Author Topic: Newbie looking for an easy short cut  (Read 468 times)

Offline kabong57

Newbie looking for an easy short cut
« on: July 09, 2019, 02:09:13 PM »
I am new to this sight and personal weather stations in general.  Just installed a Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless with WiFi logger and am connected to a router served by fiber optic service. This is located at our farm 15 miles from our residence.  At this time I am not as interested in public sharing of the information as I am in being able to access it remotely. Both from mobile devices (smart phone / tablet) and from my home and work computers. I made it through the first 300 out of 1200 posts in this forum about WiFi logger and am in way over my head. Is there a basic / simple set-up I may start with that will get me going till I have more time to advance ?     WiFi Weather for Dummies ?     steve

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Newbie looking for an easy short cut
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:22:29 PM »
Just set up the WiFiLogger to upload data to any of the weather services that it supports...that is easy. Need help...just ask which service you need help with. Need help choosing then start with WU. You said you aren't interested in public sharing of your weather data...but you are interested in remote access to your data. Well when you share it publicly then you gain remote access to the weather data. What does it exactly mean that you aren't interested in public sharing of the data...does that mean you are totally against it? If so then what you can do is set up a computer on that network and enable some sort of remote access to it. There are many remote access solutions. I like Team Viewer and it is easy to set up. But if that remote access is something you want on a mobile device then Team Viewer is not the most elegant solution. We really need to know more about your needs and how you want to use that data.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »
You could also set up a VPN on the router. Then you VPN into that network and then you access the WiFiLogger or data your saving locally (if you are doing that) directly as if you were on that network. But setting up a VPN isn't exactly easy. But don't let that scare you. Many home routers have built in VPN support.
Tele-Pole

Offline kabong57

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 11:55:23 PM »
Sorry to be so vague but the location some times includes trials and experimentals that we would rather not draw attention to. Suppose we could register as a different location but that seems wrong.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 03:57:45 AM »
Even if WFL is not sending data anywhere (maybe you choose to do that in the future) you can log on to the live data page of the logger and see station data.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:39:02 AM »
With these vague requirements... If it were me I'd have chosen the Meteobridge Nano instead of the WiFiLogger.

With the Meteobridge Nano you can have a full logger with history and graphs. You also gain easy built in remote access without need to forward ports. You don't need a dynamic DNS IP service if you don't have a static public IP address. Everything is easy then.

The WiFiLogger was designed to send data. If you just have it to view live data that just seems limited.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 05:49:10 AM »
I just thought of something else. The WiFiLogger is capable of sending to Weatherlink.com. That data is private (unless you decide to make it public.) So all you need is to send data to Weatherlink.com.

You can also send data to a personal website that you don't disclose its location. So the data is out there but nobody knows where it's from.
Tele-Pole

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 04:58:05 PM »
A simple solution that does not involve building web pages, creating a VPN or port forwarding, is to use a file hosting such as Dropbox, Onedrive, Google Drive or similar. Even the free accounts have 2 gig of data & that is a LOT of weather information. That does not put the data onto anyone's web pages and the WiFiLogger ftp function would work with Dropbox.

That does not expose your data to anyone that you do not authorize (IN THEORY). Your isp may also provide a web accessible data space that you could use with a simple ftp command.

anything