
This "land of the free" has too many laws already and adds new ones every day. If someone crashed into my car causing me injury - why does it matter if he was drunk, talking on the cell phone, texting, jamming out to music, or picking his nose? The end result is the same. My injuries and the damaged car are still the same regardless of why he crashed in to me. The bottom line is he needed to be operating his car in a safe manor and he didn't causing an accident. We don't need an individual law outlining every possible scenario.

There are already laws about interfering with emergency and police activities. They need to enforce the current laws. If I was injured and the rescue people were blocked from getting to me, I could care less if it was an adrenalin junkie, TWC, CNN, The president of the US of a new mother bringing home diapers for her baby. The end result is the same - rescue workers are blocked.

I think that the reason nothing is done is the police have prioritized rescuing those in need over arresting people.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
This "land of the free" has too many laws already and adds new ones every day. If someone crashed into my car causing me injury - why does it matter if he was drunk, talking on the cell phone, texting, jamming out to music, or picking his nose? The end result is the same. My injuries and the damaged car are still the same regardless of why he crashed in to me. The bottom line is he needed to be operating his car in a safe manor and he didn't causing an accident. We don't need an individual law outlining every possible scenario.

There are already laws about interfering with emergency and police activities. They need to enforce the current laws. If I was injured and the rescue people were blocked from getting to me, I could care less if it was an adrenalin junkie, TWC, CNN, The president of the US of a new mother bringing home diapers for her baby. The end result is the same - rescue workers are blocked.

I think that the reason nothing is done is the police have prioritized rescuing those in need over arresting people.

Man you hit the nail on the head there!

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »

=D> =D> =D> VERY WELL put! I agree with what you are saying, its not free if you place to many restrictions. There needs to be restrictions, but they shouldnt be applicable to a single thing, they should be broad.
Joe Fitzwater

anything