Author Topic: Why We Chase  (Read 1763 times)

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
Why We Chase
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:01:31 AM »
As many of you are aware by now tonight was a historic tornado outbreak.  For days the SPC has had today targeted and hopefully the word was out.  As usual any time severe weather is mentioned on this forum certain people felt the need to announce their disdained for storm chasers so tonight on the heels of this disaster let me share with you a brief phone call I had with one of my best friends who is a chaser.

I unfortunately had some family business to attend to so I was only able to follow the storms on my phone.  This evening it became apparent that Wichita was in danger and my friend was over nighting there so I was concerned.  When I heard the NWS office was being evacuated there I decided to call him to see where he was and what was going on.  He didn't answer.  However what seemed like an eternity later he texted me with two words.  "it's bad"  This from a veteran of Parkersburg, Greensburg, Yazoo City, and Joplin. 

Some time later he called me choking back tears and told me he was alright.  He said they saw it all, got much of it on tape, and got some good data.  It turns out he was just outside what he and some of the first responders thought was a trailer court but he said crying "Jason there is nothing here.....nothing.  Hopefully it's just the dark, there has to be something here."  Then after a little conversation he said "gotta go we are finally heading in to see if anyone in there." 

I don't know the outcome of that search and won't until tomorrow.  I don't know if there were fatalities or not, I pray not but I do know one thing.  While you are chair weather people where here complaining about storm chasers, storm chasers were out there warning people.  Then storm chasers were out there helping people.  They will be all night while you sleep in your warm comfortable safe bed.  So the next time you feel the need to criticize those of us who want to study severe weather ask yourself, how many lives have you changed with your knowledge of weather?  How many times have you been there seconds after a natural disaster to help anyone who needs it?  How much have you contributed to the field of meteorology behind your keyboard with your condescending key strokes towards those who our out there living it? 

Nights like tonight, are why we chase.  Not because we get some sick joy out of seeing peoples lives destroyed but because we are compelled to see that it doesn't happen again.  This is why we chase.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
Re: Why We Chase
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:26:53 AM »
As many of you are aware by now tonight was a historic tornado outbreak.  For days the SPC has had today targeted and hopefully the word was out.  As usual any time severe weather is mentioned on this forum certain people felt the need to announce their disdained for storm chasers so tonight on the heels of this disaster let me share with you a brief phone call I had with one of my best friends who is a chaser.

I unfortunately had some family business to attend to so I was only able to follow the storms on my phone.  This evening it became apparent that Wichita was in danger and my friend was over nighting there so I was concerned.  When I heard the NWS office was being evacuated there I decided to call him to see where he was and what was going on.  He didn't answer.  However what seemed like an eternity later he texted me with two words.  "it's bad"  This from a veteran of Parkersburg, Greensburg, Yazoo City, and Joplin.  

Some time later he called me choking back tears and told me he was alright.  He said they saw it all, got much of it on tape, and got some good data.  It turns out he was just outside what he and some of the first responders thought was a trailer court but he said crying "Jason there is nothing here.....nothing.  Hopefully it's just the dark, there has to be something here."  Then after a little conversation he said "gotta go we are finally heading in to see if anyone in there."  

I don't know the outcome of that search and won't until tomorrow.  I don't know if there were fatalities or not, I pray not but I do know one thing.  While you are chair weather people where here complaining about storm chasers, storm chasers were out there warning people.  Then storm chasers were out there helping people.  They will be all night while you sleep in your warm comfortable safe bed.  So the next time you feel the need to criticize those of us who want to study severe weather ask yourself, how many lives have you changed with your knowledge of weather?  How many times have you been there seconds after a natural disaster to help anyone who needs it?  How much have you contributed to the field of meteorology behind your keyboard with your condescending key strokes towards those who our out there living it?  

Nights like tonight, are why we chase.  Not because we get some sick joy out of seeing peoples lives destroyed but because we are compelled to see that it doesn't happen again.  This is why we chase.

And while you blast us about complaining about storm chasers, that's NOT what we did.  We complain about the 'thrill-seekers' who are only in it to make money off the videos that I see that get sold online.  If you are one of them, it is YOU who have my wrath.  If not, continue to do the good work you are doing, and please don't be attracted to the quick money that you might make.

I've been in a tornado; I know full well what they feel like and was compelled to be a trained spotter because of it.

Oh, and yes.  I have chased before.  Family commitments now prevent me from doing that except on rare occasions.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
I can understand the need for eyes on the ground for a visual conformation of a tornado (not just Doppler indicated) and to provide feedback as to it's exact location, general size, strength, etc... Also there is a lot to be said for anyone who is part of search and rescue operations no matter if it is weather related or otherwise. I keep hearing that they are studying them to help save lives. This is a genuine question: how much more scientific information is gathered by chasing storms? Is there an elusive piece of info that would result in a breakthrough in prediction? I ask the same question of my sister that studies gorillas in Africa - after 20+ years of her team watching their every move. What else is there to see?  :-k

I guess there are many different reasons that people chase tornadoes. There are those thrill seeking adrenalin junkies that risk their lives just for a rush. I would be a lair if I denied that I would like to see a tornado sometime in my life. Like many others here I enjoy the weather in all it's spender and fury. Of course beautiful sunny days are enjoyed, and stormy nights are equally enjoyable. During a heat wave or freezing cold we look to see if may temperature records are broken. There is a love / hate relationship with storms. We love watching the wind, rain, lightening and even hail, but we hate cleaning up and fixing the damage afterwards. And most of all we hate injuries and deaths. On the weather forums there is always a certain level of excitement before any major weather event. That's why we are here - we love the weather.  \:D/

We can probably place some of the blame of the thrill seekers on the media for sensationalizing the disasters. When there is a disaster, people should be part of the solution and help - not get in the way and become part of the problem.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »
We can probably place some of the blame of the thrill seekers on the media for sensationalizing the disasters. When there is a disaster, people should be part of the solution and help - not get in the way and become part of the problem.
=D> =D> =D>

I like Jason's points on this but I also agree that I do not believe this forum was criticizing everyone who storm chases, only those that help themselves. If I ever storm chased (Which I hope to get my training and such in the next couple years since I'm graduating this year). Of course, if I see a tornado, I would like to post pictures of it on my website. I think the people at home that know me would like to see it. But I would never post it for money or any other purpose like that. And of course helping people is the whole idea for me about storm chasing; you report severe weather to help the NWS, try to see if you can come up with any other data, and then if the tornado hits a town, try to help out the best you can. There shouldn't be any selfishness about storm chasing, it's all about helping people.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »
I keep hearing that they are studying them to help save lives. This is a genuine question: how much more scientific information is gathered by chasing storms? Is there an elusive piece of info that would result in a breakthrough in prediction?
not all setups that should produce a tornado will
and often a tornado forms but then quickly "stomps on itself" and dies

there are subtle differences/changes/mechanisms that can be detected...more from the mobile mesonet stations they deploy out and around/ahead of them I would think though rather than just from visual reports from a storm chaser?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »
I keep hearing that they are studying them to help save lives. This is a genuine question: how much more scientific information is gathered by chasing storms? Is there an elusive piece of info that would result in a breakthrough in prediction?

there are subtle differences/changes/mechanisms that can be detected...more from the mobile mesonet stations they deploy out and around/ahead of them I would think though rather than just from visual reports from a storm chaser?

I think there is still an awful lot to be learned just from video footage.  Of course data collected from instruments is even better, especially if it can be accompanied by video data.  You are right, there are very small scale things that make the difference between a tornado, nothing, or a monster tornado.  This is especially true when multiple storms interact, or you get cell splits. 

Think of it this way, the FAR numbers are still atrocious which needs fixed so we can eliminate Tor warning apathy.  Until we can be 100% accurate there is still plenty of studying to do. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 08:02:51 PM »

Those portable mesonets don't grow on trees.  They're not cheap for sure.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

anything