Author Topic: Mystery Vantage Vue Moulding  (Read 4026 times)

Sherwood Nash

Mystery Vantage Vue Moulding
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »

Was there/is there, a planned use for that moulding between the rain collector and the anemometer?

Or am I missing something blindingly obvious?  :?

Mike

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Mystery Vantage Vue Moulding
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:23:51 PM »
Optional aircraft warning light ?????? Bird perch ?????  :roll: :roll: :roll:

Offline linuxfreak

• Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Wink, wink!
    • Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:19:29 AM »
Unobtainium powered solar and UV sensor suite!  :twisted: #-o ;)

George
George
Davis VP2/FARS, VVP, WD, WL, WSWin, Cumulus, NexStorm, StrikeStar, NSLog, XPort(GPS), WASP2, DigitalAtmosphere, ScannerCast(WUradio), Intel Atom N330 dual-core, 2Gig ram, Windows XP Home SP3  #-o
CWOP - DW3112, PWS & WU - IONHAMIL2, AWEKAS - 5112, COWN, WML - WD01901

Offline daswx

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »
Anny "Dust Buster"..............?? ;)
Rain Gauge heat-gun......???
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:41:16 AM by daswx »

Sherwood Nash

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 10:16:36 AM »

Seriously, anyone?

Mike

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »
Sorry Mike, couldnt help myself (everyone else can speak for themselves...lol). That could be the injection point (the hole in the mold where the plastic flows in).

Offline baggins

• Elgin Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:38:09 AM »
Maybe it just happens to cover in a particular way some component underneath.

Sherwood Nash

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »

That could be the injection point (the hole in the mold where the plastic flows in).

Nope, (somewhat superfluous in design)

Maybe it just happens to cover in a particular way some component underneath.

& nope, (empty hollow)

I'll have a guess and say, Vue II watch this space?

Mike

Offline daswx

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 06:43:16 AM »
Levity aside..........I think it MAY be a space for a feature "to be announced"......
Kinda like the early Comcast set-top boxes, with the USB and/or Ethernet connectors......
No one knows/knew what they were /are for.......but, there they are!!!! ;)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
Sorry, you're all wrong - it's a mount for the soon to be announced Davis sky-hook that will allow you to install and take-down your Vue for routine maintenance all from the ground thus, eliminating the need to climb a ladder... \:D/

Those Davis engineers are just nothing short of amazing giving us such great equipment   =D>

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 08:28:33 PM »
They are just great. I've had a Vantage Pro2 since 2008. This last summer, I added the UV and Solar Radiation sensors. This coming spring, I'm thinking of adding the Daytime Fan Aspirated Shield. Nothing but high quality from the USA! None of that cheap crap from China.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 09:03:03 PM »
Uhhh...  where do you think all the electronic parts are coming from?  The plastic feedstock, bearings etc.?  There is a reason why they no longer say Made in USA.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:10:08 PM »
What??? Really? Just for the Vantage Vue or for Vantage Pro2s as well? Mine says made in the USA.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »
My vp2 console says "Made in USA".  My datalogger says made in taiwan on the wallwart.
My 6372 temp station sim/xmitter says "Made in the USA with imported and US parts"

Andrew

What??? Really? Just for the Vantage Vue or for Vantage Pro2s as well? Mine says made in the USA.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »
My guess is that the electronic components on the ISS transmitter board are imported. Like the supercap, resistors, transistors, diodes, etc.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 11:24:43 PM »
Not many electronic compotents are made in th US anymore  and have been like that  since Japan started making transistor. Those and chips  moved as there cost of manufacturing rose up.
 The  compontents may be assembly here but there are very few products  that are entirely  made  in the US any more. Even the rare earths use in electronic parts come from overseas namely China. Just an fact of life.

John

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »
My vp2 console says "Made in USA".  My datalogger says made in taiwan on the wallwart.
My 6372 temp station sim/xmitter says "Made in the USA with imported and US parts"

Andrew

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

So IOW if the  little rubber feet or the screws holding the case together are from China but everything else is US made (incl. screen, chips etc.) then they can call it Made in USA.  Otherwise they are breaking the law.  I have noticed over the years that fewer and fewer US companies tried to label USA made products as such.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 11:57:24 PM »
23 years ago when I started my current job, the guy I was replacing gave me some of his tools before he moved back to Sweden.  First was an adjustable wrench, which he made sure to point out was cast with "INVENTED IN SWEDEN" in the handle.  Next was another adjustable wrench, which he made sure to point out was cast with "FORGED IN USA" in the handle.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 01:41:14 AM »
  US Law says for an product to be label made in the USA  that 70 % of other component and labor must be in the USA. This was strongly stated in TV program about products made in USA vs products from abroad.  I'm sure some of you watched the same show.  As to those Adjustable wrench  on The MV Wickersham which cam from Norway when state of Alaska bougth it  they had wrenchs saying made in Norway and it left here with the forged in USA.