Author Topic: Access Connection Issues  (Read 30132 times)

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
Re: Access Connection Issues
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2018, 09:28:01 AM »
If I was just using a 5n1 it would be fine, but I use water detection sensors so if it goes offline it could be an issue.
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2018, 08:15:49 AM »
I had two alerts last night for signal loss at the VT location. Both the Access and the SmartHub were listed as offline for 2 hours by 2:23AM EST. However, checking my WU page, the Access has been reporting data steadily since midnight.

So slight confusion here. Not sure if this is a false alarm...or if possibly the Access is now back filling data on WU?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
I had two alerts last night for signal loss at the VT location. Both the Access and the SmartHub were listed as offline for 2 hours by 2:23AM EST. However, checking my WU page, the Access has been reporting data steadily since midnight.

So slight confusion here. Not sure if this is a false alarm...or if possibly the Access is now back filling data on WU?

I don't think there's any wunderground back-filling going on yet.   I would expect that feature would require a firmware upgrade.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »
Maybe it's an issue between the Access and MyAcurite?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2018, 12:25:24 PM »
I installed the Access the other day and last night, set it up on MyAcurite. After removing the old SmartHub from the account, all seemed well. But the Access wasn't uploading data. I unplugged the unit...then remembered the battery backup. So I unplugged the Ethernet, waited, replugged and all seemed well. I noticed my upload times weren't as instantaneous as with the SmartHub, but all the data was showing on WU. I believe someone here mentioned it doesn't send data as frequently, but it send all the data it's captured.

This morning, it seems to have stopped sending data again. I went on to the MyAcurite website and the status is color is yellow and says "Weak". But looking at the signal strength, it says "Strong".

Anyone have any issues with their Access?

Don't worry - they will soon kill the Access just like they did with the SmartHub and then sell you ANOTHER version.
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2018, 08:49:02 AM »
We had a power outage in VT yesterday morning that lasted for just under two hours. The Access did not come back on its own; I had to reboot it. Thankfully, we were there to do so. I suppose I could have remotely rebooted the router had we not been there. What's odd is one of my IP cams didn't come back online either. There was a power issue earlier in the week and everything came back online just fine.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2018, 09:17:57 AM »
How long did you give it Glenn only the two times my home lost power my access reconnected just fine on its own, sometimes it can take two to three hours.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »
I just took a look at my WU charts for that day. I gave it about 2.5 hours before the reboot. We were heading out, so I figured I'd reboot before we left.

I've had it come back as well in certain instances.  In fact, there wasn't much of a blip from the outage we had earlier in the week. So I was surprised this time, it didn't come back on it's own.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline oldman43

« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2018, 12:42:43 AM »
My ACCESS keeps losing the internet connection.If I unplug it, reboot the router, then reset ACCESS,  it will work for 2-6 hours.  This is the 2nd ACCESS  unit that has done this.  I have tried moving it about 6 ft. Away from the router, but it hasn't helped.  I know the router works, because I've been streaming live tv from it with no dropouts.
The situation is untenable  because this is a 2nd home, that is only visited 2-3 times a year.  I haven't figured out a way ro remotely reboot it.  I'd like to get the root problem fixed, but don't know where to start.....Any suggestions anyone?
Bob

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2018, 08:10:55 AM »
That's tough Bob. I'm dealing with a second location as well. Thankfully, we visit fairly often.

Have you tried contacting Acurite on the issue? Were you running a SmartHub prior to the Access?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
My ACCESS keeps losing the internet connection.If I unplug it, reboot the router, then reset ACCESS,  it will work for 2-6 hours.  This is the 2nd ACCESS  unit that has done this.  I have tried moving it about 6 ft. Away from the router, but it hasn't helped.  I know the router works, because I've been streaming live tv from it with no dropouts.
The situation is untenable  because this is a 2nd home, that is only visited 2-3 times a year.  I haven't figured out a way ro remotely reboot it.  I'd like to get the root problem fixed, but don't know where to start.....Any suggestions anyone?
Bob
If you're streaming using too much data that will kick the access offline

If both accesses are doing the same thing it's not the products fault you have another issue
KMIBADAX38

Offline oldman43

« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2018, 11:59:57 AM »
That's tough Bob. I'm dealing with a second location as well. Thankfully, we visit fairly often.

Have you tried contacting Acurite on the issue? Were you running a SmartHub prior to the Access?
Yes, I was using a SmartHub successfully before Access, and I did connect with Acurite.  After numerous troubleshooting/rebooting steps, they gave me an RMA but told me it would be 3 weeks before I got it back.  So, I bought a second one, figuring that would eventually give me a spare.  But that exhibits the same issues. 

Is the SmartHub compatible  with the Atlas, and will it send data to Weatherground?

Offline oldman43

« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2018, 12:05:28 PM »
If you're streaming using too much data that will kick the access offline

If both accesses are doing the same thing it's not the products fault you have another issue
I agree.  However, I've tried everything I can think oh to get them working.
It's not a streaming issue.  I did my last reboot just before I went to bed, and 4 hrs. later, it disconnected.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:09:03 PM by oldman43 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2018, 01:04:10 PM »
Is the SmartHub compatible  with the Atlas, and will it send data to Weatherground?

The SmartHUB is not compatible with Atlas.

Offline radioman61

« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2018, 05:02:35 AM »
I have a smart hub that works flawlessly and two Access units that have been very buggy.  It’s a shame Acurite is forcing the smart hub in to obsolescence.  This was definitely a step backward.  Another example of how Acurite was positioned to crush their main competitors and pissed it away.  I would speculate that this is a classic example of what happens when engineers are hobbled by the accounting department.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2018, 05:19:15 AM »
I have a smart hub that works flawlessly and two Access units that have been very buggy.  It’s a shame Acurite is forcing the smart hub in to obsolescence.  This was definitely a step backward.  Another example of how Acurite was positioned to crush their main competitors and pissed it away.  I would speculate that this is a classic example of what happens when engineers are hobbled by the accounting department.

That's awfully strange, especially given the number of people complaining about problems with the SmartHUB. 

Saying the Access is a "step backward" is nonsense.  Take a look at the hardware in the the two systems (pictures have been posted here) and that's quite easy to see.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2018, 07:05:51 AM »
My Access overall has been working very well and I have been pleased with it my old Smart Hub worked okay also but I got tired of missing data packets because the signal was just horrible no matter what I did I.

The battery backup and data fill in on the access has been working perfect for me I'm glad I got in on the $40 deal.
KMIBADAX38

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2018, 08:01:23 AM »
I had many issues with access,  I returned the unit, it could not be repaired so Acurite sent new one, since I received the new and I guess improved unit I have not had any issues.
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline radioman61

« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2018, 10:00:30 AM »
The internal clock still runs wild.  Keeping the batteries out of it seems to help the recovery time connecting if the router suffers a power outage but then what’s the point?  My biggest gripe is the 5 minute update intervals to the MyAcuRite app.  The Smarthub updated at much shorter intervals.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2018, 11:10:06 AM »
The internal clock still runs wild.  Keeping the batteries out of it seems to help the recovery time connecting if the router suffers a power outage but then what’s the point?  My biggest gripe is the 5 minute update intervals to the MyAcuRite app.  The Smarthub updated at much shorter intervals.

The 5-minute myAcurite update rate was implemented in an attempt to keep the myAcurite service free.  The way the SmartHUB is sending data (basically everything that it gets as often as it gets it... including your neighbor's sensors) is expensive to process in the back-end.  The Access instead pre-process all the sensor data locally.  It's just more economically efficient.

The 5-minute interval isn't set in stone.  The Access has the capability to send data more frequently (as it does to wunderground every 10-seconds), but the back-end costs of myAcurite need to be covered somehow... perhaps through a tiered service subscription model.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:11:50 AM by nincehelser »

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2018, 11:10:29 AM »
My AcuRite updates in 5 minutes intervals no matter what time the data is sent, you think that's bad you should have had the old system when it was 15 minutes! 

Coming from that 5 minutes is a dream but I agree that's way too long
KMIBADAX38

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2018, 12:24:35 PM »
5 minutes seems to be a good normal average for online services. Few services allow less than 5 minute uploads without paying extra. PWSweather, and ambientweather.net are about the only ones that I'm aware of that allow less than 5 minute uploads (they allow 1 minute for free). Some have 10 minute upload at best like WeatherCloud. The majority of the ones I'm aware of are all 5 minutes: CWOP, AWEKAS, MET Office WOW, Windguru.

Alas Weather Underground if you look a the history the data is only available every 5 minutes also!

Weather Underground sort of stands alone in providing "Live" data allowing up to 5 second uploads. But it only keeps a record every 5 minutes. For this reason Weather Underground stands alone in being the only service I'm aware of that provides "Live" data view. For all the problems and grief that WU is known for they are the biggest Weather Network in terms of stations reporting and they provide something that nobody else offers. People get upset with WU and claim to leave them for good....but there really is no good alternative ...other than to run your own website. Okay now I'm getting off topic, so enough of that.

I don't know what the Weatherlink limit is...perhaps someone can let us know.

So for Acurite to be limited to every 5 minutes in comparison does not seem terrible as it seems to be a good normal average. What Acurite could do is adopt the Weather Underground method of allowing "Live" less than a minute or at least a minute view of readings but only keep data average every 5 minutes. That would increase bandwidth considerably for Acurite though, but at least it wouldn't increase storage costs.

Still it is a shame that the Access does not provide Live access with a PC on the network for you to then publish to a personal website or to run 3rd party software.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:30:18 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »
I don't know what the Weatherlink limit is...perhaps someone can let us know.
WL will allow for "rapid fire" (if it's still available thru WU, I have no idea), other than that, my data is updated every minute.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2018, 09:11:43 AM »

Yes, I was using a SmartHub successfully before Access, and I did connect with Acurite.  After numerous troubleshooting/rebooting steps, they gave me an RMA but told me it would be 3 weeks before I got it back.  So, I bought a second one, figuring that would eventually give me a spare.  But that exhibits the same issues. 

I had issues when I first received the Access units...both were dropping offline quite a bit. Then, things seem to stabilize. I'm now getting an occasional issue with reconnecting after an outtage. But the stability has improved. Not sure what the cause of that has been. Maybe they did a firmware update?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »
Latest firmware I believe is 47?
KMIBADAX38