Poll

Does your UV sensor work on your Atlas ?

Yes perfect
5 (29.4%)
Yes Sometimes
0 (0%)
Yes but really low readings
12 (70.6%)
No doesn't work at all
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: UV sensor poll  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
UV sensor poll
« on: October 17, 2019, 12:22:31 PM »
So far Ive had 3 UV sensors that Acurite has sent me and they have all had really really low readings . Not one of them is anywhere close to the readings of other type of station around me . I have no trees or buildings blocking the sun from my sensor . And when the forecast shows a UV reading of 10+ my sensor show 2 or 3 as the high reading . Acurite has now put my problem on " hold " . I would like to know how other user see there UV sensor !! Are you happy with it ?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: UV sensor poll
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 02:46:50 PM »
The UV reading from my Atlas is always low. I complained about it to AcuRite and filed a warranty complaint. Below is the response I got back.

Thank you for your inquiry, I am happy to assist.

At this time, we have had a handful of users experiencing this same issue with the UV readings.  We are currently investigating this.  As soon as we come to a resolution we will be in contact with you as far as the next step.  I do have all of the information about your sensor that we need to investigate.

I apologize for the issues you have experienced and we do appreciate your patience in the above matter.

Thank you,

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 05:07:20 PM »
Got mine all the way to 15 with a flashlight.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:37:01 PM by nincehelser »

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 06:07:06 PM »
Mine has read lower than any surrounding weather stations, as well as online UV readings for my area since the day I got it back in April. 

I notified Acurite about it in a chat at the time.  They indicated that maybe THEIR unit was correct.  Since I couldn't prove otherwise and since I saw other Atlas owners here with the same problem, and since I didn't buy the unit for the UV readings anyway, I just let it go.

It would be nice if it were more accurate though. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:46:32 PM by AlanD96 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:09:17 PM »
If you're comparing to UV forecasts, be sure to do it at solar noon.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 08:42:54 AM »
It seems the filter is too thick that is located under the outer UV housing... I think they need to make the filter out of a clearer material to allow more light through to the sensor.

Offline dgf

• Suburban Area near Lake Saint Clair
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 02:18:06 PM »
It works but seems to report lower than others around in my area, ie, especially compared to Ambient Wx stations.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »
It works but seems to report lower than others around in my area, ie, especially compared to Ambient Wx stations.

I concur 100% . The UV forecast was  suppose to be a 5 today .  My  station showed a 1 while all the Ambient Weather Station around me showed 5 . I did this check at the solar noon today at 11:37:51 PT .

Offline txbayou

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 03:36:22 PM »
FYI I recall starting a thread about the Atlas UV sensor one year ago, when I was having problems with one of the first Atlas units sold by Amazon (I returned it). Received some interesting replies:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35252.0

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 03:47:47 PM by txbayou »

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 10:23:48 AM »
Seems there’s inconsistency with several components in the Atlas. Had to replace my Atlas sensor which AcuRite took care of. The original sensor began having power issues at night when the battery pack extension was connected. It was one of the original Atlas sensors they produced.

Anyhow the UV worked just fine on the old Atlas and would often hit 8-9 sometimes even 10 on a sunny July day. The replacement however never got above 5 and only read 5 once in a while. I fixed this by powering down the sensor and swapping the rain gauge lids and reconnecting the solar cable.

I was also told this is a known issue and they’ve got a log of all the complaints they got and are trying to fix it.

I do know the issues with the Atlas right now are why they haven’t released the Elite yet from what I’ve been told.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 12:14:05 PM »
Nearly 5 months since I notified Acurite about my UV problem and still hasn't been fixed !! Over two months since they last contacted me and I was told "  As soon as we have further information I will be in touch with you again. We appreciate your patience. " VIA E-mail from acurite ....  I also noticed that the person from Acurite who use to come on here hasn't been here since " September 10, 2019, 03:54:41 PM" .  Sure wish they would figure this out before my warranty expires !!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 12:30:55 PM »
Sometimes if I don't get the satisfaction that think is fair during the warranty period, I will then wait for the warranty to expire. I then contact American Express which I buy all my electronics with and I take advantage of the extended warranty benefit from Amex.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 07:38:18 PM »
When I was dealing with the lightning issue last year, out of three units, only the first one's UV worked. I ended up keeping that section of the Altas and the repaired lightning section to create a unit that has worked okay for close to a year now.

The ones that did not work the UV reading would never go above two. I have an Ecowitt close by to compare so it was pretty obvious they were failing on super sunny days.

The only thing I have had to do to my Atlas since then was to replace the batteries at 13 months and clean out the rain bucket. My display was stuck for nearly a month but it seems to have fixed itself.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:39:56 PM by MacGarage »
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Pachumatias

• Acurite Atlas
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 07:13:09 PM »
Hello

I´m Matias From Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I have a Acurite Atlas and it has the same issue. It shows a lower UV Index (about 40 - 50% less).

The Customer Support wrote to me by chat the following procedure for this issue:

Verify that you are using a fresh set of batteries. The battery expiration date should be at least 6 years out. Batteries can lose 3% of their power or more every year in storage.

Bring both the sensor and display unit indoors and position them side by side.
Remove the batteries from the sensor.
Go to the main menu by tapping the "MENU" button.  The "MENU" button is the three white horizontal lines in the upper left-hand corner of the display.
Tap the "SENSOR" option from the menu.
Tap "REMOVE A SENSOR". It will show you a picture of the Atlas sensor.
Tap "DONE".
It will ask you to confirm removing the sensor, tap "YES".
It will ask you "Are you sure?", tap "YES".
The display will revert back to the previous screen. Tap the back arrow in the upper left-hand corner of the display to return to the main menu.
Tap "FACTORY RESET".
You will receive a prompt asking if you want to reset to factory settings. Tap "YES".
It will ask you "Are you sure?", Tap "YES". The display will reset itself and go to the main AcuRite logo screen.
You will now be able to set up the display up by following the on-screen prompts.
Once that is completed, put the batteries back into the sensor.
Go to the main menu by tapping the "MENU" button.  The "MENU" button is the three white horizontal lines in the upper left-hand corner of the display.
Tap the "SENSOR" option from the menu.
Tap "ADD A SENSOR".
The display will look for your sensor and show a picture of it when it is found asking if you would like to add it. Ensure that the designation in the description matches the channel that you set your sensor on.  Tap "ADD THIS SENSOR".
The display will revert to the previous screen.  Tap the back arrow in the upper left-hand corner of the display twice to return to the main screen.
Let both sensor and display sit side by side to establish a connection. (Leaving the units side-by-side for 30 minutes will allow you to verify accuracy by comparing the indoor and outdoor readings shown on the display.
After a connection has been established, the sensor can be placed outdoors.

Did Anybody do it?

Thanks in advance

Matías

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 08:33:27 AM »
This procedure will fully reset your display, but will do nothing to change your UV readings.  Only the UV sensor on the outdoor unit has an impact on those readings.

Do you also have an Access and report to MyAcurite and Weather Underground?  Are the UV readings the same on the display and MyAcurite?

Offline Pachumatias

• Acurite Atlas
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 08:50:41 AM »
This procedure will fully reset your display, but will do nothing to change your UV readings.  Only the UV sensor on the outdoor unit has an impact on those readings.

Do you also have an Access and report to MyAcurite and Weather Underground?  Are the UV readings the same on the display and MyAcurite?

I dont have MyAcurite, the weather station is in the field, and there is no conection to internet in that place.

Then... The procedure that the costumer support gave me doesnt work?

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 08:58:06 AM »
Only the check on the age of the batteries might have some impact on the UV reading (and I think that's very unlikely).  The remainder of the procedure will completely reset your display and connection to the outdoor sensor, but this will not change the UV reading itself which is generated by the outdoor unit, not the display. 

In summary, no, I don't think this will work.

Offline Pachumatias

• Acurite Atlas
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 09:17:45 AM »
Thank you Neil.

The battery are news.

Then if this procedure doesnt work, unfortunately the station will have this issue for a long time.
Acurite dont have warranty in Argentina.
The shipping cost and customs for sending the station from Argentina to USA and viceversa are very expensive.
I hope this issue can be solved soon, without send It.