Author Topic: Switching from USB to IP Ethernet, how?  (Read 5270 times)

Offline machineman

Switching from USB to IP Ethernet, how?
« on: September 11, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »
I have Davis Pro2 with weatherlink USB datalogger.  I want to switch to ethernet IP system so I can get data remotely and without a computer running.   Is there a way to do this without having to repurchase the software by either....  Getting an ethernet data logger and plug into my router and keep the same software?  Or can it be as simple as using USB to RJ45 coupler  and keep my existing USB datalogger? 

Thanks.
Davis VP2 - WeatherLinkIP

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: Switching from USB to IP Ethernet, how?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
You would have to buy a WeatherLink IP and replace the USB logger.  If you are using WeatherLink software, then you would only have to change the Communication Port setting.

If you are using a third-party software, then someone else would have to say how well it works with the WLIP.

A USB to ethernet coupler has no CPU to handle the data downloading and uploading.

Or you could buy a Meteohub unit and let it download/upload the data, but that approach is more complicated than the WLIP.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
... so I can get data remotely and without a computer running. 

Please explain a bit more about exactly what you want to do.  Are you wanting to be able to access your Vantage Pro 2 from somewhere else?  Or are you wanting to have the data from the VP2 moved to somewhere you can access it?  Or what?

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:17:01 PM »
I think he did explain it enough
an IP data logger is what is needed (to replace the USB data logger)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline machineman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »
... so I can get data remotely and without a computer running. 

Please explain a bit more about exactly what you want to do.  Are you wanting to be able to access your Vantage Pro 2 from somewhere else?  Or are you wanting to have the data from the VP2 moved to somewhere you can access it?  Or what?

I want to access VP2 data from home while the VP2 console is at another property. Either data is sent somewhere I can grab it or I access the VP2 directly.  It needs to be plugged into a router without a PC running at the site.  Then I will embed it into my website using an I-frame or some other link.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »

I want to access VP2 data from home while the VP2 console is at another property. Either data is sent somewhere I can grab it or I access the VP2 directly.  It needs to be plugged into a router without a PC running at the site.  Then I will embed it into my website using an I-frame or some other link.

Thanks.  As stated by others, the WeatherLinkIP will replace your USB logger, will plug into a router, and will send the data to the WeatherLink.com web site.  You can link to that site from your website.  [You will not be able to directly access your VP2]

The Davis loggers (including the USB and WeatherLinkIP models) come with free WeatherLink software.  The idea is that, since you got it free with the USB logger, you don't "repurchase" the software when you buy the WeatherLinkIP.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »
Why not use a Netbook at the remote site?  Screen off you are looking at  acouple watts consumption. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 05:33:42 AM »
Why not use a Netbook at the remote site?  Screen off you are looking at  acouple watts consumption. 

No definately said did not want a remote computer running.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »

How 'bout your own page that looks like this, no PC required?

(This is a reduced screen grab. Click on the image to be taken to the live page.)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »
Hey - time to change the battery on Station 4!  :)  (Nice set up)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline machineman

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »

How 'bout your own page that looks like this, no PC required?

Thats a cool page. I already have a website so just need to embbed an exisiting page like that or the weatherlink data into it.
My only solution seems to be purchaseing WeatherlinkIP with new software since I haven't found the hardware only. Its alays bundled.

My remote cabin is off grid so I need to conserve energy, thats why not have a running PC is a plus.  Also I would need to reduce the data update frequency becuase I have a mobile aircard for internet which has a 5GB limit per month. About half of the 5GB is already cosumed by motion images from IP security cams and general internet use while Im there.  Although I'm sure the data files are a small size.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:12:26 AM »
WLIP ~ 60 sec updates (fixed) plus 10 minute archive (user configurable) uploaded hourly runs around 2mb/day (60mb/mth)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 11:51:54 AM »
Thats a cool page. I already have a website so just need to embbed an exisiting page like that or the weatherlink data into it.
My only solution seems to be purchaseing WeatherlinkIP with new software since I haven't found the hardware only. Its alays bundled.

My remote cabin is off grid so I need to conserve energy, thats why not have a running PC is a plus.  Also I would need to reduce the data update frequency becuase I have a mobile aircard for internet which has a 5GB limit per month. About half of the 5GB is already cosumed by motion images from IP security cams and general internet use while Im there.  Although I'm sure the data files are a small size.

The WeatherElement data hub draws about 165 ma at 12 VDC, and we can set the upload frequency to whatever you want, and change it remotely (send a command back from the server) if needed.

At 30 second updates, it uses less than 3.5 megabytes per day, or about 100 MB/month. If you wanted less impact, say every ten minutes, that would cut the payload by 20x, or 175 KB per day/5.25 MB per month.

FWIW, we have 2 WeatherElement sites running on cellular. One is on a cellular router. That site is totally off-grid and solar powered and the entire station, including console, data hub, and router uses about 7 AH per day at 12 VDC.

The other cellular based station is connected through a laptop using Internet Connection Sharing and an AirCard.

Offline machineman

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 01:30:51 PM »
Update:  I purchased weatherlinkIP and it works great. Was up and running as soon as I plugged it in and registered.  Now to Ebay the weatherlink USB data logger.