Author Topic: Finally have the new VP2 on the tower  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Hegesvlwthrmn

Finally have the new VP2 on the tower
« on: August 29, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
I was finally able to put the VP2 up this past weekend.  \:D/ Just before the Hurricane went through. We did not get much, just a lilttle bit  of rain and a small bit of wind. Wind topped out at 18 mph, while the rain total topped out at .72. The tower is 30' with an 8' mast. The ISS unit is right at 28'  facing just a bit S E due to a tree in the path of the Solar panel, while the anemometer is setting at 36' due North.

This picture is taken viewing SE:

Another SE:

This one facing Due West:

Next project is to look at getting the signal to the web. Not sure to use IP or USB yet.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:28:24 PM by Hegesvlwthrmn »

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Finally have the new VP2 on the tower
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 02:13:04 PM »
Looks nice. I'd love to have a taller tower like that. Certainly looks like it's seeing some action for it's first day on the job. This morning we were blessed with some rain. Hope everything works out

By the way, any plans to add UV, solar, leaf/soil, additional temperature or temp/humid stations?

This week I'm looking to buy the USB version of Weather Link. WL IP originally on my wish list but requires an internet router which can be tricky to setup. I'l keep everyone posted as things progress.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:15:30 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Hegesvlwthrmn

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:17:39 PM »
Thanks Tx.. I have the router, wireless and wired ports. So I am looking at the WLIP and the serial units for now. I picked up the tower a few years ago at a sale. Paid $30 for it. I built a base so I can lower it down to the yard for work.

Offline Hegesvlwthrmn

Update to Finally have the new VP2 on the tower
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 01:49:10 PM »
Finally have the camera mounted on the tower. I found a rather cheap FOSCAM mounting dome. Camera is a F18918W. We will see how it works out. I do not have it streaming to the internet yet. But that will come in time. Here is a picture I took this morning:

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 01:58:50 PM »
if it was me, I would not have the ISS/rain gauge mounted up on the tower like that
one problem would be drips of rain from the tower assemblies above giving false rain
and another is that air temperature should be recorded at a standard height above ground level (i.e eye level), over a grass surface...if possible
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Hegesvlwthrmn

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »
if it was me, I would not have the ISS/rain gauge mounted up on the tower like that
one problem would be drips of rain from the tower assemblies above giving false rain
and another is that air temperature should be recorded at a standard height above ground level (i.e eye level), over a grass surface...if possible

I have to agree with you. So far, the temp. readings, have not been any different than the temp unit I have mounted on my house. So I have not seen anything different. So far the rain measurements, It has not been any different than the rain guage I have mounted a eye height at another location. But I currently have no place to mount this one away from any structures, and clear from anything. I took the same approach as the vue, it is all one piece. As time goes I will make changes, this may be one of them if the readings are different than what I am reading with other guages on the property. The cable to the Anemometer to the main unit may not be long enough to where I need to place it. It would also make it easier to clean anything in the rain unit housing. This is my first and will learn as I go. Thanks for the input though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:57:22 AM by Hegesvlwthrmn »

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:29:18 AM »
You could easily mount the ISS on a post on the ground so that it isn't directly under the antenna and extend the anemometer wire down the mast and over to the ISS.  Put the crossover wire portion in a PVC pipe to protect it from wind and other damage.

There may not be much difference in nightly temperatures between the high mount you have now and a mount on a post if your climate is fairly humid and cloudy, but a lower mount will definitely make rain gauge maintenance easier. 

I'm telling you right now that the word is out among the birds in your neighborhood that you have mounted a black commode just for them.  :-)
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Hegesvlwthrmn

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
The picture is deceiving. The ISS is not directly under the antenna, it appears to be that way. The antenna is at minimum 4" away from the ISSM, then you add the mount on the ISSM, you have at least 6+ inches from the top of the ISSM bucket. So far I have not had any problem with birds, it has been up since May of this year. I had it down late last month and the ISSM is clean. I have already looked at a way to re-mount the ISSM. I just have to watch where I put it. I could loose my signal from the garage blocking it. I am watching all of my readings, as I have another system in a different area. So far all of the readings are the same, except for the wind speed.