Author Topic: Davis station or ISS replacement?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Davis station or ISS replacement?
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 05:58:07 PM »
I set up the new 6328 ISS today and all works.  Nice to see the UV and solar data.

I have it about 30" from the original VP2 ISS but the anemometer not yet at the same height.  It is clear that the old anemometer was suffering as the new one is often turning when the old one is not, and noticeably faster.  The old one came through Friday's wind storm ok and I registered my 2nd fastest speed ever at 83.5 kmh and wind run of 561.4 km.  But wonder what the new one would have recorded.  The local airport max gust was 98.2 kmh.

Enjoying,
Paul
If you keep BOTH stations operating for awhile, you can develop an equation comparing new-vs.-old data, from which you "could" (*IF* you really want to) go back and "adjust/fudge" the old anemometer readings to agree with the newer anemometer.

However, I, personally, would simply "note time & date" the new device replaced the old and leave "past" data alone. Also, depends upon how far "back" you think/believe the old unit began to slowly provide less accurate data.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:01:48 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »
Paul you inspired me to order the solar sensor. I was thinking I could use for daytime cloud cover instead of metar on website, but after reading around looks like that only works with WD and I'm using Cumulus.
Oh well maybe I'll become more interested in Solar later but to be honest have very little enthusiasm about sun intensity since its already a known and varys with cloud cover.
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 09:01:42 PM »
Fellow weather enthusiasts.

I have two VP2 ISSs. I bought one new from Ryan at SI about 18 months ago (includes SHT31) but can't remember which ISS is the newer one. I replaced the temp-humidity sensor in the older ISS (it is over 10 years old) with the SHT31, and replaced the PCBA too so I would not need an offset using the SHT31. I also replaced the rain base but did not replace my anemometer. One anemometer has the Davis logo on it and the other does not. I presume my newer one has the Davis logo on it. Can anybody confirm as the logo is the only difference I see between the two ISSs.  Yes, I soaked my old ISS overnight in a bleach solution and it looks brand new so just looking at one ISS vs. the other doesn't answer my question. I would contact Davis support but this Forum is quicker and generally provides guidance as good as and sometimes better than Davis support!

And for those wondering, my question is not worth a separate thread.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:48:20 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 04:17:22 PM »
Serial numbers can be used...even when ISS pcb has been replaced on the older system.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside