Author Topic: Must I stream NOAA radio to WU to broadcast it on my site?  (Read 8681 times)

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
Must I stream NOAA radio to WU to broadcast it on my site?
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question. :oops:

Is it necessary for me to stream NOAA radio to WU in order to broadcast it on my web site?

Suppose someone in my area already streams NOAA weather radio to WU in my area ... the same broadcast I get on my weather radio (but I don't stream it to WU). Now if I want to broadcast NOAA Radio on my web site, am I required to stream it to WU first? Even is someone else already streams it to WU? That seems silly and foolish if someone else already streams the same broadcast to WU.

What say you?

Thanks.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: Must I stream NOAA radio to WU to broadcast it on my site?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:47:40 PM »

You can set up a audio server on a computer you own.

The advantage of using WU is that you send up a single stream, they handle the traffic to other listeners. This allows you to stream to many more users than you can do on your home machine.

It is fine if there are multiple streams for a single location. That provides for some reduntancy in case severe weather takes out one of the streams (either power failure or Internet failure).

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »

Are you concerned that you may create an echo.

OK,OK I'm going to bed now.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »

You can set up a audio server on a computer you own.

The advantage of using WU is that you send up a single stream, they handle the traffic to other listeners. This allows you to stream to many more users than you can do on your home machine.

It is fine if there are multiple streams for a single location. That provides for some reduntancy in case severe weather takes out one of the streams (either power failure or Internet failure).

Wuhu:

I appreciate that WU is willing to buffer the streams for us and handle the bandwidth so we don't have to. But I still don't understand---am I able to broadcast someone else's audio (off WU) on my own web site? I own a WR-300, but it doesn't make sense to me to stream the audio to WU if someone else is already streaming the broadcast for my area. Other than having redundancy in case of a lost stream, I don't see any other advantage to having several people streaming the same audio--the same broadcast--to WU.

(Is S.A.M.E. the issue?)

So if Person A already streams to WU the same audio I would stream, instead of having me stream the same audio to WU, is it possible for me to broadcast Person A's audio from my web site? I wouldn't be stealing his bandwidth since it would come from WU, and I wouldn't be stealing WU's bandwidth since, if I stream the same audio to WU as Person A already streams, I would actually use more of WU's bandwidth.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline katlon

• LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
  • Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
    • LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 07:30:48 AM »
Kevin
I think you could stream another persons broadcast on your site without any problem. I know there are a few sites that stream my broadcast and they have never ask for my permission and WU has never put a stop to it. It might be a good gesture if you got in touch with the owner of the other site and explained the situation and let him/her know your intentions.

Lonnie

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »

I agree that there is no problem presenting the other stream from WU on your web page.

It would be nice if the source of the stream is advertised as coming from WU.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »
If you look on the WU radio page you will notice a couple of duplicates. I would go ahead and and stream it anyways for a couple of reasons. One, your stream might be a little cleaner and better then the other one. Two, you will be able to better monitor the up time and you will know when the stream goes offline if you host it vs if you stream someone else's feed. If their feed goes offline you might not never know and then you are left with a dead link on your page with no audio. Once that feed is sent to WU from a private source it then becomes part of public domain and can be used freely. You would be using WU bandwidth but you would be using it anyways if you streamed your own feed and added it to your site so their is no difference there. WU encourges mulitple feeds from the same location for reasons already discussed here (power failure, outage, offline, cleaner stream). IMO I would go ahead and stream your own feed to put on your site then you can say it is yours and can better monitor it.

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 07:56:10 AM »
Once that feed is sent to WU from a private source it then becomes part of public domain and can be used freely.

Huh? :?: You really don't think that do you?

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:37:50 AM »
Is the feed copyrighted? No it is not, because it is not original work. Therefore it becomes part of the public domain and can be used freely.... Especially since it is already being dist. to a third party being WU without royalties and not being published solely for private use by the user... Not to mention the initially media is part of a public service funded by the gov for public broadcast... Works created by an agency of the United States government are public domain at the moment of creation...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:01:20 AM by MesquiteXmas »

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »
Guess you weren't on the receiving end of the certified letters from WU's attorneys about using their trademark material from the web site then. It may have started out in the free domain courtesy of the NWS but it is being put out on the web by WU using their $$ and resources. I just think I'd make sure before just assuming it is free for the taking.

From WU: Upload, post, email, transmit, link to or otherwise make available any information on the Site that infringes any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights of others, or that contains any virus, computer code, file, or other material which has as its intended purpose, the interruption, destruction, or loss of functionality of any computer software, Data, hardware, telecommunications equipment, or communications ability;
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:14:34 AM by NoQuitters »

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »
I think you are mistaken with what is actually considered copyright and property of WU. Yes ORIGINAL work and property that was created by WU is copyrighted. This does not include a radio feed that is not theirs to own and is not original work of WU. Works created by an agency of the United States government are public domain at the moment of creation... If you think I am pulling your leg, go look it up. Also those letters were in reference to trademarked material in reference to the word "Weather Sticker" that people were using. Which I think is bogus but that is another story.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 06:11:52 PM »
OTOH, it is WU's server and bandwidth that are being used. They would certainly be with their rights to request that you not hotlink to their streams, and to use other means at their disposal to stop those links from working.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »
They would certainly be with their rights to request that you not hotlink to their streams.

Think about what you just said....

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 09:40:26 PM »
It's all really quite simple.

We link to their stream which was originally our stream unless of course we are visiting another webpage in which it becomes their stream of WU's stream of which was originally their stream of NOAA that was a public stream until we all rebroadcast it and called it our streams.  Now if we are outside of the normal broadcast range of their stream then we have to pay rights to the distant station...  no wait, that is national TV networks that do that.   ;) 

Now my head hurts.   #-o

We can debate it all day but in the end the only real way to cover your arse is to send an email both WU and the station you want to stream and get their approval, print it out, and lock it in a safe for future presentation upon request. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:47:01 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10