Weather Station Hardware > Ambient Weather and Ecowitt and other Fine Offset clones

New Stuff - Ecowitt Has the Newest Fine Offset Hardware

(1/100) > >>

galfert:
It seems like Ecowitt has the newest Fine Offset hardware. Fine Offset is the manufacture of the hardware (same as what Ambient Weather sells). We have all seen their version of the WS-2902A which they call the WH2910C and the WS-2000 version which they call HP2551. Their sensor array looks a bit different in that it just has two sides instead of 3 sides with the Ambient Osprey series. I think the Ecowitt version may be better for keeping snow off. You can also see this two sided version on Fine Offset's website: www.foshk.com

Well that is not all they have coming up. It seems that I have just discovered posted today on Amazon is a complete weather station with separate components. I'm talking separate rain gauge and separate anemometer. We've seen the rain gauge a few months back. I learned about it when they started selling custom bird spikes. When I saw that separate rain gauge I suspected that the anemometer was not far off. And well here it is and ready to ship from Amazon.

It is the Ecowitt HP3501 and it isn't even listed in their website. None of this is listed in Fine Offset's website either. I guess they are slow to update their sites.
https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Wireless-Anemometer-Self-Emptying-Collector/dp/B07MZ3YV64/

You can also get all these other accessory sensors and what seems is a new version of the ObserverIP called GW1000. It supports all these separate component sensors. You can essentially build your own complete weather station.
https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Gateway-Temperature-Humidity-Pressure/dp/B07JLRFG24/

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Here is the missing piece I had not seen until today, the anemometer:

The separate rain gauge has a larger diameter than the Osprey type rain gauge that we are used to. I hope it is more accurate, not that I ever felt the Osprey was inaccurate, on the contrary I thought it was very accurate. Yet it is larger so it must be better.

That is not all. We all love the ambientweather.net web service that allows us to see all our WS-2000 and WS-2902A sensors. Well Ecowitt has the exact same thing but better. It is called ecowit.net and it seems to be running a newer version of the same web server software. It has a dark background which I like better. And it includes a map where you can find all other Ecowitt stations much like the old Davis Weatherlink.com. It always surprised me that on ambientweather.net the Community link just took you to a static page on Ambient's site instead of map. I always felt it needed a map. With Ecowitt this same link placement is called "Weather Map."

See Ambient for comparison....and when you look at the graphs you can tell it is the same software.

And the Ecowitt map has just a few stations now. Like 3 in the US and 9 in China.

With Amazon you can often see the history of a product to see when it first listed. Sometimes the data isn't there. Another resource I like to use to see how long that product has been for sale on Amazon is CamelCamelCamel but they are down at the moment because of crashed server hard drives. So I used Keepa.com which is similar and the price history on these new items shows that they were just listed today January 31, 2019.

I think Ambient will eventually offer the same hardware. I can't see them not doing so. We already heard from Ambient that they have updated the firmware on the WS-2000 for the PM2.5 air quality sensor and we know they are working on other sensors. So I'd say all this is coming from Ambient, but for now it seems Ecowitt has beat them to the launch.

Some users here are signed up to beta test some GW1000 sensors (myself included). This sorta lets the cat out of the bag of how big this really is though.

Strange to see all this launch now just before Spring Festival (Chinese New Year). I guess its going to be a good year, I think.

galfert:
Here are some more screenshot of Ecowitt.net.  Like a newer nicer version of ambientweather.net. Very nice dark theme. Very nice calendar selection option where you can click on specific date instead of going one day at time or one month at a time. The data export is done to .xlsx (Excel format) instead of .csv (comma separated values).

galfert:
Here is a small window of the Ecowitt map. This can be much larger if you run full screen. I just made a small window for this screenshot.

kbellis:
Thanks for the heads up!

Mandrake:
Thanks guys. Useful to see.
I have been exploring this for the last week in anticipation of my new suite of Ecowitt kit (HP2550 with Tri arm sensor array and Gw-1000 and PM2.5 + soil Moisture sensor)
I am counting down the clock til the New year festivities end in Feb and the kit is shipped to me!
For reference since Ecowitt is FO you can pretty much get anything and mix and match if you ask them.
I wanted the HP2550 (WS-2000) display with the 3 arm array (Osprey) which is not shown on the Ecowitt site but they are happy to send it to me.

Galfert are you using your station to feed Ecowitt.net with ambient firmware or is it someone elses data that you are showing?
Just wondering as I shall be curious to see what firmware version to use as I understand that the Ecowitt kit should talk directly to the ecowitt.net servers as a default option in their version of the firmware.

One thing I do know about the ecowitt.net site is it does not yet support Amazon Alexa or Google like the ambient.net version but that it is in development. If they are basically the same platform I assume that it wont take too long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version