Author Topic: Official weather hardware?  (Read 3688 times)

Greg_M

Official weather hardware?
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »
On the news in Albuquerque they never report the weather stats for where we are moving. There's always a big hole in the map in that area. I'm wondering if there is a brand of weather hardware that is the "officially accepted weather reporting hardware" for TV stations? I'd like to put our area on the map. I have some meager experimental stuff now that I can play with but I will no doubt be buying "good stuff" eventually.

So what brand do they usually prefer if any?

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
Re: Official weather hardware?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
Having worked in broadcast for the last 30+ years I can safely say the official equipment is whatever they can afford within the budget given, so often the same equipment we use.  Official NWS equipment will run thousands of dollars.  So most TV stations use everything from Oregon Scientific to Met One to Vaisala and everything in between.  RainWise and Campbell are used for a lot of government projects and are generally considered the most accurate for the price.  I see Davis equipment at  a lot of TV stations and many of the Department of Transportation reporting sites.

Almost more important than the equipment used is how it is mounted.  Proper placement of the sensors is critical.  A good guide is at ftp://ftp.campbellsci.com/pub/outgoing/apnotes/siting.pdf
Joe Torsitano

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »
On the news in Albuquerque they never report the weather stats for where we are moving. There's always a big hole in the map in that area. I'm wondering if there is a brand of weather hardware that is the "officially accepted weather reporting hardware" for TV stations? I'd like to put our area on the map. I have some meager experimental stuff now that I can play with but I will no doubt be buying "good stuff" eventually.

So what brand do they usually prefer if any?
How much are you thinking of spending? Davis as you can probably gather from other posts are the most popular choice for a wide range of uses including reporting stations. Some airports like those that send to the NWS may use Davis. The reporting station at the airport here in McKinney TX uses a Texas Weather WLS-8000. Campbell Scientific is good. From what I understand their stations are pretty customizable depending on what you want to report or what's accepted. But if you want something simple customisable and durable Davis is a good choice.

ftp://ftp.campbellsci.com/pub/outgoing/apnotes/siting.pdf

Somethings wrong with the link.

Greg, I hope it works out. First time I've heard of someone trying to establish an official NWS weather station at their home although not imposable. Keep us updated.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:08:19 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »
Link works for me

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
Link works for me
I'm getting a 404 error.

I am a storm chaser.

Greg_M

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »
How much are you thinking of spending? Davis as you can probably gather from other posts are the most popular choice for a wide range of uses including reporting stations. Some airports like those that send to the NWS may use Davis. The reporting station at the airport here in McKinney TX uses a Texas Weather WLS-8000. Campbell Scientific is good. From what I understand their stations are pretty customizable depending on what you want to report or what's accepted. But if you want something simple customisable and durable Davis is a good choice.

Greg, I hope it works out. First time I've heard of someone trying to establish an official NWS weather station at their home although not imposable. Keep us updated.

Well......probably not thousands of dollars or anything.
I was just wondering if there is some kind of minimum type of equipment set up they want before they "trust" your reporting enough to use it on TV.
The other thing is I really like scrounging around for stuff and trying to turn sow's ears into silk purses. But sometimes you just can't get there that way.
I really like to make things too, but I've had some recent set backs in the back/hip department so it's hard to do anything at the shop.
No doubt I will upgrade what I have and just didn't want to spend money going in the wrong direction
Thanks
 :-)

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
The best if you want accuracy with low price is the Davis Vantage Vue. You can get it for 263$ from Archer Trading Post www.archertradingpost.com/atp
Can't add additional sensors or stations but it does well for the price. Of course it's an all in one unit so a compromise will have to be made.

Or if you want more flexibility then go with the Pro. The anemometer needs to be 33' for anemometer. Archer sells this for 329$

Vue http://www.archertradingpost.com/atp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_7&products_id=77
Pro2 http://www.archertradingpost.com/atp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_7&products_id=3

I am a storm chaser.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:42:34 AM »
The best if you want accuracy with low price is the Davis Vantage Vue. You can get it for 263$ from Archer Trading Post www.archertradingpost.com/atp
Can't add additional sensors or stations but it does well for the price. Of course it's an all in one unit so a compromise will have to be made.

Or if you want more flexibility then go with the Pro. The anemometer needs to be 33' for anemometer. Archer sells this for 329$

Vue http://www.archertradingpost.com/atp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_7&products_id=77
Pro2 http://www.archertradingpost.com/atp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_7&products_id=3

The Pro2 wireless is expandable for slightly greater cost.  But here is the fully equipped cadillac of the Davis wireless systems.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »
Hey Greg,

I presume that "On the news in Albuquerque" means television weather. I think you should pose your question to the TV weather dept. Considering microclimates, any weather station would give "good enough" reports; the question would be, how reliable. I would think that in your climate, you should have a FARS unit. You should plan to upload to Wunderground and CWOP to give yourself a web presence. Here is siting guidance: http://smlweather.com/downloads/CWOP_Guide.pdf (big download).

Some folks on this forum automatically email weather conditions to stations so you could look into that.

One more thing. Many of these weather stations are "fair traded" so check for low (not advertised) prices. And, if there is an absolute "maximum" spending amount, be sure to include installation hardware.

WE LOVE TO SPEND OPM.

George

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
WE LOVE TO SPEND OPM.
George
Guilty as charged.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »
You should plan to upload to Wunderground and CWOP to give yourself a web presence.
Ya'd think by now people would remember which site had personal weather stations first.   :???:  Wish I knew what to do to keep us in that list.
Joe Torsitano

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »
"Ya'd think by now people would remember which site had personal weather stations first.   Confused  Wish I knew what to do to keep us in that list."

Sorry Joe.

I personally do not care for CWOP but it does serve a purpose. Beyond that, when I make personal recommendations, it should be understood that they are my personal preferences.

George