Author Topic: WS-2000 intermittent connectivity  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Oilswell

WS-2000 intermittent connectivity
« on: October 27, 2018, 08:27:28 PM »
Hey all,

I've had this unit for about a month now and seems like roughly every 10-12 days I lose connectivity. The base is about 100' from the array and in clear sight and it has fresh batteries if that matters.

I end up pushing the reset button on the array then it'll be fine till next time.

Thoughts?

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
Re: WS-2000 intermittent connectivity
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 08:31:17 PM »
Sounds like ISP or router issue

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 08:40:34 PM »
Sounds like ISP or router issue

Status on the console shows 3/4 bars most of the time. Is there any way to confirm this that you know of? Router reboot help the situation?

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 08:41:45 PM »
whenever there is internet "weirdness", its always a good idea to boot your modem/router/switches/computer...

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »
whenever there is internet "weirdness", its always a good idea to boot your modem/router/switches/computer...

Thanks for the input, I'll give that a try and report back.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 08:51:48 PM by Oilswell »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 08:47:36 PM »
Check your router's DHCP service lease time for the local network. What is the expiration time length set to?

Is your WS-2000 using a static or DHCP address on the network?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 10:47:29 AM »
Is the outdoor array disconnecting from the display? That doesn’t have anything to do with your internet connection. Look at the history on your display. If there’s continuous data on the display but not on WU, or AW.net or whatever then it’s internet connectivity issue. If there are data gaps in diaplay’s history then it’s the array disconnecting from the display. Does the indoor sensor remain connected and show data? Link below to post I started with similar issue. Last things I tried have worked so far.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35285.0

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »
Is the outdoor array disconnecting from the display? That doesn’t have anything to do with your internet connection. Look at the history on your display. If there’s continuous data on the display but not on WU, or AW.net or whatever then it’s internet connectivity issue. If there are data gaps in diaplay’s history then it’s the array disconnecting from the display. Does the indoor sensor remain connected and show data? Link below to post I started with similar issue. Last things I tried have worked so far.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35285.0
Definately having connectivity drop between the array and console as there are gaps on the console data.

Not really seeing what your solution to your similar problem was though... Have you found the problem?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
Even though the problem seems to be between the console and the outdoor sensor array that problem could still be with the internal network. If the device is falling off the network or getting hung up, frozen, then it could cause it to stop receiving from the outdoor array even if the signal is good. So I asked how it was configured on the network for a reason. You may uncover that your DHCP lease time corresponds to the 10 or 12 days. I'm not saying I'm right. But you have to look at everything. If it turns out to be a DHCP problem then change your console to use a static address so that is doesn't use a DHCP lease. I've uncovered a DHCP problem with the Ambient ObserverIP when it uses a DHCP address....maybe the same is true for the WS-2000 display. I don't have one or I would have tested this theory (I have a WS-2902A).

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:35:06 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »
Galfert, if it’s a DHCP problem why would we only lose the outdoor array and not the indoor sensor also? WS-2000 has a separate indoor temp and pressure sensor, and I was NOT losing that data. Neither in the display nor on WU or PWS. So, the data that was available was getting through, but at times it was dropping outdoor array, and only outdoor. The one time I got no data at all on WU or PWS was when ISP had a global issue.

Oilswell, I moved my display a little further from my router and DirectTV genie, the only possible interferences in the room. I also angled the front of my display slightly towards the outdoor array then refreshed the outdoor array at the console. It’s been almost 72 hours since and no drops. I had hour plus drops the 2 days before that, so just repositioning and refreshing at the console seems to have helped.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 05:21:54 PM »
cjtamu,
I haven't heard from Oilswell if his indoor sensor is still reporting during his outage. He could be having a different issue than you.
Tele-Pole

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »
cjtamu,
I haven't heard from Oilswell if his indoor sensor is still reporting during his outage. He could be having a different issue than you. thanks
Indoor sensor always works when the array loses connection.

I'll look into the DHCP idea, might just take some time though as I'm not as PC savvy as I used to be these days. 😁

Thanks for all the ideas and input guys, I appreciate it.

Offline Buford T. Justice

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 05:56:28 PM »
If the console is showing dashes for the outdoor sensors then that is a problem between the console and the outdoor sensors, not the Internet.  If it was an Internet problem, there would be gaps in your log wherever you are sending it to.  I am guessing you are too far apart even at 100'.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »
cjtamu,
I haven't heard from Oilswell if his indoor sensor is still reporting during his outage. He could be having a different issue than you. thanks
Indoor sensor always works when the array loses connection.

I'll look into the DHCP idea, might just take some time though as I'm not as PC savvy as I used to be these days. 😁

Thanks for all the ideas and input guys, I appreciate it.

Thanks for the clarification. Not a DHCP issue if indoor sensor is working.
Tele-Pole

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 08:12:10 PM »
I am guessing you are too far apart even at 100'.
This is sad, It's probably more like 80'. Range sure is inflated by Ambient if this is the case.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »
Use Google maps. Zoom in to your property. Then right click on the map and choose Measure Distance. Then click on the location of station and then click on location of console. You'll get a good easy measurement. Let us know what distance you get.
Tele-Pole

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2018, 08:33:19 PM »
Use Google maps. Zoom in to your property. Then right click on the map and choose Measure Distance. Then click on the location of station and then click on location of console. You'll get a good easy measurement. Let us know what distance you get.
90'

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2018, 08:44:35 PM »
Ambient claims 300 feet unobstructed direct line, but typical performance is 100 feet. If you are at 90 feet then that just seems unfortunate and maybe either Ambient is over inflating performance or you have greater interference with building construction materials than what Ambient considers normal.
Tele-Pole

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 08:38:01 PM »
Well since the issues persist I've decided to relocate the array and see if there's any change. Unfortunately it's not as good of a location for accuracy concerning wind readings but it's only about 40'away from the console.

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »
Anything near the array that could cause interference? Power lines, radio tower? Mine is right at 60' and has stayed connected since I reoriented display and re-registered array 5 days ago. But I've seen several people say at 100' or a little more they're good.

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 05:57:20 PM »
Anything near the array that could cause interference? Power lines, radio tower? Mine is right at 60' and has stayed connected since I reoriented display and re-registered array 5 days ago. But I've seen several people say at 100' or a little more they're good.
No, unfortunately it's nothing but clear space.

So far though knock on wood, since moving it closer, all has been good.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an Ambient station, but these threads are giving me pause.  My tower is exactly 150' from where my console will be.  It's direct line of sight, but there are some power lines in the area.  I'd hate to drop $200 on a station that can't even reach my console.

This is another area where Davis destroys the competition.  If they'd package a decent 2018-era display with the Vue, it would be a no-brainer.

Now I remain undecided...      :-|
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
Order on Amazon and return it if it doesn't work. Sure there is some effort involved but you won't lose out on any money. Amazon makes it easy. Everyone's situation is different. We learn from each other. If you do get it whether it works or not please report back and let us know what results you got. No need for pause or hesitation.

If it doesn't work then you could try the Atlas and Access kit.

Lastly after exhausting those options then you'd be left with the Davis sure solution as you mentioned with its dated console but you gain a product with great reputation.

Well there is one other option and reason to pause and hesitate. You could wait for the Atlas Elite as that has a 1000 foot range like a Davis.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:58:56 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »
Order on Amazon and return it if it doesn't work. Sure there is some effort involved but you won't loose out on any money. Amazon makes it easy. Everyone's situation is different. We learn from each other. If you do get it whether it works or not please report back and let us know what results you got. No need for pause or hesitation.

If it doesn't work then you could try the Atlas and Access kit.

Lastly after exhausting those options then you'd be left with the Davis sure solution as you mentioned with its dated console but you gain a product with great reputation.

Well there is one other option and reason to pause and hesitate. You could wait for the Atlas Elite as that has a 1000 foot range like a Davis.

too bad Acurite won't/can't state an actual status/release date for the Elite..

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 02:15:53 PM »
After reading many threads, and blended with my own experience, it seems:

Acurite: low quality

Ambient: exaggerated transmission range/connectivity issues

Davis: console displays created by Atari in 1984

I guess it really comes down to what you care about most, and since I've got a Davis VP2 which serves as my main station, I may just give the Ambient a try.  I'd like to get it online and Ambient seems to be the easiest one to get online.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

anything